iPad help…

miles-high

I may need to buy an iPad for my work… I have absolutely no knowledge of Apple products/OS/software, etc. If anyone using it, I would appreciate any “real-life” user review/comments…

Does it have foreign language kits available?

Is it compatible with Microsoft Office suite, in particular, Word, Excel and PowerPoint?

Any Microsoft accessories, e.g., mouse, keypad, etc. compatible?

The specs say 3G, does it mean we can call/receive as if it is a regular CP?

Is Skype built-in or add-on?

A realistic battery life? (why Apple specs indicated in 25-watt-hour, rather than mAh?)

Thank you!

3G data, and I would (did actually) get a good android tablet like the Motorola XOOM.

• Like 1

I can answer some of the questions. Even though an iPad may take a sim card, it won't act as a regular cell phone. You can't make regular calls on your carriers network. 3G is for data only. That being said you can make calls via VOIP apps, such as Skype, which is not built in, but is a free download from the app store.

USMC-Retired

You have to use Quick Office for your Office needs on the IPAD. http://www.quickoffice.com/

Non-Apple devices can work. However it is not plug and play. Mouse Keyboard and such. Probably not worth the time to try.

Skype is free and is available via the App Store from Itunes.

Battery life is 5-7 hours with constant use.

Edited by Norseman
miles-high
it won't act as a regular cell phone

Any apps/mod available to make it work as a regular cell phone?

USMC-Retired

I am not aware of any. The NTC here is so darn locked down. If you were in the US or other country you could use a SIP client to make it work and act like a phone.

miles-high
My wife has one & it will go 2 1/2 - 3 hrs on a charge.

FAA started authorizing iPad as an EFB... so I am reviewing its feasibility... I can keep the existing Windows7 Tablet-based JeppView... only Fujitsu Tablet can get an EFB authorization but the battery life is terrible... about 1 hour... so often i have an AC cable connected all the way from the passenger cabin but, well, it does not look nice... ;)

http://www.jeppesen....esen-mobile-tc/

• Like 1

My wife has one & it will go 2 1/2 - 3 hrs on a charge.

I can't say how long the XOOM lasts - longer than I can, for sure. Maybe 2 days of normal use.

Unfortunately I believe the FAA Approved iPad is almost double the price. No actual differences, except it's been tested for various RF signals etc.

Almost everyone at my flying club in the UK use iPads now, including me. VFR Charts, IFR Plates, Metars, Notams and flight plan filing all in one place. Perfect for GA, and i'm sure equally good for Airline ops.

Edited by Ricky

I've never had less than 7 hours on my ipad on any charge, that's usually watching videos on flights. at home I believe I get longer if I'm just surfing.

Mang Kanor

I may need to buy an iPad for my work… I have absolutely no knowledge of Apple products/OS/software, etc. If anyone using it, I would appreciate any “real-life” user review/comments…

Does it have foreign language kits available? as what i know chinese is supported but english for the most.

Is it compatible with Microsoft Office suite, in particular, Word, Excel and PowerPoint? there's an app you can buy on the appstore for office suite

Any Microsoft accessories, e.g., mouse, keypad, etc. compatible? a lot of compatible bluetooth keyboard accessories you can find in every electronic/gadget store, some are built in on the leather case. never seen a mouse tho

The specs say 3G, does it mean we can call/receive as if it is a regular CP? only data, no phone function for the ipad, same as the ipod touch

Is Skype built-in or add-on? you can download skype and other messenger from the appstore for free

A realistic battery life? (why Apple specs indicated in 25-watt-hour, rather than mAh?) mine last for a couple of days since i dont use it much, i am more on my iphone and my blackberry playbook tablet

Thank you!

• Like 1

I plan to buy an iPad in the next several months or so. I know there are some extremely good descriptions of the operating capabilities on various Apple websites. There are also user forums exclusive to Apple where you can get some ideas of what problems may crop up and how they get handled. There are some super website devoted to Apple Products including podcasts such as MacMost.

Be aware that it does not have a large capacity for data storage. This is by design, as Apple wants users to use their cloud. I have a MacBook Pro so I can use it to store larger files and such.

I am saving myself a few pesos by getting the model that is NOT 3G. Where I expect to use the iPad I will have very poor service. In my home I can use the wifi features and still do a lot.

Not sure what you refer to as language kits, but Apple seems to be very sensitive to the international needs of their customers and I would bet that your needs will be met. Again, their website may offer this info. I do know that the Mac systems use a wide range of European languages.

I just checked and an external mouse is not useable with iPad. Makes sense, as the OS for the iPad has no pointer. Apple sells a wireless keyboard for around 3500 pesos.

• 2 weeks later...
angelescitypi

My IPAD runs approximately ten hours on a typical charge.