Mindanao: We dare not travel there!

I am referring to a post I just made in the Australian National Kidnapped thread.

After traveling there EXTENSIVELY and fairly OFTEN over the years, I still don't get this mess about how "unsafe" or "dangerous" Mindanao is.

Let me preface this to say I realize Wikipedia isn't necessarily the best source for information, although many quote it regularly, including myself, as a resource. But, I feel as though it is probably fairly reliable in the information it offers.

Okay. So, I should first let you know that Mindanao is an absolutely HUGE island. Too give you an idea, it took me and a passenger, by motorcycle, eight full hours to travel from Nasipit, through Butuan and on into Davao City, driving roughly 333 kilometers. This was a one way trip from Nasipit to Davao. It is about a seven hour drive from Davao City back up to Cagayan de Oro (CDO), as a bit more information for you.

The Geography of Mindanao, as stated on Wikipedia:

Mindanao is the second largest island in the country at 94,630 square kilometers, and is the eighth most populous island in the world. The island of Mindanao is larger than 125 countries worldwide, including the Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Taiwan and Ireland. The island is mountainous, and is home to Mount Apo, the highest mountain in the country. Mindanao is surrounded by seas: the Sulu Sea to the west, the Philippine Sea to the east, and the Celebes Sea to the south. Of all the islands of the Philippines, Mindanao and Borneo shows the greatest variety of physiographic development. High, rugged, faulted mountains; almost isolated volcanic peaks; high rolling plateaus; and broad, level, swampy plains are found there.

The island group of Mindanao encompasses Mindanao island itself and the Sulu Archipelago to the southwest. The island group is divided into six regions, which are further subdivided into 26 provinces.

Folks, the island is almost 95,000 square kilometers! that is a LOT of territory. And, as stated in the quote above, Mindanao is larger than 125 countries in the world. So, before making such a rash decision as to not visit Mindanao, realize the vast majority of the island is quite nice, beautiful, peaceful, and offers some gorgeous mountain ranges to view while driving across the island.

• Like 8
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stranded Shipscook

• Paul

• smokey

• newtocebu

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am referring to a post I just made in the Australian National Kidnapped thread.   After traveling there EXTENSIVELY and fairly OFTEN over the years, I still don't get this mess about how "unsafe"

Perhaps a tee-shirt needs to be made for Expats living or visiting in South Mindanao, and in huge letters and several local dialects write.   ******"Kidnappers BEWARE"****** Too poor to be worth ki

I do not want to change this into another thread about safety in Davao, but i would like to just say that Davao in the past was a somewhat lawless and dangerous place to be, and that corrective measu

Posted Images

BossHog
Of all the islands of the Philippines, Mindanao and Borneo shows the greatest variety of physiographic development.

Is Borneo in the safe or danger zone of Mindanao?

Is Borneo in the safe or danger zone of Mindanao?

They probably don't care about tourists, they're more after foreigners residing there.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Mindanao is not something i know just a whole lot about

so just playing devils advocate here

not trying to over generalize here but perhaps it's safer to travel through than it is to live there

i mean when you travel through some place you are there and gone. if someone is going to become a target it's easier if they are there day after day after day

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Since when did Borneo become part of the Philippines???

Borneo (Malay: Borneo, Indonesian: Kalimantan) is the third largest island in the world and is located north of Java Island, Indonesia, at the geographic centre of Maritime Southeast Asia.

The island is divided among three countries: Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia

• Like 1
Davaoeno
i mean when you travel through some place you are there and gone. if someone is going to become a target it's easier if they are there day after day after day

personally i always feel safer when on my home turf . Its when i go to somewhere unfamiliar that i dont know where the danger zones are that i should avoid.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

personally i always feel safer when on my home turf . Its when i go to somewhere unfamiliar that i dont know where the danger zones are that i should avoid.

that's true and there's a lot to be said for that

but i guess i was getting at... the bad guys don't know someones vacation plans

ArieBombarie

Borneo is Indonesia right?

Huge is usually an advantage for gangs, much harder to hide on a small island.

Security situations are of course very different depending on the specific location, Afghanistan is huge as well and sure you will be safe in 80% of the place (stuck on a uninhabited mountain). But it seems a hassle to me to find out what road is safe and what is not, traveling through is a different matter then settling down I woul think.

There are gangs active, we as foreigners don't know the exact situation on the ground, most of the time we get away with ignorance or we take the obvious measures that come with dangerous territory. If I had to go there for business I would likely not hesitate but for pleasure why should I stress myself or more likely why stress the family big time, sure there is a lot of ignorance, last time we lost contact in siquior the family feared we where kidnapped by pirates since it is in the South hehehe

ArieBombarie

that's true and there's a lot to be said for that

but i guess i was getting at... the bad guys don't know someones vacation plans

unless he posts them on his facebookpage and they got a girl set up to lure him in :rolleyes:

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

I personally love living on Mindanao......................... and really do not see me living anywhere else in the RP.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

unless he posts them on his facebookpage and they got a girl set up to lure him in :rolleyes:

that's why i never say where i'm going until i get back

good way to get your house robbed while you're gone too

While living here in the Philippines, I must admit that my years in Mindanao were the happiest.

Yesterday, while on a V-hire ride through Bohol, I was witness to a fatal motorcycle accident on the highway in the middle of nowhere. And the moral of the story is....??

I went to butuan and it is different to cebu as the security on the street seems a bit more serious.

I think the lesson here is to know you wife/gf family and your local police. I am sure there are hundreds of expats living in the no go area and are living in peace..

Borneo is Indonesia right?

Partly. Apart from the Indonesian part it accommodates East Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak, as well as Brunei (which does not belong to the Malay Federation anymore).

It has nothing to do with Mindanao or the Philippines - apart from the geological similarities quoted in the OP.

Stranded Shipscook

Theoratically it is more dangerous to live in New York, Los Angeles or Cebu City due to the chance of getting killed in a regular crime. Or a simple traffic accident.

Or driving your car anywhere on a highway. Or working in any "manual" job.

It just increases your risk by a tiny fraction of the regular risks.

I still would not RECOMMEND it as a safe place. But just as i say to people visiting Germany, "You should experience to drive on a Highway without any speed limit for fun" its up to everybody to decide for himself.

But the again, that doesn't help the either.

Risks should be mentioned, but not sensationalized so that a person can make his decision.

• Like 1