Passport for my wife to visit Australia

Hi Guys.

I am an Australian living in Davao.

I want to take my Filipina wife whom I married here (and hopefully our new baby) on a 3 week holiday with me to Australia around March April to meet my family. We will then return to live in the new home we have built in the Davao area and live here in the Philippines.

We have applied at the DFA for her to get a passport, but have been told we have to travel to CEBU for her to get the CFO sticker before they will give her the passport! For me, this is an expensive and ridiculous requirement for a simple 3 week holiday.

I have read on some threads here that some travel agencies will obtain the passport without the CFO sticker being required, but am wondering if anyone knows of such an agency in DAVAO, as I don't want the expensive hassle of traveling to have my wife interrogated by the nuns in CEBU to get it?

Any tips/experiences appreciated. :scratch_head:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Traviz

• hookedtothenet

• shadow

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We routinely acquire passports for our visa clients by referral to a travel agent who gets the passport for fiances and spouses of foreign nationals WITHOUT first obtaining the CFO certificate. In Ceb

I honestly don't know the law surrounding this issue nor do I know any agents who will do it maybe "under the table". My wife applied in November for a new passport to reflect her married name with t

It might be easier to do that when you're at the Oz embassy in Manila applying for a tourist visa.         No matter what anyone says repeatedly about not needing the sticker, the reality is tha

hookedtothenet
I have read on some threads here that some travel agencies will obtain the passport without the CFO sticker being required, but am wondering if anyone knows of such an agency in DAVAO, as I don't want the expensive hassle of traveling to have my wife interrogated by the nuns in CEBU to get it?

Traviz,

You might be able to get the Passport done through a travel agency, but then you will need to get her the Oz Visa.

You might find that you have a problem leaving RP if you haven't got the CFO stamp in her passport .Some things are not worth taking risk on, especially if you have already booked expensive flights back to Oz and then you loose your money because you didn't have the stamp and she was blocked from leaving.

If you are going to be travelling with your new baby, you will also need to sort out a passport and it will be better if your wife has hers done already in her new married name with CFO sticker.

Just a few thought's.

shadow

Traviz,

You might be able to get the Passport done through a travel agency, but then you will need to get her the Oz Visa.

You might find that you have a problem leaving RP if you haven't got the CFO stamp in her passport .Some things are not worth taking risk on, especially if you have already booked expensive flights back to Oz and then you loose your money because you didn't have the stamp and she was blocked from leaving.

If you are going to be travelling with your new baby, you will also need to sort out a passport and it will be better if your wife has hers done already in her new married name with CFO sticker.

Just a few thought's.

CFO sticker is not required of those leaving on tourist visas, only those leaving on immigrant visas need the CFO sticker. If he can find a travel agent in Davao that can obtain the passport without attending the CFO, he should have no problems.

Larry in Dumaguete

You dont need a CFO sticker for a tourist Visa, only for Spousal and Fiance Visa's and to get that sticker she has to attend a one day brainwashing seminar in Cebu prior to applying for the sticker at the DFA. If you get all the application documents in order it should take no more than a week to process a tourist Visa. When you get to Oz apply for an Aust passport for your new kid.

This will be the easy part I think, the hard part will be on the Australian side of things.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll go to Davao today and talk to a few travel agents and see what info I can get from them.

SkyMan

My wife has a tourist visa and was required to do the CFO to get the passport in her married name.

Edited by SkyMan

CFO sticker is not required of those leaving on tourist visas, only those leaving on immigrant visas need the CFO sticker. If he can find a travel agent in Davao that can obtain the passport without attending the CFO, he should have no problems.

Larry in Dumaguete

The DFO in Davao requires a CFO sticker regardless. My wife has travelled abroad several times under her maiden name and has never needed a CFO sticker - her passport was issued in Cebu. However she wants to change the name in her passport to her married name and she's been told that she must attend a CFO seminar first and get that all-important sticker.

The nuns who do the CFO seminar in Cebu can be "difficult" - to put it mildly - so I'd suggest flying up to Manila where it's a simple two-hour procedure, which is actually the advice the DFO gave my wife.

When you get to Oz apply for an Aust passport for your new kid.

The baby will need a passport to travel to Oz. An Australian passport can be arranged in Cebu too, and can be picked up in Manila or sent to your residence.

shadow

The DFO in Davao requires a CFO sticker regardless. My wife has travelled abroad several times under her maiden name and has never needed a CFO sticker - her passport was issued in Cebu. However she wants to change the name in her passport to her married name and she's been told that she must attend a CFO seminar first and get that all-important sticker.

The nuns who do the CFO seminar in Cebu can be "difficult" - to put it mildly - so I'd suggest flying up to Manila where it's a simple two-hour procedure, which is actually the advice the DFO gave my wife.

Perhaps you missed the point. The Cebu DFA also requires the CFO certificate of attendance. However, there are numerous travel agents that can process the passport, OR amend the passport to married name, without the CFO certificate. The same is likely true in Davao.

Larry in Dumaguete

SkyMan

Perhaps you missed the point. The Cebu DFA also requires the CFO certificate of attendance. However, there are numerous travel agents that can process the passport, OR amend the passport to married name, without the CFO certificate. The same is likely true in Davao.

Larry in Dumaguete

And then if you are at the airport and they want to see proof of the CFO seminar it could get very expensive.
shadow

And then if you are at the airport and they want to see proof of the CFO seminar it could get very expensive.

Once again, you do not need to have CFO seminar to leave on a tourist visa.

LinD

Traviz,

Standing in front of BI across from Victoria Mall, facing BI, 30 meters to the left is a Travel Agent/Copy shop that did my wifes passport processing. They will advise you of everything you will need.

Keep in mind there is a difference between the CFO seminar certificate of attendance and the CFO sticker! She was told that any filipina married to a foreigner must attend the seminar and produce the certificate of attendance if she wants a passport in her married name. The sticker is issued after a visa is obtained and prior to them living the country on an immigrant visa.

I have heard that this may not be the case if applying in Manila, I do not know that for a fact. Here and Cebu both required the certificate of attendance to process her passport in her married name. Good Luck.

LastManStanding

We have never been asked for a CFO sticker ever when leaving from Cebu or travelling to other Asia countries. However when we went to Canada where my wife had a perm residence visa issued, we went through manila and they checked for the CFO stuff in the passport.

SkyMan

Once again, you do not need to have CFO seminar to leave on a tourist visa.

LinD

Ok, maybe not, but she needs the CFO to get a passport in her married name which she needs to get the visa ergo...

Sure, if she were single she could go to Australia on a tourist visa without the CFO but then she wouldn't be able to get a tourist visa and would have no need to go there anyway.

Edited by SkyMan