Sign in to follow this  
Fish Sandwich

Hidemynet and Smart Bro

Fish Sandwich

Is anyone having problems using hidemynet using Smart Bro lately? I don't believe the issue is with hidemynet. If I were being paranoid, I'd say Smart is targeting HMN now. I used to use the l2tp vpn and that got really slow and will barely login now. If it does login, it's super slow. Then I started using the http (squid) proxy and that is unusable now. My browser will not finish loading a page when I use the http proxy.

The http proxy started giving me issues about a week ago. I've tried 3 different modems, 3 different browsers & 2 different computers. I went and bought a second Smart Bro sim and a Sun sim. The issue happens with both Smart sims. Sun works, but slow.

I have a Smart tower outside my window so I would like to continue to use them, if possible.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I appreciate the help.

turbo black

hi fishsandwich,

i to use smart bro the 3g plug and play. with in the past six months i have gone from 80 kbs down to 15 kbs

i live only one minute from the tower and i went 2 times to the smart office to male a complaint.there answer was

"sorry sir we have too many customers" "maybe you should move to cebu city"

at this point i do not know what action we can take against them for there poor service.

Paul

Don't you just love the replies they offer, as solutions to problems they should be addressing?

Fish Sandwich

The 15kpbs definitely sounds familiar. However, I only have that issue with certain protocols/sites. For instance, I know Smart is throttling torrents down to around 15kbps, if it works at all. I would guess they are doing something screwy with youtube too. I'm in Cebu City less than 50 meters from a Smart tower. So, I'm usually pulling speeds greater than 3mbps down and 1mbps up, but can't use it for anything I typically do. I didn't care much until they started messing with hidemynet, assuming that's the case.

Captainmike

Is anyone having problems using hidemynet using Smart Bro lately? I don't believe the issue is with hidemynet. If I were being paranoid, I'd say Smart is targeting HMN now. I used to use the l2tp vpn and that got really slow and will barely login now. If it does login, it's super slow. Then I started using the http (squid) proxy and that is unusable now. My browser will not finish loading a page when I use the http proxy.

The http proxy started giving me issues about a week ago. I've tried 3 different modems, 3 different browsers & 2 different computers. I went and bought a second Smart Bro sim and a Sun sim. The issue happens with both Smart sims. Sun works, but slow.

I have a Smart tower outside my window so I would like to continue to use them, if possible.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I appreciate the help.

I tried to use the Smart Bro Power Plug with my NB in September. I wanted to have mobile access in Digos City for a trip we were planning. The Smart Bro plug did not work right with windows 7 (I have an HP NB Intel i5 processor , 4mb ram, 650gb hd). When I switched to the SmarBro Plug my HMA VPN quit working. HMA tried to fix it by having me download another program that didn't use their interface but ...... no joy............ I then started to have problems on booting up my NB and other problems. I went to smart for service and they admitted that the SmartBro plug and it's software/interface did not support Windows 7. I quit using the SmartBro cleaned all their software off my NB and now my NB is working properly. I think that the Smart wireless service SUCKS, their customer service is terrible. I sent them emails for support and did not receive a response for over a week............ MY advice is to stay away from any SMART Internet product... I have been very happy with HMA (Hidemyass VPN). I have used this VPN service for the last 6 months mostly to use Pandora.

Captainmike

Fish Sandwich

That's interesting, you must have read my mind. My next question was going to be if any of the other vpn services (HMA, strongvpn, etc.) are working with Smart. I guess that's a big fat NO and I won't go down that road with them.

I had the same issue with their software as I am using windows 7 and the software is pretty much unresponsive once connected to their network, not to mention when it is working it's using bandwidth to display web pages in the little box. Now, I don't use the Smart bro software at all and just connect to their network similar to when you connect a Nokia phone to the internet (without the Nokia suite). Smart bro definitely has problems, but I've gotten through most the hurdles. But as soon as it starts working for a week or so, there will be another hurdle to get around. It's irritating as hell.

MarinePride

A friend of someone in the family is trying to get us to change over to SmartBro. The guy said something about how fast it is and came out to the house to do a signal test. Out of five lights, we only got two to light up, so the signal is weak. We did a speed test at www.speakeasy.net and came up with .78 Mbs/sec, which is slower than the 1.17 I'm getting with PLDT. The guy then said something about an external antenna and I said the only way I would sign up is if I get five lights and close to 2 Mbs/sec. I havn't heard from him yet. He said something about my house being a dead zone.

I don't like the twenty four month commitment on the contract, which is a long time for sub standard internet service.

Fish Sandwich

I don't like the twenty four month commitment on the contract, which is a long time for sub standard internet service.

This is exactly why I'm stuck in pre-paid land right now. All the ISPs here are substandard as far as I'm concerned. I had pldt before which I had all kinds of connection problems with. However, I got one tech who ran a line from the pole, down the back wall, and in through our window for the best month and a half of internet service ever. But, when I switched apartments, they wanted one month phone, plus three months internet to cancel or downgrade (which we were told a fraction of that when we signed up) and then another fee to transfer. It was going to be P10K+(probably more like 15k now), so I just walked out of their office with my equipment return receipt in hand (which she tried to grab back from me). I would have transferred the line except I was paying P2550 for 2mbps (split with my friend) that the majority of the time was giving me problems. I kinda wish I had pldt now, but it's a rip-off. It might be worth it if you didn't have to pay for the landline. Anyway, as you stated, I don't want to find myself in another one of those commitments for substandard service.

billten

Just an FYI, buy your own modem and its only a 12 month commit...

cdpino

I have had, and continue to have, many problems with 64 bit W7. I have their "Extreme" version (was the only way to do an upgrade from the Vista I had without rebuilding the entire application suite) which has a virtual 32 bit XP environment which I intend to start experimenting with to solve my W7 problems.

USMC-Retired

I have smartbro canopy and it is working good. I use PPTP for my VPN and again it seems to be working good.

.63Mb

That is on a 1Mb connection. If you look at my IP I sent this I am using HMN

Edited by Norseman

Fish Sandwich

Norseman, I'm glad you responded to my actual issue. I didn't think you would as I thought you are using Globe Wimax. So, canopy is postpaid?

I'm currently getting error 619 when I connect to pptp and error 789 when connecting to l2tp. I saw HMN has a mtu fix for error 619, but for xp. I just reset my winsock in the last couple days and can't remember if that's the error I was getting for l2tp before I did that. Most the time, it just connects super slow but sometimes I would get an error. I'll have to mess with it later tonight.

If you have a moment, can you try the http proxy in one of your browser's proxy connection settings. The lax ip is 173.234.50.130 on port 443. It should redirect you to an ip authentication page that populates your ip address into the url. If you can get that login page to fully load while connected to Smart Bro, you're doing better than me. For me, the page only loads partially and never populates my ip into the url and then times out. I've tried at least two other of their IPs too and get the same behavior. Much appreciated.

USMC-Retired

It loads for me. I would start a service ticket they will help you very fast.

David Spicer

I have SmartBro, antenna on the roof flavor, and am currently getting about half the speed of what I was getting a couple of months ago. 1.5 M/bps has become about .75 M/bps.