I have had the following Crime happen to ME

Stranded Shipscook

Crime statistic  

86 members have voted

1. 1. I have had the following Crime happen to ME

• I was robbed with force ( Knife, Gun etc.)
    • I was pickpocket ( not loosing things, but proven pickpocket !)
    • I was burglarized, have Police report made.
    • I was burlarized, but i think, it was an inside job(maid,etc), so i didnt bother going the Police
    • I was robbed by a prostitute or under circumstances that were connected with Red lite dictrict
    • I was frauded by "business proposal" and other trick schemes.
    • I was frauded by a Trick Thieve. Lured into changign money,gambling etc.
    • Others, please state exact case as warning for others.
    • Nothing ever happend to me !

Alan S

Looking at the stats so far, only 20% have NOT been victims of some crime, and nearly 5% have been robbed at gunpoint.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stranded Shipscook

• broden

• UZI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do not agree with that part. Certain tricykad drivers (in certain neighborhoods) and or habal habal drivers might be into some "gang" activities, but for the most part tricycle drivers are just midd

Yes, definitely, a multiple response of every lurker and troll.   i don't see anything discriminating and shameful in being a victim of a crime.

some people pay for that kind of action anyway

Posted Images

Used a fixer for 4 years to do my truck registration renewal. Suddenly the fixer guy vanishes with my truck papers and the money (7k) for the renewal. Didn't know he was in trouble with many other people and decided to do a bunk...

Stranded Shipscook

Nothing has happened to me yet, not sure if my vote should count due to the fact that I've only spent 16 weeks in the Philippines in the past 1 and 1/2 years. :)

It counts a lot and is important. Criminals target "innocent people" and considering that so many people look for "Tips" in LinC, meaning, that they are "innocent and new to the Philippines" your story is even more important to them.

I can tell a little personal anecdote about that. When i arrived the first time in the Philippines, my brother was living here already many years.

He and his friends made it a "funtime" to get me near possible "trick thieves" and let me "run" into the situations. But of course i was sort of "guarded" by him and his friends. Believe it or not, i did not even had my own money on me in the first week ! Like a child. We had great fun and i learned a lot during this initial weeks.

Jack_be_nimble

Thieving is not the only thing I wonder how it is so common with the church so prevalent. The other things I wonder about aren't normally "criminal" however.

Maybe, without the influence of the church - crime would be much worse. Or the stance on birth control negates the spiritual gain.

Edited by Jack_be_nimble
Maybe Next Yr

It counts a lot and is important. Criminals target "innocent people" and considering that so many people look for "Tips" in LinC, meaning, that they are "innocent and new to the Philippines" your story is even more important to them.

I can tell a little personal anecdote about that. When i arrived the first time in the Philippines, my brother was living here already many years.

He and his friends made it a "funtime" to get me near possible "trick thieves" and let me "run" into the situations. But of course i was sort of "guarded" by him and his friends. Believe it or not, i did not even had my own money on me in the first week ! Like a child. We had great fun and i learned a lot during this initial weeks.

Well I've traveled quite a bit and think I'm pretty careful and aware of taking care of things ... not really naive. But good poll/post ... looks of things to watch out for in PI.

Stranded Shipscook

Well I've traveled quite a bit and think I'm pretty careful and aware of taking care of things ... not really naive. But good poll/post ... looks of things to watch out for in PI.

I didn't mean to say, that you're naive...sorry if it appeared so.

However, everyone who is "new" to any surrounding, acts different then one who is a longer time in any place.

if i'd walk around in, lets say Thailand, with my precaution and "confident attitude" i display in the Philippines, i'd be on top of the list of snatchers.

Other countries, other customs.

Oh, and i am still a potential target even here, its just that they run "empty" in their attempts. Which makes me wonder how many times somebody tried to pickpocket me just to find out, that there is only a handkerchief in my back pocket. Or been on my property or inside my car just to find out, that there isn't anything to steal ?

I will never know.

• Like 1
Julian C Thong

I feel a bit left out, been here nearly 5 years and no problems, other than leaving a towel after a swim, not stolen, just forgotten.

Number one problem seems to be the yaya's. Never had one as I just don't like the idea.

I have travelled quite a bit and that builds up street awareness and don't trust anyone unless I've known them for some years.

Now the UK and Europe, that's a different matter, robbed, burgled, cars, ripped off and so on.

• Like 2

I can't complain really. A while back there was a flood in my house while I was down South and the land lady came with some of her hired helpers and rescued my belongings for the most part. I ended up missing a few things, a case of beer, a 3D cell Mag LED flashlight, I think one other item that slips my mind.

On one hand it irks me, on the other hand that is a cheap price for the favor they did. I would have given pesos and beer anyway.

Bill H

Guess I've been lucky. I got slammed after withdrawing cash from an ATM machine by a gang of teenagers in broad daylight. They waited until I was a couple blocks away from the ATM since there are armed guards there. All I had to defend myself was a newspaper that I rolled into as tight a roll as I could quickly. Using that, I attacked them. They were not prepared for my aggression, which set them back a bit before coming at me again. I didn't want to really hurt anyone, since I've heard you can get in big trouble for that; so I mostly used the newspaper to bash them in the head (aiming at eyes and noses) also used my knees and elbows a bit when things got thick. Fortunately, they didn't pull any knives and a armored car pulled up to a business just 20 meters from me. One guard got out with his shot gun and stood behind the truck, so I beat my way over to him. As I got close, he pointed the gun at the kids and they scattered. He never said a word to me, had a completely blank expression on his face, but I stood next to him and said, "I think I'll just stand here for a little bit if you don't mind." He cracked the slightest grin at that. Some people came out of their businesses and offered me refuge, but the kids were gone, so after a few minutes I walked back to my hotel the 10,000p still in my pocket.

On two occasions someone has tried to pick my pockets, but I wear cargoes and keep my money in buttoned down pockets which are very difficult to get into. On both occasions I felt the attempt and slapped the hand away "vociferously." Of the two, I only caught a glimpse of one and it was a kid wearing a blue shirt. Couldn't tell who the other was, I was in a very crowded market packed with people.

Regards,

Bill

• Like 1
Stranded Shipscook

Guess I've been lucky. I got slammed after withdrawing cash from an ATM machine by a gang of teenagers in broad daylight. They waited until I was a couple blocks away from the ATM since there are armed guards there. All I had to defend myself was a newspaper that I rolled into as tight a roll as I could quickly. Using that, I attacked them. They were not prepared for my aggression, which set them back a bit before coming at me again. I didn't want to really hurt anyone, since I've heard you can get in big trouble for that; so I mostly used the newspaper to bash them in the head (aiming at eyes and noses) also used my knees and elbows a bit when things got thick. Fortunately, they didn't pull any knives and a armored car pulled up to a business just 20 meters from me. One guard got out with his shot gun and stood behind the truck, so I beat my way over to him. As I got close, he pointed the gun at the kids and they scattered. He never said a word to me, had a completely blank expression on his face, but I stood next to him and said, "I think I'll just stand here for a little bit if you don't mind." He cracked the slightest grin at that. Some people came out of their businesses and offered me refuge, but the kids were gone, so after a few minutes I walked back to my hotel the 10,000p still in my pocket.

On two occasions someone has tried to pick my pockets, but I wear cargoes and keep my money in buttoned down pockets which are very difficult to get into. On both occasions I felt the attempt and slapped the hand away "vociferously." Of the two, I only caught a glimpse of one and it was a kid wearing a blue shirt. Couldn't tell who the other was, I was in a very crowded market packed with people.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for the good description of the robbery attempt. Where did this exactly happened, as the gang of robbers is still posing a potential danger now ?

TheMatrix

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for sharing. That was entertaining, though quite exhilarating at the time, I'm sure. I like the part where you're bashing them in the head with your rolled up newspaper. I can envision five punks attacking an expat and getting beat down. heehee

Bill H

General Maximilian a couple of blocks up from the church. I normally stay at the Mango Park Hotel, so I'm pretty familiar with that area and have never had a problem before. People told me after the fact it was one of many gangs of feral kids that wander the streets day and night doing crime. Some say they have "adult" handlers, some say no. The laws in the Philippines are very lenient with under age criminals, so basically, even when caught they are let go. I'm fortunate no knives were pulled on me, it would have been more difficult to defend myself and not hurt anyone. Guess I'm just lucky. I always try to be very aware of my surroundings and had seen these kids sleeping on the sidewalk earlier in the day, but didn't observe anyone watching me when I went to the ATM. The kid gangs are out there, I guess the best thing to do is duck into a business if you see them coming.

Bill

Bill H

The Matrix said:

though quite exhilarating at the time, I'm sure.

<blushing> Yeah, truth be told, I did kinda enjoy it. I particularly enjoyed the look on their faces when an old fat foreigner came at them with his tiger face on! Priceless is as good a word as any that comes to mind. This worked for me, but I'm kinda stupid sometimes and a combat vet with a lot of martial arts training. I'm not so sure I'd recommend what I did to others. The thing was, I worked hard for that 10,000p and I just wasn't willing to let some punk ass kid who should be in school have it without a fight. Now if they had pulled a gun, I would have used my throw down wallet and run. I'm stupid sometimes, but not that stupid.

Bill

• Like 1
Stranded Shipscook

The Matrix said:

<blushing> Yeah, truth be told, I did kinda enjoy it. I particularly enjoyed the look on their faces when an old fat foreigner came at them with his tiger face on! Priceless is as good a word as any that comes to mind. This worked for me, but I'm kinda stupid sometimes and a combat vet with a lot of martial arts training. I'm not so sure I'd recommend what I did to others. The thing was, I worked hard for that 10,000p and I just wasn't willing to let some punk ass kid who should be in school have it without a fight. Now if they had pulled a gun, I would have used my throw down wallet and run. I'm stupid sometimes, but not that stupid.

Bill

well, fight or flight...physiological or psychological response...both maybe ( You know the answer anyway :shitstormretarded: )

I like it that you don't recommend to always defend and that one has to weigh the options first. It is important to be aware and avoid any situation causing potential crime. Mango Avenue ( Gen. Maxilom ) is one of those places.

Now I see why things will never change in the Philippines. When people know there are no punishment for there crimes they will do it more and more.