e-reader in Cebu

the.lone.gunman

the.lone.gunman

Does anyone know where to buy an e-reader like Kindle or Kobo in Cebu ? It would be for reading only, complicated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• afmayer

• the.lone.gunman

• Lordblacknail

• Julian C Thong

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm using the Aldiko as well and I like it for the same reasons you do. I liked it so much I got my gf one too, she likes the camera function and the wifi and she uses it for Facebook and Youtube and

RandyOdom

Not sure you can buy one here. You could have someone in your home country order one from Amazon and then have them ship to you Fed Ex. Just a suggestion.

afmayer

Does anyone know where to buy an e-reader like Kindle or Kobo in Cebu ? It would be for reading only, complicated.

If you just want to read ebook files on a computer there is software such as calibre.

Edited by afmayer
the.lone.gunman

Not sure you can buy one here. You could have someone in your home country order one from Amazon and then have them ship to you Fed Ex. Just a suggestion.

I thought of that. I can get a Kindle from Canada for 80 bucks, about 3500p. I'm just worried that Philippine Customs is gonna hose me and I'll end up paying another 10,000 p in duties and taxes etc................
Lordblacknail

Why in the world would customs be invovled if someone brings it in for you?

Lordblacknail

also, Calibre is not an eBook reader, although you can read books with it. Much better to dl a eBook reader, such as Kindle4PC free from Amazon, but an eBook reader is much preferable.

afmayer
also, Calibre is not an eBook reader, although you can read books with it.

"Not an ebook reader, although you can read books with it." Hmmmmm ... a little contradictory? It is an ebook reader and I use it all the time. It also happens to have many other features that is maybe confusing you?

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/

Edited by afmayer
MarinePride

I picked up a 5" Ebook reader at CDR King, Park Mall over three months ago, for just over P3200. I don't like the way it displays .pdf books, as there is no way to enlarge the print to the point where they are readable. It does handle the .epub format with no problem though and that is now I read most of the content. If there is a .pdf book that I want to read, I use Calibre and convert the .pdf file to a .txt file and load it onto the reader.

The SB 93 I'm using is also good for viewing video clips. Storage capacity is 4GB of flash memory built in. For the money, I'm happy with it. The only weak point I see is the built in rechargeable batteries on these type of devices. When the battery goes, the whole device gets chucked.

streak03

No, Calibre isn't an e-book reader. From the website:

Calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application developed by users of e-books for users of e-books. It has a cornucopia of features divided into the following main categories:

• Library Management
  • E-book conversion
  • Syncing to e-book reader devices
  • Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form
  • Comprehensive e-book viewer
  • Content server for online access to your book collection

An e-book reader is a portable electronic device that is designed primarily for the purpose of reading digital books and periodicals

I use the Sony PRS 700, have had it for a number of years and it's always worked well for me.

afmayer

No, Calibre isn't an e-book reader. From the website:

Calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application developed by users of e-books for users of e-books. It has a cornucopia of features divided into the following main categories:

• Library Management
  • E-book conversion
  • Syncing to e-book reader devices
  • Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form
  • Comprehensive e-book viewer
  • Content server for online access to your book collection

An e-book reader is a portable electronic device that is designed primarily for the purpose of reading digital books and periodicals

I use the Sony PRS 700, have had it for a number of years and it's always worked well for me.

From your embedded link ...

"Any device that can display text on a screen can act as an e-book reader ..."

A computer is a device that can display text on a screen ... thus is considered an e-book reader ...

and ...

"calibre is an ebook library manager. It can VIEW, convert and catalog ebooks in most of the major ebook formats ..."

from ...

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/

Edited by afmayer
Lordblacknail

yes it can, and I use it for that purpose when I dl a book that is not in Kindle format and I wish to see how it looks. But I have never read a book using the view feature of Calibre. It just isn't designed for that. I use it pretty much on a daily basis to convert one format to another, but I don't use it to manage or read my books.

And btw, once again, I have over 200K eBooks if anybody is looking for something in particular.

afmayer

yes it can, and I use it for that purpose when I dl a book that is not in Kindle format and I wish to see how it looks. But I have never read a book using the view feature of Calibre. It just isn't designed for that. I use it pretty much on a daily basis to convert one format to another, but I don't use it to manage or read my books.

And btw, once again, I have over 200K eBooks if anybody is looking for something in particular.

I use calibre everyday to read books on my laptop. If you try it, I think you will find that it is designed for that. I like it better than portable readers because of font (bigger size) capabilities in conjunction with a bigger screen (laptop). I like other calibre formatting options also. Much easier on my tired eyes than with the smaller screen of a smaller device. What is especially nice is the library management capabilities.

Some like the reader capabilities better than with Kindle ...

Calibre reader screenshot

Edited by afmayer
Lordblacknail

Well Afmayer, if it works for you great. But I use my Kindle to read books and the view tab on Calibre just to check out a book while I am converting it. I find the sepia tone mode on the Kindle4PC the best if I was going to read on the computer. The Kindle allows you to change the font size to pretty large if you need it.

Calibre library mangement doesn't work for me, because I might convert ten books with the same title before I am happy with one, and Calibre adds each of them to the library.

But that's why there are race tracks, differences of opinion.

Back to the OT... The kindle is available at iTech in the Maze in Ayala, ask for Cherry, she is great...

afmayer

Well Afmayer, if it works for you great. But I use my Kindle to read books and the view tab on Calibre just to check out a book while I am converting it. I find the sepia tone mode on the Kindle4PC the best if I was going to read on the computer. The Kindle allows you to change the font size to pretty large if you need it.

Calibre library mangement doesn't work for me, because I might convert ten books with the same title before I am happy with one, and Calibre adds each of them to the library.

But that's why there are race tracks, differences of opinion.

OP expressed a desire to purchase a Kindle. There was some debate over his ability to purchase one in Cebu. I was merely informing him of another way to read ebooks, not to argue the merits of one method over another. Several posts declared that Calibre cannot read ebooks at all ... or is not a good reader. I know these statements to be false/uninformed as I have been using Calibre for quite some time. In fact, I gave my kindle (an early model) away months ago and use Calibre exclusively. OP deserves to know that there are alternative methods if he cannot find a kindle and not be subjected to false statements.