Smart...The Worst ISP in The World!

I tell you SmartBro does work well in some places,especially in the city but man did they used to annoy me when I was in out-of-town places and the signal was so slow. What was most annoying was that back then I never knew of the daily or 5 day promos so I was paying by the minute. Anyway, here is some of the names I would come up for them as I was waiting patiently for my web pages to load:

NoGoBro

SoSlowbro

F***UBro

OhNoBro

SmartNo

SlowBro

WTFBro

..... I'm sure there were lots more.... :rofl:

FYI - Smartbro = PLDT! Sister company as PLDT owns them!!!

To the OP, if you are getting consistent 500K of internet from SmartBro, that's not bad really. They did not promise you 1MB of service, they promised you "Up To" 1MB of service. BIG difference!

Regarding the dongle, get a powered usb hub so the dongle will have consistent power, and get a 2-3 meter USB extension cable so that you can find the place that gives you the best signal. Try near windows!

Edited by Bob Ward
David Spicer

I have had the same antenna on the roof flavor of SmartBro for 4 years now. Over the last few weeks it has been varying in speed for whatever reason. Lately I normally get anywhere from .70 Mb/s all the way up to 1.65 Mb/s down, and almost always right at .30 Mb/s up. Hopefully they will fix the problem eventually, but it sure beats the .25 Mb/s average up and down that I was getting with it 4 years ago.

I can't really complain about SmartBro. I only pay P999 a month and for 4 years now, if I have power then I have Internet. How many can say the same?

ArieBombarie

we got little issues with our smart, but I think there is little dedicated bandwith so if you are in an area with a lot of usage your performance will drop, the performance issues are likely not isp wide but very regional

Im in Manila right now and in one of the most busy hubs in Makati and still the speed is 1.5 mbps with smart bro power plug it wireless...when i first took it, the speed was 4-5 mbps but then slowly they reduced the speed, when i started downloading more movies and watched youtube....

i think they cut the seed limit depending upon the usage

Yes I agree, I noticed the speed dropped significantly after a few weeks and once they seen I was downloading torrents on the 200 unlimited over 5 days. I would often leave it running over night to download a movie or something, probably a waste of time since I could just walk down to a market and buy a latest movie for a few pesos :P - I guess if you are prepared to buy a new sim occasionally then it would be reset!

From my old Globe contract:

5. Peer to-Peer download speed is restricted to a maximum of 20% of the subscribed maximum speed regardless of type of plan.

Should the subscriber use the service beyond the allowed parameters as provided herein in violation of the acceptable user policy, then

INNOVE (Globe) reserves the right to limit the subscribers service. The download volume allowance is in accordance with the following

schedule whether time-base or regular packages:

384 kbps plan - 15 gigabytes per month

512 kbps plan - 20 gigabytes per month

1 Mbps plan - 25 gigabytes per month

1.5 Mbps plan - 30 gigabytes per month

2 Mbps plan - 35 gigabytes per month

I can just recommend that you read your service agreement

Julian C Thong

May I enquire, what is a black dongle. Inserting it made my eyes light up.

• 2 weeks later...
Thalcoozyo

We use SmartBro at our place on So. Leyte. In town, close to the tower, it is fairly decent. But at home, where we are about 2 miles line-of-sight to the tower, we have really slow speed and none if it is rainging badly.

So... anyone know how to "boost" the reception ability of the dongle? To put it near a window doesn't help. Yes, to go outside helps a little but one cannot be sitting in the lawn for internet all hours of the day/night.

I'd be happy if it would just be "perked up" a little.

Suggestions?

That's about what the internet is all about in the Phils. If it works, even slowly, be happy.

We use SmartBro at our place on So. Leyte. In town, close to the tower, it is fairly decent. But at home, where we are about 2 miles line-of-sight to the tower, we have really slow speed and none if it is rainging badly.

So... anyone know how to "boost" the reception ability of the dongle? To put it near a window doesn't help. Yes, to go outside helps a little but one cannot be sitting in the lawn for internet all hours of the day/night.

Suggestions?

Possbily CD-R King might have accessories like that to boost the signal.

We had a Wi-Fi booster that made other users not very happy. I would dominate the wireless router when we were on line. Boosted 2 bar receive to 4 bars. And I'm sure the transmit was also boosted.

Suggestions?

Get an usb extension cable, and put the dongle on the extension, now move the dongle around until you find the best location, normally it should be at a window facing the tower

usb cable http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=5957&main=4