I have had the following Crime happen to ME

Stranded Shipscook

Crime statistic  

86 members have voted

1. 1. I have had the following Crime happen to ME

• I was robbed with force ( Knife, Gun etc.)
    • I was pickpocket ( not loosing things, but proven pickpocket !)
    • I was burglarized, have Police report made.
    • I was burlarized, but i think, it was an inside job(maid,etc), so i didnt bother going the Police
    • I was robbed by a prostitute or under circumstances that were connected with Red lite dictrict
    • I was frauded by "business proposal" and other trick schemes.
    • I was frauded by a Trick Thieve. Lured into changign money,gambling etc.
    • Others, please state exact case as warning for others.
    • Nothing ever happend to me !

I had the valve caps nicked off my car but I don't think that counts, so I voted nothing. In the sub division in Laguna, a neighbor was broken in to & most agreed it was the maids boyfriend. My nephew had his phone snatched but apart from that no other neighbors or friends have had anything either that they have mentioned anyway.....now if we were talking about in Malaysia I could tell you LOADS but here nope...sorry.

• Like 1
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stranded Shipscook

• broden

• UZI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do not agree with that part. Certain tricykad drivers (in certain neighborhoods) and or habal habal drivers might be into some "gang" activities, but for the most part tricycle drivers are just midd

Yes, definitely, a multiple response of every lurker and troll.   i don't see anything discriminating and shameful in being a victim of a crime.

some people pay for that kind of action anyway

Posted Images

johnormoc

Two of the 4 housekeepers we've employed over the years have stolen money from us. The largest amount was P2,000 the most recent employee lifted out of my wife's purse. When she was confronted about it, she resigned. We've had clothes go missing which we also suspect the housekeepers of taking. The clothes were all my wife's. I had a pair of leather custom made slippers and a motorcyle helmet stolen off our front patio when we lived in Alegria, Ormoc. I've had two lawyers accept money for services which they never completed. This is pretty standard here from what I've been told but I still consider it being swindled. I got bum rushed once by a bunch of street kids. Several tried to distract me while a couple others were trying to go through my pockets. I pushed them off me without losing anything. A couple of the rats were angry over not getting any money from me and I had to force their hands out of my pockets. These kids were all less than 10 years old. This tactic was very common back in the 90's when it happened so I was immediatley aware of what was happening and had no remorse pushing a few of them forcibly off me into the mud. We had some housing materials stolen when we were building our house and one attempted break in about 2 months ago. My wife had a necklace stolen right off her neck in Ormoc when I wasn't with her one day at the public market. Petty crime here is everywhere but the worst to me is the corruption everywhere. We were extorted numerous times by the Cebu Maritime Office and Coast Guard when we had our ferry business and I've experienced 3 attempted extortions by the police over the years for made up offenses. About 3 months ago, a bookkeeper we employed said we owed thousands of pesos to the BIR and we were to go to the Ormoc office and ask for a specific lady and pay her directly. I smellled a rat so we went there to clear things up, avoided the person he told us to contact and talked with a different lady. She said our taxes were all in order and we owed nothing extra. When we advised her what our bookkeeper told us, she asked us to please go and not make any trouble over it. She said sometimes bookkeepers and accountants make "arrangements" with a couple bad apples at the BIR to swindle people and then split the money. She advised it was best if we just let it go and not make trouble or we might REALLY have some trouble. The bookkeeper was fired that day.

Overall I consider myself lucky. With all the attempts to relieve me of my money over the years, I've fended off most of them. I really miss those slippers though.

• Like 2

About 3 months ago, a bookkeeper we employed said we owed thousands of pesos to the BIR and we were to go to the Ormoc office and ask for a specific lady and pay her directly. I smellled a rat so we went there to clear things up, avoided the person he told us to contact and talked with a different lady. She said our taxes were all in order and we owed nothing extra. When we advised her what our bookkeeper told us, she asked us to please go and not make any trouble over it. She said sometimes bookkeepers and accountants make "arrangements" with a couple bad apples at the BIR to swindle people and then split the money. She advised it was best if we just let it go and not make trouble or we might REALLY have some trouble. The bookkeeper was fired that day.

good advice from you and the bir lady and glad you followed her advice, some people think they are doing the right thing to pursue it , but the lady who advised you would know it was not a good idea as it would not just the lady it probably went all the way up. most setups are well covered (the staff know their boss is in on it) and if it smells fishy then do what you did.

Edited by frenzy3
TheMatrix

I choose "Other", cause I was robbed of my motorcycle helmet not once, not twice, but three times!

Oh, I almost forgot... I was a victim of a "snatcher" in Colon. Chased after him for 20min's, finally lost him in some tight walkway squatter area where I almost cut my head on low hanging roof lines. Filed police report, did my own investigation, identified snatcher, took information to police, they apprehended suspect and retrieved my item. Guess I got lucky.

Thieving seems to be a major thing in this country. Makes you wonder how these same people go to Church on Sunday, but still break a commandant without remorse.

• Like 3

Was exchanging money at a money exchanger boot in Ermita, Manila when I luckily noticed she had folded some notes in to her palm.

After that I only exchanged money in Robinsson Mall and in a money exchanger recommended by the hotel I was staying in. This happened a year ago.

How about because this is a public forum? What possible reason would we keep the information secret? Why on earth would someone want to tell Geunther in secret that they were robbed? What purpose would that serve? Dennis

I agree that you would probably get more responses had the poll been made private.

RetiredNavyGuy

Thieving seems to be a major thing in this country. Makes you wonder how these same people go to Church on Sunday, but still break a commandant without remorse.

Thieving is not the only thing I wonder how it is so common with the church so prevalent. The other things I wonder about aren't normally "criminal" however.

Stranded Shipscook

I agree that you would probably get more responses had the poll been made private.

Yes, definitely, a multiple response of every lurker and troll.

i don't see anything discriminating and shameful in being a victim of a crime.

• Like 3
TheMatrix

Yes, definitely, a multiple response of every lurker and troll.

i don't see anything discriminating and shameful in being a victim of a crime.

Well, it's okay to be a little shameful. After all, we had to let our guard down to become a victim in the first place.

After travelling around the Philippines for a number of years without any problems i decided to use a wallet, Big mistake,within a couple of hours of carrying it,it was taken by a pickpocket on a jeepny.I have never carried one since and have had no further trouble.

• Like 1
SillAnthony

The worst case I heard of was when a US Filipino took a prostitute home (not from a bar but one "arranged" by a "friend"), they later robbed him and stole 500,000 pesos in cash he had in his beach house.

Lesson learned! Better not take a prostitute home aye' mate? hehe

Topper

I noticed all of the crimes were committed by other that family members. Ten would get you Twenty if you posted a pole asking what crimes were committed by family members, you would be surprised how many were. I never had a problem on the streets (thank God), but I sure have been riped off my many a family member.

I never had a problem on the streets (thank God), but I sure have been riped off my many a family member.

Topper, do they really feel like family members? You're in a strange country and you meet this girl and this brood that she has... do they really feel like family members?

• Like 1
Maybe Next Yr

Nothing has happened to me yet, not sure if my vote should count due to the fact that I've only spent 16 weeks in the Philippines in the past 1 and 1/2 years. :beer2:

and once we were in the middle of a small shoot out on Sanciangko street, nothing i've not been in the middle of before, some dumb kid swiped something off a vendor or out of a small shop and ran they shot at him he was shooting back at them everyone hit the floor but me. my wife dove in to a cab so i walked around to the other side and got in.. my wife and the cabbie were both on the floor. the kid got winged by a bullet i know cause soon after i got in to the can be begged me to let him in and got blood on the window. i waved at him the cabbie dove back to hit the lock .. which i may of locked already out of habit i don't remember.

i don't remember which of those two things happened first. but i think it was after the one on Sanciangko and my wife (to be) telling her how calm i was, that my Mother in law asked me to start watching over the rest of the family when they had to go somewhere.

Holy Smokes Broden. Great thread, I wonder if Smokey's got more to add?