'Ball Cutter' fish that bites men's testicles caught in Papua New Guinea

'Ball Cutter' fish that bites men's testicles caught in Papua New Guinea

A fish said to castrate fishermen has been caught by a British man.

Talia Ralph

GlobalPost.com

December 28, 2011

It may sound like a legend on par with Sasquatch and the Loch Ness Monster, but the notorious "Ball Cutter" fish is real.

Jeremy Wade, a 53-year-old British fisherman, caught a Pacu fish in Papua New Guinea that has bitten the testicles off at least two local men, The Sun reported.

"I had heard of a couple of fishermen in Papua New Guinea who had been castrated by something in the water," Wade told The Sun. "The bleeding was so severe that they died. The locals told me that this thing was like a human in the water, biting at the testicles of fishermen. They didn't know what it was."

Wade managed to reel the muscular fish into his small wooden boat and wrestled it to the floor. Pacu fish are native to the Amazon, where they need their teeth to crack into the tough cases of nuts and seeds. They were introduced to Papua New Guinea 15 years ago, and began eating meat for lack of vegetarian options, The Sun reported.

Wade tracked down the elusive creature, a 40-pound fish with remarkably human teeth that resemble molars, as part of his television series River Monsters, which airs on Animal Planet. Wade and his team of four spent 14 weeks traveling around the world to film the third season of the show. He captured a total of seven animals, including an electric eel which stopped human hearts in Brazil, before releasing them back into the wild, the Sun reported.

shark_teeth_ballcutter_fish.jpg

The Pacu fish — known to locals as the "Ball Cutter" — has much more human-like teeth than this shark, but they're just as deadly. (Ian Waldle/AFP/Getty Images)

AlooGobi

I'm thinking a waist deep pool at the back of the court house,upon a guilty verdict,the pedophile has the option of chemical castration or a swim with the fish

• Like 1

Used to go fishing at Bungsamran Lake in Bangkok, famous for its Mekong catfish. There are some Pacu there but thankfully still sticking to their vegetarian diet.

If anyone is off to Bangkok and fancies a day out fishing then Bungsamran is well worth a visit, especially mid-week when its quieter.

How do those teeth resemble molars?

EDIT: NM, the picture is completely misleading. Not the fish in question.

Edited by locktite
I'm thinking a waist deep pool at the back of the court house,upon a guilty verdict,the pedophile has the option of chemical castration or a swim with the fish

Aloo;

I like your thinking. The only thing i would change is the option to choose. Fish only.

How do those teeth resemble molars?

EDIT: NM, the picture is completely misleading. Not the fish in question.

Those are sharks teeth but it does make reading the article even more scary imagining any kind of razor sharp biters in action near one's private parts.

Edited by Filbert
streak03

Hmm..sort of look like my ex wifes teeth...anyhow from reading some of the posts in various topics on the board lately, sounds like some of the folks here have already had run ins with this pesky fish....

Edited by streak03
Alfred E. Neuman

They eat anything, I used to feed them mice.

shadow

Once while fishing in the Flaming Gorge in SW Wyoming, several canoeists were fishing about a half mile from me. Next think I knew they were yelling and screaming and paddled like hell to the marina.

Later when I put in, I learned that one of them was dangling his foot over the side when a Northern Pike grabbed it. He landed the fish in the canoe with his foot, 34 pounds! Shredded his foot, rumors were it was over a year before he could walk again after multiple surgeries, etc...

Larry in Dumaguete

temp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden
It may sound like a legend on par with Sasquatch and the Loch Ness Monster

i think bigfoot and nessie are going to be really insulted by this comparison

Alfred E. Neuman

I'm having difficulty trying to load my video.. I had snakeheads(halwan) that jumped out of the pond and mangled my index finger. They're banned in the US aka frankenfish.