British national detained in Cebu over Christmas Day

USMC-Retired

... Unfortunately for us, our daughter was struck by a bus directly in front of the school. Luckily he was not speeding, until after he hit her. Not sure about the math, but she ended up 20 feet from where she was struck. Once he realized he had hit her, he made a direct trip to the police to present his side of how it happened.

Perhaps the bus driver also wanted to avoid getting mauled by angry bystanders.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ckfm

• Stranded Shipscook

• UZI

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cary,   You have been here long enough to know, that even if the driver was Pinoy (bus or truck drivers) get locked up in a fatal accident while the police investigate & take statements etc. We

I have just added Driving a car to my list of things to not do in the Philippines:   ^ Do not get Married ^ Do not Drive a car

A Filipino version of the sort of comment so often seen here on LinC. Read yours again.

Stranded Shipscook

In the uk there are a lot of gangs who work the insurance payouts in their favour by setting up false accidents.... An example would be slamming on your brakes in an emergency stop when someone is tailgating you...then you make out you have whiplash from getting rear ended.I always thought a gang in the Philippines could really clean up here since its so biased towards the injured regardless of fault. I guess the fact that a lot of locals do hit and runs might stop this from working in the Philippines.

Sounds like a good idea for my next visit to Germany :D

Here it wouldn't work for two reasons, the insurances sums are too small, the drivers don't have any money and IF they have, they have Lawyers that will put YOU at fault in the end. After ten years or so a supreme court may eventually decide in your favour, but most people don't even try to go that way. ("Sorry, that you hit me, Sir xxxxxx") :rofl:

Exemptions apply !!

Practical advise for anybody who got hit by a big car... be nice and don't make a fuss, then in most cases the rich guy will pay for your damage voluntary. Cash or insurance.

If one even raise his voice, he is maybe doomed to go the legal way....

That is not a fantasy story, i heard that a few times by the "hitters" themselves. Once they feel insulted, they go the hard way.

STVO

http://www.gesetze-i...e/stvo/__1.html

§ 1 Grundregeln

(1) Die Teilnahme am Straßenverkehr erfordert ständige Vorsicht und gegenseitige Rücksicht.

(2) Jeder Verkehrsteilnehmer hat sich so zu verhalten, daß kein Anderer geschädigt, gefährdet oder mehr, als nach den Umständen unvermeidbar, behindert oder belästigt wird.

now, i have to translate, nobody has apparently translated this ( huhuhu), ok, here it comes, don't laugh please :

(1) The participation in Public Traffic requires constant alertness and mutual consideration.

(2) Every Participant has to act in accordance, that no other will be harmed, endangered or more as under the given circumstance unavoidable, inconvenienced or harassed.

pheeew. Kinda hart to translate, that legal stuff.

Nothing new here and there is no proof that the driver violated any of those rules.

Many pedestrians in the Philippines have no awareness of traffic and the #1 rule in the Philippines is that the strongest and biggest has right of way.

This kind of collides with the way accidents involving pedestrians are handled, assuming a homicide?!? That plain stupid, sorry. There also seems to be a different way Bus or Trucking companies are treated in a court of law, 200,000 pesos/death is the going rate if one of their drivers should kill somebody on the road. I was even told that many companies advice their drivers not to leave injured people behind, only dead (often cheaper).

The public outcry also often focuses very fast on a lump to be paid to the relatives left behind and who is gone pay for the burial and mourning.

Headshot

Unfortunately for us, our daughter was struck by a bus directly in front of the school. Luckily he was not speeding, until after he hit her. Not sure about the math, but she ended up 20 feet from where she was struck. Once he realized he had hit her, he made a direct trip to the police to present his side of how it happened.

I don't know how fast the bus was travelling that struck your daughter, but I will relate an incident where I did know the speed of the vehicle. I was the convoy commander for a large military convoy making its way through a construction area in Osan, Korea. Because of the construction, the opposite lane of traffic was stopped and we were travelling at less than 5 MPH. A 5-year-old Korean boy ran between two buses in the opposing lane and right in front of the bumper of one of our deuce-and-a-half trucks, which immediately hit him. The driver never ever saw him until he was flying off the front bumper. Of course, the driver stopped immediately, and went to see if the boy was OK. The little boy was thrown over 30 feet from the point of impact.

This all happened directly in front of a police station, and there were several policemen who witnessed the accident. At first, we weren't sure if the boy would live because he was unconscious, but he was taken immediately to the local hospital where he made a full and speedy recovery (minor concussion and bruises on his side where the bumper hit him). The driver was immediately arrested (because it is always the driver's fault if a pedestrian is hit), but I was able to get him released later that night after I took care of the hospital bill and a small payment to the family. My point is that with a large vehicle, it doesn't take much speed to send a child flying quite a ways from the point of impact. When a large mass hits a small mass, the small mass will go flying.

• Like 1

I don't know how fast the bus was travelling that struck your daughter, but I will relate an incident where I did know the speed of the vehicle. I was the convoy commander for a large military convoy making its way through a construction area in Osan, Korea. Because of the construction, the opposite lane of traffic was stopped and we were travelling at less than 5 MPH. A 5-year-old Korean boy ran between two buses in the opposing lane and right in front of the bumper of one of our deuce-and-a-half trucks, which immediately hit him. The driver never ever saw him until he was flying off the front bumper. Of course, the driver stopped immediately, and went to see if the boy was OK. The little boy was thrown over 30 feet from the point of impact.

This all happened directly in front of a police station, and there were several policemen who witnessed the accident. At first, we weren't sure if the boy would live because he was unconscious, but he was taken immediately to the local hospital where he made a full and speedy recovery (minor concussion and bruises on his side where the bumper hit him). The driver was immediately arrested (because it is always the driver's fault if a pedestrian is hit), but I was able to get him released later that night after I took care of the hospital bill and a small payment to the family. My point is that with a large vehicle, it doesn't take much speed to send a child flying quite a ways from the point of impact. When a large mass hits a small mass, the small mass will go flying.

I guess I must have a good amount of positive Karma stored up from somewhere. When we lived in Sta Rosa I was unusually on my own in the car as my wife usually is with me & went to Mercury drug. Now this was on a small retail area with its own service road. Well I pulled out of the parking space & started towards the service rd exit to the main road. Probably only doing 10 mph when a street kid ran from the right fast & in front of me without looking. My reactions are good & I stamped on the brakes in time to see him basically run into my SUV rather than me hit him & bounce off. I jumped straight out to see if he was ok. He got up & sat on the kerb. I couldn't communicate with him & looked around for help. There was, as expected a gathering crowd & security had arrived too. I called. can anyone help translate & a guy stepped forward saying he was a doctor. He checked the boy & said he saw what happened & it wasn't my fault. I gave security my address details & gave the boy a few Peso to get some sweets. Off he went & I heard nothing more about it. The security did their job, took my details & logged the incident along with the doctors. The crowd didn't call for my head or anything. Just as anywhere else they just stood & watched.

I hope this NEVER happens again but I hope if it does, the end result is the same but for sure, I do NOT want to push my luck.

• Like 3
Stranded Shipscook

Nothing new here and there is no proof that the driver violated any of those rules.

Many pedestrians in the Philippines have no awareness of traffic and the #1 rule in the Philippines is that the strongest and biggest has right of way.

This kind of collides with the way accidents involving pedestrians are handled, assuming a homicide?!? That plain stupid, sorry. There also seems to be a different way Bus or Trucking companies are treated in a court of law, 200,000 pesos/death is the going rate if one of their drivers should kill somebody on the road. I was even told that many companies advice their drivers not to leave injured people behind, only dead (often cheaper).

The public outcry also often focuses very fast on a lump to be paid to the relatives left behind and who is gone pay for the burial and mourning.

Ahem, lol, you said prior you have never heard of the Paragraph in Germany while you where there, and jokingly remarked that i probably suffer from Alzheimer. No problem, i liked that joke too.

So now, you say, nothing new here ( after i made all that effort to translate, huhuhu)

joke back, who got the alzheimer now ?

However, that's just tease among friend, the more important thing you said, and i agree fully, that Traffic is an adventure here and can cause huge problems. Third world, what can one do ?

Anyhow, if or when the British will be charged with whichever, is still open, and hopefully they have set him free after already. Unfortunately he had the bad luck to have this accident during the "season" where nobody "in charge" can order his release.

Just lets hope that he wasn't drunk, because then he will be charged with Homicide.

Interesting post about Korea. I lived there for several years and noted that the Korean children were taught to be aware of traffic and especially one simple technique.....raise their hand. Sounds like a good idea, right?

Well, in fact, it has the opposite effect of making things better. The child is taught, INCORRECTLY, that the traffic will stop if they see the child, so the hand must be raised to be sure you are seen. Unfortunately, what the kids actually HEAR is that if they raise their hand, cars will stop.

NOT TRUE. Drivers in Korea are as bad as drivers anywhere, and will blow right past the kid while his hand is in the air. If the kids is lucky. If not, whoops, sorry kid. Mee am ham nee daw

I get riled up when I see no less than the United Nations has some sort of "Year of the Traffic Accident" or some other lame crap. I was at first excited to think that some UN program may come here to teach some elementary road safety, especially to children. Nope. They want to go to places like Thailand and Vietnam and get people to wear helmets on motorcycles. Of course, these have to be bought, so there is corporate support (read that as money to be made).

Just simple common sense would go a long way here. Walking facing traffic, avoid walking in large clusters, look first, and look again. None of that is EVER taught here.

There was a particularly bad accident a few years back in Korea. Two school girls were killed by a mobile bridge on military maneuvers. Lots of blame to be share re: the accident with bad radio commo, no spotters used and on and on. The Korean public was outraged and it went on for many months. One detail that gets left out of any discussion was that the girls had walked this way before and routinely plugged their ears while the equipment passed them by.

Google being the wonderful tool that it is, you can always look to see if any more has been reported - as with this extract from SunStar

At 5:40 p.m., in Barangay Poblacion in Medellin town, Cherry Noynay was killed after she was hit by a car driven by Richard Horton, 60, a British national.

Noynay suffered injuries in different parts of her body, said PO1 Rosano Queddeng in a phone interview.

Noynay was walking with her daughter Cendy, who was carrying Vanessa, the victim’s six-month-old child.

Horton, who admitted he had drunk liquor, lost control of his car and hit Noynay. Queddeng said Cendy was possibly in panic that she accidentally threw off her sister, who was still under observation.

Not much chance of a happy ending I fear.

HAPPY ending ?????? One person was killed and Vanessa under observation

HOW ON EARTH COULD THERE BE ANY FORM OF HAPPY ENDING

• Like 1

Ah, so the man was drunk and driving. Hang him up, just like the paedos.

Davaoeno
Ah, so the man was drunk and driving. Hang him up, just like the paedos.

Well that will certainly make sure that he never hurts anyone by accident again . First we hang the paedophiles, then the drunk drivers, then the people who cheat on their taxes , then the may walkers.

One thing about the death penalty - it sure prevents reoccurence by that person..

Edited by davaolife
  • Like 1
David_LivinginTalisay

I think I need one. What can you recommend?

I read on MCP Forum that Malayan was the Best Comprehensive Cover for BIG Motorcycles. They had a good track record of settling claims honerably and quickly. So I decided to check this Insurance Company, that is part of the RCBC Group. owned by the Yuchenkos.

I went with Malayan Insurance for Fully Comprehensive Insurance of my Yamaha XT225 'Serrow' (normally this particular Policy is fo Foreigh Imported Motorcycles >400cc, but after showing I passed the UK 'Advanced Motorists' test for Motorcycles and have 40 years Experience on Motorcycles, from Honda C70 to 750cc Norton Commando and Triumph Trident T160).

We also have our House and Contents covered by Malayan Insurance that includes Family Hospitalization, and my Hyundai Matrix 1.5 CRDi VGT

One gets No Claim Discount and additional Discount for taking out other Insurance Cover with Malayan Insurance.

NB: I am just REPORTING as satisfied USER of Malayan Insurance.

I don't mind if you dont want to follow the same insurance Cover as I did. I have never had to make a claim, so unable to report 1st hand, if that reputation is deserved? In fact I am glad to bever REPORT having any real experience of Claims Reporting / Handling / Payment.

Like all GOOD Insurance you are paying for NOT using it, but is THERE, in case you HAVE TO!

do the police give you breathaliser test here if they suspect you have been drinking ?

Ive just googled richard horton phillipines and a boat 29 ft crusier comes up for sale with his name for sale 1750000 so if its the same guy looks likes he,s got enough money to buy himself out of jail.