Passport for my wife to visit Australia

shadow

Ok, maybe not, but she needs the CFO to get a passport in her married name which she needs to get the visa ergo...

Sure, if she were single she could go to Australia on a tourist visa without the CFO but then she wouldn't be able to get a tourist visa and would have no need to go there anyway.

We routinely acquire passports for our visa clients by referral to a travel agent who gets the passport for fiances and spouses of foreign nationals WITHOUT first obtaining the CFO certificate. In Cebu Mitch at Travelways on F. Ramos street does this for us. In Dumaguete Maganda travel does this. Also, the DFA outreach programs do not ask for CFO certificate. I'm quite certain there is probably someone in Davao that does this as well, as there are numerous agents scattered across the Visayas that do.

I also know several Australians who got tourist visas for their wife/GF.

Larry in Dumaguete

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Traviz

• hookedtothenet

• shadow

• men-ste

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We routinely acquire passports for our visa clients by referral to a travel agent who gets the passport for fiances and spouses of foreign nationals WITHOUT first obtaining the CFO certificate. In Ceb

I honestly don't know the law surrounding this issue nor do I know any agents who will do it maybe "under the table". My wife applied in November for a new passport to reflect her married name with t

It might be easier to do that when you're at the Oz embassy in Manila applying for a tourist visa.         No matter what anyone says repeatedly about not needing the sticker, the reality is tha

Traviz, Standing in front of BI across from Victoria Mall, facing BI, 30 meters to the left is a Travel Agent/Copy shop that did my wifes passport processing. They will advise you of everything you will need.

I went there and spoke to them but they said that because my wife is married to me, a foreigner, the DFA require the CFO couse to be taken and that we will have to go to either Cebu or Manila to do it. :)

We routinely acquire passports for our visa clients by referral to a travel agent who gets the passport for fiances and spouses of foreign nationals WITHOUT first obtaining the CFO certificate. In Cebu Mitch at Travelways on F. Ramos street does this for us. In Dumaguete Maganda travel does this. Also, the DFA outreach programs do not ask for CFO certificate. I'm quite certain there is probably someone in Davao that does this as well, as there are numerous agents scattered across the Visayas that do.

I also know several Australians who got tourist visas for their wife/GF.

Larry in Dumaguete

If only I knew of an agent in Davao that could do this it; would save us an expensive trip to Cebu. Bad time to go there at the moment with the Festival coming up.

hookedtothenet
Once again, you do not need to have CFO seminar to leave on a tourist visa.

Shadow, I think it is a case of ask the question and get a different reply from a different official scenario, as my wife done the course at Prism in manila and was told the same thing by the staff there and the CFO, the rule is that you need to do the seminar and get the sticker if you want to leave the RP and got to a western country, even as a tourist! I questioned my wife on this as I didn't think it was true but she said that that was what she was told.

So, maybe the OP might get lucky, can process the passport and get name change without doing the course or CFO, but it might be a risk depending on who's at the Immigration desk and if they have had a cup of coffee or not! LOL!

Nothing ever seems set in stone and is a hard and fast rule out here is it.

shadow

Shadow, I think it is a case of ask the question and get a different reply from a different official scenario, as my wife done the course at Prism in manila and was told the same thing by the staff there and the CFO, the rule is that you need to do the seminar and get the sticker if you want to leave the RP and got to a western country, even as a tourist! I questioned my wife on this as I didn't think it was true but she said that that was what she was told.

So, maybe the OP might get lucky, can process the passport and get name change without doing the course or CFO, but it might be a risk depending on who's at the Immigration desk and if they have had a cup of coffee or not! LOL!

Nothing ever seems set in stone and is a hard and fast rule out here is it.

It is true that it depends on who you ask what answer you may get.

For instance, if you ask the entity that makes money on a given service (PRISM in this case) chances are they will tell you it is needed regardless of what the answer is. However, if you ask the entity that makes the rules (CFO in this case) you may get the correct answer rather than what someone would like you to believe. Often you will get two conflicting answers from two people at the same desk, or even conflicting answers from the same person on different days! Here is what the CFO (the regulating agency) has to say (the LAW);

As a Filipino emigrant, or those who have been granted an immigrant-class visa, you are required by the Philippine Government by virtue of Article 19 of Presidential Decree No. 442, , to register with the Commission on Filipinos Overseas before leaving the country to settle in a foreign land. An emigrant who has properly registered with the commission will have in his passport the CFO sticker which will be inspected by the Bureau of Immigration upon departure.

Registration to the CFO requires the emigrant to present originals and photocopies of relevant documents, fill out a registration form for Emigrants (click here) or for Immigrant Workers (click here), attend the Pre-departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) or the Peer Counseling Seminar, and pay the authorized registration fee. The PDOS is a brief, two-hour seminar on settlement issues and concerns such as finding employment, rights and obligations of immigrants as well as policies and procedures on how to secure foreign citizenship. The Peer Counseling Seminar is a special session for those with ages 13 to 19 years, which aims to prepare them emotionally for the adjustments they will have to take.

Source;

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1347:for-filipinos-leaving-the-country-with-an-immigrant-visa&catid=139

Please go to the website, and notice that there is no mention of the need of a CFO seminar for tourist visas. In fact, if you look on the left side of the page you will see classes for "emigrant", "fiance/spouse", and "exchange visitor program". There is NO category for "tourist"!

I know of several dozen couples who have gone to Thailand, HK, US, UK, etc. without every having completed the CFO seminar.

Larry in Dumaguete

ancienrocka

I honestly don't know the law surrounding this issue nor do I know any agents who will do it maybe "under the table". My wife applied in November for a new passport to reflect her married name with the intention of travelling to Austalia as a tourist. She was told by both the DFA and the CFO that she would need to attend the seminar and get the sticker.

After doing the seminar she asked why she needed to do this having traveled to several Asian countries with me before without any need for this. They told her that the seminar is required by all those who wish to visit a foreign country for which a visa is needed ie UK, Australia, USA, etc but not to visit Hong Kong or certain other Asian countries. The CFO site states below:_

"As Filipinos going abroad as fiancé(e)s, spouses or other partners of foreign nationals, you are required to attend the CFO's guidance and counseling session in order to secure the Guidance and Counseling Certificate (GCC) and the CFO sticker. You need this certificate to renew or apply for a new passport at the Department of Foreign Affairs (per Department of Foreign Affairs Order Nos. 11-97 Implementing Rules and Regulations for Republic Act 8239, "Philippine Passport Act" and 28-94). You will also need to present this certificate together with your spouse/partner visa, at the Immigration office at the international airport on your day of departure."

As I said before it is really hard to get a "legal" answer but this seems to be the way the DFA and the CFO are implementing the law - there is often a gap here between the "law" and what actually happens.

It took my wife a day and 250p to do the seminar and another 400p for the sticker. The only nun there was strict but fair and all the other employees were very professional.

• Like 1

All Filipino Nationals who are married to a Foreign Nationals are required to attend the CFO's guidance and counseling session seminar in order to obtain Philippine Passport under their married name ( whether for the purpose of travel or not). I asked several people in the DFA and CFO regarding this matter and this is what I been told.

Elsa

www.cebuexpatservices.com

Edited by Elsa
Headshot

All Filipino Nationals who are married to a Foreign Nationals are required to attend the CFO's guidance and counseling session seminar in order to obtain Philippine Passport under their married name ( whether for the purpose of travel or not). I asked several people in the DFA and CFO regarding this matter and this is what I been told.

Elsa

www.cebuexpatservices.com

That is correct. When my wife got her passport after we were married, she had to attend the CFO seminar...even though, at the time, we were only trying to get her a tourist visa. It was either attend the seminar or not get her passport. Anymore, if a woman is married to a foreigner, the CFO seminar is a requirement for a passport. Period.

Edited by Headshot
hookedtothenet
Source; http://www.cfo.gov.p...-visa&catid=139 Please go to the website, and notice that there is no mention of the need of a CFO seminar for tourist visas. In fact, if you look on the left side of the page you will see classes for "emigrant", "fiance/spouse", and "exchange visitor program". There is NO category for "tourist"!

Larry, I am not disagreeing with you, what is stated on the website does indeed only mention about obtaining a CFO sticker and doing the course if you are obtaining a immigrant visa and there's no mention of a tourist needing to obtain, I agree, but there is also no mention of the need to undergo the Counselling course and to go to the CFO and obtain a stamp if your wife wants to change her family name in her passport, but it is definitely a DFA requirement.

As for the people that are making the money, well PRISM charged p250 for a two+ hour course and CFO charged P400 for a stamp, so who's making the money!

As I stated before , you can't take anything for granted out here and that was my point :(

Thanks for all the informative responses.

Looks like I'd better book a trip to Cebu and try and find somewhere near the CFO to stay for a day or two.

My wife didn't need the sticker/seminar when applying for her passport, only when we went to Canada.

Traviz,

Its basically an all day affair (CFO Seminar) in Cebu. Your wife will need to bring certain documents of hers and a few of yours. She can obtain and fill application form their. You should call about dates available and make an appointment prior to going to Cebu just to be safe. If you need the phone number, Pm me, I think my wife still has it.

hey Travis. Im from oz and have a 4yr old son. we are in bohol now.

my mrs got her passport in our married name and had to do the seminar first. they said the stamp would come after she got her visa approved.

they asked for her birth cert and some other crap. Make sure all your paperwork is in order! its really important- or you may have to make another trip there.

my passports a NZ passport so they asked for documentation of a visa stamp in my passport. there is no visa requirements for kiwis (Ive been in oz since 1980 anyway) so after much trying to explain this they just let it go and gave her the passport.

for some reason (maybe to show i was an Oz resident), they asked for a copy of my Oz bank account statement. I had to send all this by email (or it may have been fax) as i was in oz at the time.

anyway mate i head back soon and my wifes getting my son his pinoy passport, and hopefully a visitors visa while im away.

I did want to take her back as a permanent, but the extra $2k is expensive and we can do that at a later date anyway. I hope to take her back for 3 months.

so mate how you going with it? are you able to take your baby back as well and what did you have to do?

cheers....

Thanks Guys.. I'll update this asap.

Will probably be another week or two before we travel to Cebu to do the CFO as my wife is still getting all the required documentation together.

After that is settled we'll look into a passport for the baby here in Davao.

I'm expecting that to be a little simpler.. but you never know here. :biggrin_01:

hookedtothenet
for some reason (maybe to show i was an Oz resident), they asked for a copy of my Oz bank account statement.

That's crazy isn't it as it doesn't prove anything, especially not that you are a Oz Resident, I have opened bank accounts in several countries before leaving them and not closing the accounts.

Just means that you once lived their for a while, proves nothing!

Amazing what some of these government agencies like to ask for...

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest you just go to the nuns and have your wife do the seminar, this is what they require so its best to do it, it aint ALL THAT BAD.

There wont be an "interogation" they will just educate her about Australia give her info etc etc etc

it will save you possible headaches when you do decide to leave the PH.

I went with my wife and waited for her 8am-3pm then we hurried of to the CFO office to recieve the sticker etc

Remeber you cant really afford/gamble to take short cutswhen it comes to departure.

Good Luck.