Mindanao: We dare not travel there!

Stranded Shipscook

Perhaps a tee-shirt needs to be made for Expats living or visiting in South Mindanao, and in huge letters and several local dialects write.

******"Kidnappers BEWARE"******

Too poor to be worth kidnapping

NO MONEY - NO MONEY - NO MONEY

-You will only be practicing-

I've tried that before and had T-shirts similar ( i actually also sold them )

Prints like "I am not an American, and my name isn't Joe", "No Money, ask the guy behind me" and other ones i sold to tourists.

The effect was zero, either the people could not, did not, or didn't care. The ones which read it, were even more emphasized.

By the way, best T-shirt i ever had was :

Instant Asshole, just add alcohol.

I think i reproduce that now, at least its a true statement when i wear it. ( oh, i saw that in Vegas actually, yes, i plagiated it )

• Like 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stranded Shipscook

• Paul

• smokey

• newtocebu

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am referring to a post I just made in the Australian National Kidnapped thread.   After traveling there EXTENSIVELY and fairly OFTEN over the years, I still don't get this mess about how "unsafe"

Perhaps a tee-shirt needs to be made for Expats living or visiting in South Mindanao, and in huge letters and several local dialects write.   ******"Kidnappers BEWARE"****** Too poor to be worth ki

I do not want to change this into another thread about safety in Davao, but i would like to just say that Davao in the past was a somewhat lawless and dangerous place to be, and that corrective measu

Posted Images

Stranded Shipscook

here is a photo of my Friend Marit Stinus Cabugon,(former Marit Stinus Remode) who travelled a lot around in different areas in the Philippines writing about insurgencies.

That's a safe way to travel, i guess

post-8399-0-84809900-1323398930_thumb.jpg

Magindanao 2009

Edited by G....
Headshot

I don't know anybody who thinks that ALL of Mindanao is unsafe. I want to travel to Davao, Surigao, Butuan and CDO. Iligan City, Dipolog and General Santos City are frontier towns, and therefore questionable. Travelling to Cotabato, Pagadian, or Zamboanga (or any area near those towns) is, in my opinion, just too much risk. My views on living on Mindanao would be the same (although I have no intention of making that move). Kidnappers may carefully target somebody (which means that your risk goes up the longer you are there), or they may just strike a target of opportunity (which means it doesn't matter whether you are a long-term resident or just passing through).

One more thing...anybody who doesn't think the risks go up proportionately to the percentage of Muslims in an area is just fooling themselves. With Muslims, there is a tipping point when they think they can control things where it becomes exponentially more dangerous for Westerners. Once they reach the point where they have a major influence on local law enforcement, then you shouldn't expect any help from the authorities (not that you can expect that much help no matter where you are in the Philippines).

When choosing places to visit or live, one should honestly weigh the risks. If you are married with children, the consequences for making bad decisions go up dramatically. I wouldn't tell anybody that they CAN'T go someplace, but that doesn't mean I will follow them if they successfully visit a locale that is considered risky (due to its history). So...to those who have no problem visiting or living in areas of Mindanao that I consider risky...I say good luck. I wish you safe travels. See you when you get back...if you do.

• Like 2

Perhaps a tee-shirt needs to be made for Expats living or visiting in South Mindanao, and in huge letters and several local dialects write.

******"Kidnappers BEWARE"******

Too poor to be worth kidnapping

NO MONEY - NO MONEY - NO MONEY

-You will only be practicing-

or Beware-Pordoy kano

• Like 1
Stranded Shipscook

I don't know anybody who thinks that ALL of Mindanao is unsafe. I want to travel to Davao, Surigao, Butuan and CDO. Iligan City, Dipolog and General Santos City are frontier towns, and therefore questionable. Travelling to Cotabato, Pagadian, or Zamboanga (or any area near those towns) is, in my opinion, just too much risk. My views on living on Mindanao would be the same (although I have no intention of making that move). Kidnappers may carefully target somebody (which means that your risk goes up the longer you are there), or they may just strike a target of opportunity (which means it doesn't matter whether you are a long-term resident or just passing through).

One more thing...anybody who doesn't think the risks go up proportionately to the percentage of Muslims in an area is just fooling themselves. With Muslims, there is a tipping point when they think they can control things where it becomes exponentially more dangerous for Westerners. Once they reach the point where they have a major influence on local law enforcement, then you shouldn't expect any help from the authorities (not that you can expect that much help no matter where you are in the Philippines).

When choosing places to visit or live, one should honestly weigh the risks. If you are married with children, the consequences for making bad decisions go up dramatically. I wouldn't tell anybody that they CAN'T go someplace, but that doesn't mean I will follow them if they successfully visit a locale that is considered risky (due to its history). So...to those who have no problem visiting or living in areas of Mindanao that I consider risky...I say good luck. I wish you safe travels. See you when you get back...if you do.

As much as i like your advise in Paragraph one, i have to protest against the rest Anti Muslem statements, which is without any base or if, please state your sources.

Otherwise i just state that this is just your humble opinion. Which is fine then.

Edited by G....
USMC-Retired

I have been those areas and I have stayed there for an extended period of time. (30 days).

Would I recommend anyone living there. No I would not. You must be very vigilant in situational awareness.

The area though unsafe is safer then other war torn areas. The biggest problem is you are a turd in a punch bowl. They see you swimming ashore. That makes you an easy target. You can not travel after dark you must be inside. You can not travel alone. You must blend in as best you can with your pale skin and round eyes. You must vary your routes and not be predictable.

Terrorist that are followers are not as educated and do not realize you are just a broke expat. That you country will pay no ransom for your release. They see a huge dollar sign.

With all the other nice place you can visit do you really want to chance a visit to the southwest part of Mindanao? Davao CDO and other areas are just beautiful. Visiting those areas you must keep your wits about you yet are safer.

As for Paul never having a problem Lets see a terrorist can chose a 400 pound sack of potatoes or 135 pound sack. Hmm the 135 pound may be more appetizing.

Any place in the world you travel can be unsafe if you are not careful. If you do not do the basics and have situtational awareness.

• Like 1
throttleplate
I'm also sure I don't want to go to Oakland but that doesn't mean I want to leave California. Oakland is about 300 miles from where I live.

so south central is safe?

I have been those areas and I have stayed there for an extended period of time. (30 days).

Would I recommend anyone living there. No I would not. You must be very vigilant in situational awareness.

The area though unsafe is safer then other war torn areas. The biggest problem is you are a turd in a punch bowl. They see you swimming ashore. That makes you an easy target. You can not travel after dark you must be inside. You can not travel alone. You must blend in as best you can with your pale skin and round eyes. You must vary your routes and not be predictable.

Terrorist that are followers are not as educated and do not realize you are just a broke expat. That you country will pay no ransom for your release. They see a huge dollar sign.

With all the other nice place you can visit do you really want to chance a visit to the southwest part of Mindanao? Davao CDO and other areas are just beautiful. Visiting those areas you must keep your wits about you yet are safer.

As for Paul never having a problem Lets see a terrorist can chose a 400 pound sack of potatoes or 135 pound sack. Hmm the 135 pound may be more appetizing.

Any place in the world you travel can be unsafe if you are not careful. If you do not do the basics and have situtational awareness.

I do not think that size has much to do with kidnapping anyone, especially when guns or other weapons are involved in the process. However, I will be the first to say that I believe size and how you carry yourself, both, will have some affect on how others perceive you. A person who is more confident in the way they walk and carry themselves would, most likely, be less of a target than someone who is not confident and carries himself as though he is on death row.

Furthermore, I believe one will be less conspicuous if they dress down, don't wear flashy jewelry, etc., and do more to blend in rather than to be a loud, obnoxious asshole to the locals.

• Like 3
USMC-Retired
Theoratically it is more dangerous to live in New York, Los Angeles or Cebu City due to the chance of getting killed in a regular crime. Or a simple traffic accident.

That is untrue.

If your theory is only to likely hood of being killed for being stupid. Then maybe otherwise false. You are adding in non-violent death to prove a point when this is a violent way to die.

There have been 9 abductions of foreign nationals in that region of the country. That is in the last 6 months. So double that and that would 18 a year. Of that 6 died and one died later.

Homicide rate in New York City this year 2011, was 211. There are 8 million people in New York City.

To equal that rate you would have to have 127 thousand expats living in Mindanao. To equal the homicide rate of New York. So you are safer in New York City. Unless 127 thousand expats reside in Mindanao. Using the 12 as death rate.

Yet apples and oranges.

Again people comparing to the US when you can not do that.

• Like 1

I am not going to go into debating death rates per capita, etc., etc., in any country. But, I will say this. I have never felt unsafe ANYWHERE in the Philippines, as I would, and have, in certain parts of my own home town back in the USA. There are a number of areas in Savannah that I would not visit even during the day - WITH a loaded gun in hand.

Stranded Shipscook

That is untrue.

If your theory is only to likely hood of being killed for being stupid. Then maybe otherwise false. You are adding in non-violent death to prove a point when this is a violent way to die.

There have been 9 abductions of foreign nationals in that region of the country. That is in the last 6 months. So double that and that would 18 a year. Of that 6 died and one died later.

Homicide rate in New York City this year 2011, was 211. There are 8 million people in New York City.

To equal that rate you would have to have 127 thousand expats living in Mindanao. To equal the homicide rate of New York. So you are safer in New York City. Unless 127 thousand expats reside in Mindanao. Using the 12 as death rate.

Yet apples and oranges.

Again people comparing to the US when you can not do that.

Tim you just read the first sentence, later i continued that it just increases the general life/death risk any inhabitant on this planet has marginally. here is my full posts, so you don't have to go back to read the rest :

Theoratically it is more dangerous to live in New York, Los Angeles or Cebu City due to the chance of getting killed in a regular crime. Or a simple traffic accident.

Or driving your car anywhere on a highway. Or working in any "manual" job.

It just increases your risk by a tiny fraction of the regular risks.

I still would not RECOMMEND it as a safe place. But just as i say to people visiting Germany, "You should experience to drive on a Highway without any speed limit for fun" its up to everybody to decide for himself.

But the again, that doesn't help the either.

Risks should be mentioned, but not sensationalized so that a person can make his decision.

See, we are surrounded by violent or accidental deaths, i think in the West killer nbr. one is household works- housewifes falling from chairs, getting electrocuted and so on. Not sure, but you get the point. Not even talking about dying on a Highway.

So i wanted to express, that there always is a possibility to die unexpected.

Not only by crime, which is worldwide marginally anyway. Again, pls read all before feeling yourself or your country attacked.

Edited by G....
  • Like 1

I looked up The Abu Sayyaf in Wikapedia. According to that source their heaquarters and principal area of operation is Jolo in the island province of Sulu. I don't know how close that is to Davao (which I've read is a clean and peaceful city) but I'm sure I don't want to go there. I'm also sure I don't want to go to Oakland but that doesn't mean I want to leave California. Oakland is about 300 miles from where I live.

The voice of reason . From the US but wouldn't go to Watts in La or even parts of the city i reside in here in Northern Mindanao ( Cagayan de Oro ) either . Just a matter of common sense from my perspective . After 10 years here feel that Mindanao as a whole gets far to much bad press based on very small % of the island where there is significant problems with kidnapping , etc . Fact is unless you are known to be wealthy or a foreigner that is stupid your chances of abduction are pretty slim .

PS - Suspect Sulu is more than 300 miles from Davao as well . :-)

• Like 1

The way I see Mindanao is like the salt water.... Overall probably a beautiful and enjoyable experience to be found but the dangers are there, just not in your face. Just like you could go swimming all of your life and never get bitten by a shark, the same with Mindanao that the chance of you been kidnapped etc are low but it's still a chance you can take or leave. I don't swim in areas that sharks hangout like estuary entrances, river mouths, at sunset and sunrise, would not go swimming with a dog or with any cuts. The same with Mindanao, i would probably travel there, to Davao, Suriago etc but I would also not visit certain places either.

I do not swim there either, I scuba instead its far more relaxing

Edited by spooks
  • Like 2
Headshot

As much as i like your advise in Paragraph one, i have to protest against the rest Anti Muslem statements, which is without any base or if, please state your sources.

Otherwise i just state that this is just your humble opinion. Which is fine then.

It is, of course, my humble opinion...based on my humble experiences. You are welcome to a differing opinion. That certainly won't bother me.