Looking to start a business in Toledo

hi folks

newbie here im Irish looking to start a small 711 business in toledo in feb 2012 any help advice will be apprecited on rent etc capital required i have fallen in love with a wonderful woman and intend to start a new life there

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• waterfall

• udonthani

• Stranded Shipscook

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Waterfall...my advice to you is...slow down. If you have income that will allow you to not work (or own a business) when you move here, do so for a while. Don't invest a lot of money in a start-up bus

@ Headshot: how many cases do you know of, or how often have you heard the guy responding something to the effect of "Yes, I know.....but in my case it is different....My girl is not like that, and sh

Well...they are now. It was originally started in the US and later bought out by the Japanese. Picky, picky, picky...

Panserhansen

Hi Waterfall. Toledo is changing rapidly and I think a convenience store with some snacks might be a good idea. Around the city centre the city really does not sleep. Rentals have increased though and don't be surprised if they ask for 30/40K up in the best locations.

I have a friend struggling to run an internet cafe a few hundred meters south of Toledo. The road to Aluguinsan is getting better and I think that will increase the traffic. You would be the first convenience store towards the city coming from south. In the city centre you'd compete with Mercury Drugs and Three Sixty pharmacy, who also function as convenience stores, but they don't sell any food/snacks.

Afraid I don't know the capital required to open a 711. Drop by Hilltop restaurant if you're here!

udonthani

I agree that on the face of things a convenience store would not be a bad idea to Toledo. Carcar is another place that could use a proper 24 hour convenience store. The pharmacies struggle to fill the breach. They're just never up to scratch and would not be serious competition once one opens. As towns develop, 24 hour convenience stores inevitably happen. I remember when there were none at all in Divisoria in Cagayan de Oro and it was a real struggle to get your hands on a cold beer or some ice in the early hours.. Now there's several all night stores, it's easy.

thanks i will look you up i intend to be there around the 27feb for 9 days

will spend 3 days in cebu the rest in toledo

envy you guys and the weather

cold wet here in Ireland

Headshot

whats a 711 store?

A 7-11 store is a convenience store. 7-11 is based in the US, but they are all ovr the world now. There are even 7-11s in Manila. It's like a walk-in sari-sari store with a soft drink machine, a coffee machine and a hot dog cooker...along with all the other junk food and bottled drinks.

• Like 1
Headshot

Waterfall...my advice to you is...slow down. If you have income that will allow you to not work (or own a business) when you move here, do so for a while. Don't invest a lot of money in a start-up business here as most start-ups fail. Don't invest in property until you are absolutely positive that the "wonderful woman" you have fallen in love with is who you will actually be spending the rest of your life with. Rent an apartment or house for at least a year and use the time to get to know each other better and get to know the islands. Many guys have fallen in love with Filipinas and invested large sums of money in businesses and real estate only to find out later that not everything was as they originally thought. Then, they lost everything when their relationship fell apart. I don't know you, and I don't know how long you have known each other, but you will never regret taking things slow...while you may very well regret moving too fast. Of course, you can do whatever you want, but jumping right in can get you burned badly here. There are no safety nets for expats here.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 7

tks for the advice

i have no intention of rushing things i hear what u say and appreciate this is my intention for 2 years to rent travel back and forth

thebob

A 7-11 store is a convenience store. 7-11 is based in the US, but they are all ovr the world now.

I hate to be picky but 7-11 is based in Tokyo. They are owned by 7i- Holdings, a Japanese company.

Waterfall...my advice to you is...slow down.

Many guys have fallen in love with Filipinas and invested large sums of money in businesses and real estate only to find out later that not everything was as they originally thought. Then, they lost everything when their relationship fell apart.

@ Headshot: how many cases do you know of, or how often have you heard the guy responding something to the effect of "Yes, I know.....but in my case it is different....My girl is not like that, and she comes from a good and honest family. Her father is xxx and her older brother yyy. Thanks for the advice, but I am fine. We will manage it together, even if we start off small...etc."?

Treat it as a rhetorical question or not :)

• Like 2
Headshot

I hate to be picky but 7-11 is based in Tokyo. They are owned by 7i- Holdings, a Japanese company.

Well...they are now. It was originally started in the US and later bought out by the Japanese. Picky, picky, picky... :)

• Like 2
Headshot

@ Headshot: how many cases do you know of, or how often have you heard the guy responding something to the effect of "Yes, I know.....but in my case it is different....My girl is not like that, and she comes from a good and honest family. Her father is xxx and her older brother yyy. Thanks for the advice, but I am fine. We will manage it together, even if we start off small...etc."?

Treat it as a rhetorical question or not :)

Yeah, but waterfall didn't respond like that. He will probably be OK.