Anything Better Than Skycable?

RandyOdom

Haven't been impressed with skycable since I've been here and we're moving. Any suggestions on something better?

We have Bayantel and when its on its good but when it goes down customer service hides. I have heard good things about PLDT but they are the most expensive.

MarinePride

I have SkyCable and it sucks at sometimes because of no signal, usually after a thunder storm, but at times there is no reason. I havn't switched yet, but there are other cable and satellite companies here. Cignal offers satellite cable, Destiny is another cable service. Those are the two I could get in my area. I really want to switch, but I'm still on the fence about it. I've found that everything is problematic here to some degree and I'm hesitant at the moment because of it.

I have SkyCable and it sucks at sometimes because of no signal, usually after a thunder storm, but at times there is no reason. I havn't switched yet, but there are other cable and satellite companies here. Cignal offers satellite cable, Destiny is another cable service. Those are the two I could get in my area. I really want to switch, but I'm still on the fence about it. I've found that everything is problematic here to some degree and I'm hesitant at the moment because of it.

......and what do you think happens to a Satellite signal during a thunderstorm..???

MarinePride

......and what do you think happens to a Satellite signal during a thunderstorm..???

The only loss of signal I've ever had from a satellite, back in the USA, was from really heavy rain. As soon as the rain lets up, the signal comes back. SkyCable takes way too long to come back.

Actually thunder has nothing to do with it, just to be informative, but this question has to do with Skycable anyway. The 36" dishes used for Cygnal and Dream etc.. are much more susceptible to rain fade than the larger dishes used to feed Skycable. I have Skycable and have had zero rain fade issues in the three years I have used it, even though we have had some hum dingers! When I had Dream, it went out almost every time it rained hard. The rain fade issue can also be caused at the up-link site versus the individual end user sites. Just fyi

If your Skycable is going out during rain periods, it is most likely caused by a bad NEMA box or other vulnerable link in the delivery system. This could include poorly run cable conntections which sit in pooled water after significant rain. This would explain the extended recovery period as it takes time for the water to subside in any of those cases.

Edited by Bob Ward

be car full changing, nothing is as it seems, ...

sky cable has the most decent channels, and if u pay more u can upgrade...i had dream first but got bored with dream...so i got sky as well and had them simontainesly for a while till i knew sky was better and then i canceled dream...

same with internet, i had smart bro first, but i was not happy, so i also got globe, first globe was easily outperforming, but after a while it got shit...then costumer servisch at globe was shit...so after a couple months i canceled globe again..

its just a lottery, you never know whats coming at ya...

senseless

You need multiple internet connections here.

Use globe or bayantel if you want low latency high bandwidth access to singapore, or other asian countries.

Use PLDT if you want low latency high bandwidth access to USA, UK, etc.

PLDT's routing to asia is complete shit. They send 95% of their traffic to the USA first. I suspect they do a lot of this intentionally to screw with competition, make their websites load slower, etc. IMO if I was providing transit for PLDT, i'd drop them very quick due to their horrid routing tables. In order to connect to my servers in singapore I must first route from philippines to los angeles then los angeles to taiwan then taiwan to singapore. My latency to singapore is roughly 350-400milliseconds. It's retarded. My latency should be about 60 milliseconds to singapore.

On the flip side, Bayantel and Globe have very good asian routing. Unfortunately the carriers they're using have very poor transfer and latency rates to the US.

The best bet is to buy pldt and bayantel then setup a home linux router with BGP installed to store the entire routing table of the internet so it can determine if it should use bayantel or PLDT for a connection. It's the only way to get decent internet here.

Oh ya, and even with 2 DSL providers, you should still have a 3G link for backup. Unfortunately smart bro sucks ass and doesn't work 60% of the time. The only option there is to buy another backup 3G link.

I think if you have 4 internet connections you will be able to have internet about 99.999% of the time. I would recommend Bayantel 1mbit, PLDT 2mbit, smart bro, and globe dongle thingy.

• Like 1

You need multiple internet connections here.

Use globe or bayantel if you want low latency high bandwidth access to singapore, or other asian countries.

Use PLDT if you want low latency high bandwidth access to USA, UK, etc.

PLDT's routing to asia is complete shit. They send 95% of their traffic to the USA first. I suspect they do a lot of this intentionally to screw with competition, make their websites load slower, etc. IMO if I was providing transit for PLDT, i'd drop them very quick due to their horrid routing tables. In order to connect to my servers in singapore I must first route from philippines to los angeles then los angeles to taiwan then taiwan to singapore. My latency to singapore is roughly 350-400milliseconds. It's retarded. My latency should be about 60 milliseconds to singapore.

On the flip side, Bayantel and Globe have very good asian routing. Unfortunately the carriers they're using have very poor transfer and latency rates to the US.

The best bet is to buy pldt and bayantel then setup a home linux router with BGP installed to store the entire routing table of the internet so it can determine if it should use bayantel or PLDT for a connection. It's the only way to get decent internet here.

Oh ya, and even with 2 DSL providers, you should still have a 3G link for backup. Unfortunately smart bro sucks ass and doesn't work 60% of the time. The only option there is to buy another backup 3G link.

I think if you have 4 internet connections you will be able to have internet about 99.999% of the time. I would recommend Bayantel 1mbit, PLDT 2mbit, smart bro, and globe dongle thingy.

Damn good report! But what does it have to do with Solar Sports? LOLOLOL Why is latency to Australia so bad no matter who you use? PM me please!