A shakedown by police to welcome me to Philippines

JamesMusslewhite

Did they let you keep that 10,000 Peso Bullet?

I have to say that has to be one of the most expensive bullets on the planet. Yet there is a sign as you enter prior to going through the first X-Ray. I know you have to declare certain items prior to going through it. Is Firearms on the list. If so you were really in deep. Lucky for crooked cops or you would have missed the flight and everything else.

Mind you I do not think it is right.

B000002N85.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Davaoeno

• Jess Bartone

• Cary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just can't understand what you'd want with a bullet, don't mean to be nasty, but pretty dumb move on your part to put it in your luggage....

I would have offered 7000, so they could figure out how to divide it evenly without a calculator.

I reckon a lot of it comes down to luck. I brought in a brand new bass guitar and two brand new 30 watt amplifiers. They spotted the amps going through the x-ray and I was asked to pull one out, then

Saw this topic posted in a luzon board a few weeks back , looked odd then, even more so now!!

Interesting

Stranded Shipscook

Actually the coppers were quite nice to offer you a 400 $ fine instead of incarcerating you for :

a.) Violation of firearms laws, that is pretty hefty.

b.) Violation of IATA Airtraffic laws by carrying dangerous goods on an Airplane. That alone is good for prison.

and a few other laws.

All in all good for a prison sentence in any country anywhere in the world. Plus a fat fine.

I have been to Philippines many times but only for short visits of 2-3 weeks at a time. This time I arrived in Philippines with the intent to live in Philippines (or at least try) and I was warmly welcomed by corrupt police with a shakedown. Here is what happened.

I was walking in Clark SM mall and found a bullet. It must have been dropped by one of the security people at the mall. I picked it up and because I have never seen a real bullet before (other than in movies and TV), I thought it was kind of cool so I kept it. I put it in my luggage and after that I never gave it a second thought. I assumed it would not be a problem in a checked bag just like you can take kitchen knife in checked bag with no problem.

My flight was from Angeles City to Cebu, with my final destination being Davao. At the Clark airport security check point (to enter the airport to get to the airline check in counter), the bullet showed up in the x-ray. The police were all excited and immediately confiscated my passport. I was taken away to a small back room and surrounded by 7 (yes seven) policemen and airport security people. They all were excitedly telling me one after another that I committed a serious crime by having a bullet in my luggage. They said that I will be held and taken to the police station and that I will not be able to take my flight. I explained what happened, that I picked up the bullet at SM mall and did not know that I cannot carry a bullet, even in a checked bag. My explanation fell on deaf ears as I am sure they were busy thinking about how much money they can squeeze out of the foreigner. The intense intimidation by the 7 people took about 40 minutes. For the full 40 minutes, not one person left the room. I think maybe they were afraid that if they left the room they would not get their share of the shakedown. There must not be much to do at the airport for the 7 police and security people to be spending 40 minutes with me trying to scare me into paying up as much as possible.

For the 40 minutes they kept threatening to take me to the police station but they were not making any moves to do that. All they were trying to do was to make me miss my flight and inconvenience me as much as possible. They wanted PHP 20,000 to forget that they found a bullet in my luggage. I balked at this figure and I told them that if they want me to give them money it will have to be a reasonable amount and that I would only pay if I am able to catch my original flight. I said if I miss the flight I will go to the police station and be charged with whatever and I would not pay any money. Anyway as my flight time was drawing near I was resigned to accepting the fact that I would miss my flight and that I would be taken to the police station. But then one of the police asked what can you pay? I said I could pay PHP 5,000 if I can catch my flight but they declined. I guess PHP 5,000 was not enough to go around for 7 people. They asked for PHP 10,000 and I did a quick calculation in my head to figure out how much I would lose if I missed my flight. The fact that I had pre-paid 2 nights hotel in Cebu, plus expensive last minute ticket for two people would add up to about PHP 10,000. So since I was going to lose PHP 10,000 either way, I told them I would pay the money. Also, I was concerned that if I didn’t pay anything (after 7 people worked so hard to squeeze money out of me) I could be in for some rough time as they might take out their frustration on me and charge me with some trumped up offense in addition to the bullet.

I never experienced anything like this before. If it was one or two police trying to extort money discreetly I could say I was just unlucky that I happened to run into bad apples. But when 7 people surround you and try to intimidate you for 40 minutes, it isn’t a few bad apples but the whole bunch is rotten to the core.

In my country I have always respected the police and I have never had any run ins with them. Their motto of “to serve and to protect” seemed very appropriate. I always thought of police as a protective force that I would run to if I was in trouble. Prior to this experience, I also thought of Philippines police in the same vein that I would run to them if I ever found myself in trouble. But after this experience, I think I will keep a wide berth as much as possible.

Related to this I have several questions that I hope some members will answer.

- If I did not pay the money, what would I be charged with and how serious would be the offense (ie having a bullet in your check bag)?

- If I was charged, what is the process that would be followed?

-What would you do if you were in my situation?

seaman

I would have picked up the bullet to look at it indeed, but put it in my luggage? Hell fecking no! Are you buang? Your GOAL is to get to your intended destination hassle free! You can go look to any gunshop in the malls in the Philippines to look at bullets. Your story is very illuminating, however. Next time I go back, I will not take any shit from the locals period. Cops included.

As asked earlier, I'm wondering if this was a fired bullet, a spent casing, or a live cartridge. It is not clear from the OP (or maybe I missed it).

thebob

If I found some ammunition in a mall, I would point it out to a security guard and then beat a hasty retreat.

It was probably dropped by a guard.

• Like 1
Davaoeno
As asked earlier, I'm wondering if this was a fired bullet, a spent casing, or a live cartridge. It is not clear from the OP (or maybe I missed it).

Many of us get our education re armaments from watching movies, so we get a bit confused about some things ie such as thinking that a "bullet" includes the cartridge, or that a semi-automatic hand gun is called an "automatic"

[ i think i got those things right ? :ROFLMAO: ]

Edited by davaolife
Jess Bartone

Next time I go back, I will not take any shit from the locals period. Cops included.

Are you in the right thread? If so... wow man, you're so brave, I'll remember to write a heartfelt tribute to you. What would you do to a Mexican in your country who didn't take any shit from locals cops included?

Many of us get our education re armaments from watching movies, so we get a bit confused about some things ie such as thinking that a "bullet" includes the cartridge...

Which is how the expression came about "a little knowledge is dangerous". Cracked me up the ignorant comments about "used in the commissioning of a crime".

Are you in the right thread? If so... wow man, you're so brave, I'll remember to write a heartfelt tribute to you. What would you do to a Mexican in your country who didn't take any shit from locals cops included?

Which is how the expression came about "a little knowledge is dangerous". Cracked me up the ignorant comments about "used in the commissioning of a crime".

I am talking about their incessant need for graft and corruption. This is the heritage I am supposed to be proud of? I will never stoop to paying graft. Edited by M.Baboy
Davaoeno
would you like to go camping?

I'm pretty sure Guenther doesnt swing that way !

Stupid move OP. You got off easy.

the bullet could have been used in commission of a crime, for all you knew. What if it had been used to kill someone, and that someone else had just dumped it at the mall where you picked it up and that it was later found by the police to have been used in that crime. You would have been in really deep shit then. Anybody turning up with a bullet in their bag at just about any airport I can think of would have some explaining to do to security, and 'I found it in a mall, officer', may not cover too many bases for you.

How could a live bullet have been already used to kill someone?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Stupid move OP. You got off easy.

How could a live bullet have been already used to kill someone?

stuff one up each nostril tape the mouth shut

• Like 1
Stranded Shipscook

I'm pretty sure Guenther doesnt swing that way !

I wonder what make you think, that this post

snapback.pngeggnoggin, on 09 December 2011 - 12:18 AM, said:

would you like to go camping?

is in response to mine or any other post in this topic, or related to the topic, or related to LinC, or anything in THIS universe. :D

the.lone.gunman

Many of us get our education re armaments from watching movies, so we get a bit confused about some things ie such as thinking that a "bullet" includes the cartridge, or that a semi-automatic hand gun is called an "automatic"

A cartridge IS the bullet, case, powder, and primer. It is a live round.

[ i think i got those things right ? :ROFLMAO: ]