A shakedown by police to welcome me to Philippines

Peter Lowther

the bullet could have been used in commission of a crime, for all you knew. What if it had been used to kill someone, and that someone else had just dumped it at the mall where you picked it up and that it was later found by the police to have been used in that crime. You would have been in really deep shit then. Anybody turning up with a bullet in their bag at just about any airport I can think of would have some explaining to do to security, and 'I found it in a mall, officer', may not cover too many bases for you.

Isn't it very unlikely that a bullet used to kill somebody would have been removed from the crime scene by the killer or accomplice?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Davaoeno

• Jess Bartone

• Cary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just can't understand what you'd want with a bullet, don't mean to be nasty, but pretty dumb move on your part to put it in your luggage....

I would have offered 7000, so they could figure out how to divide it evenly without a calculator.

I reckon a lot of it comes down to luck. I brought in a brand new bass guitar and two brand new 30 watt amplifiers. They spotted the amps going through the x-ray and I was asked to pull one out, then

You should have left the bullet right where you found it, in my opinion.

• Like 2
hookedtothenet

Seaman,

I reckon your new start in the RP would have been a very short one if they had taken you and charged you, they may of even reported the offence to your home country and deported you.

Firearm's and ammunition is a big 'No No' in every airport in the world unless you have the proper papers to carry such, and then it would be checked in separately and stowed accordingly.

In many respects I think you were lucky that you were in the RP and got shook down, as maybe it would have led to a whole heap of trouble for you including a ban from entering the RP again.

Maybe someone would have believed you and the truth, but in this day and age they tend to frown on any foolhardy act's.

You can't make a joke about carrying a bomb in the airports anymore or you will get a fine and/or jail time! What is the world coming to! LOL!

Take it as a huge lesson learn't and thank your lucky stars it didn't go further.

Best of luck in the future here in RP.

Jess Bartone

the bullet could have been used in commission of a crime, for all you knew. What if it had been used to kill someone, and that someone else had just dumped it at the mall where you picked it up and that it was later found by the police to have been used in that crime. You would have been in really deep shit then. Anybody turning up with a bullet in their bag at just about any airport I can think of would have some explaining to do to security, and 'I found it in a mall, officer', may not cover too many bases for you.

These are bullets:

FI38125JSP.jpg

These are spent casings:

il_fullxfull.209187991.jpg

And these are ready-to-fire cartridges, which I suspect is what the collector was moved to keep in his luggage... the only way it could've been used in a crime is if someone threw it really angrily, and maybe expressed a few awful profanities:

50GI-cartridge.jpg

Fallibility apparent.

Edited by Jesse

Seaman;

Even before I even visited the RP I had heard horror stories so I made sure that my s** did not stink. I am glad that you are ok but please remember anytime you cross the border, any border you are not at home anymore and therefore do not give the powers that be any excuse to mess with you.

Jess Bartone

...my s** did not stink...

No but I bet the farts gave you away... sorry Cary couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Saw this topic posted in a luzon board a few weeks back , looked odd then, even more so now!!

dc3driver

think these guys did you a favor really, amo is on the list of items you can not bring into a plane and who knows what shit you might have gotten yourself into had you traveled on with it and arrived in HK or Singapore with it

it might look like a shake down but I think here corruption was your friend, it is usually cheaper, picking up the real fine is just practical if you got a fixer higher up the tree who gives a good discount

I think ArieBombarie is correct in this instance, P 10K saved you a lot of time & more serious hassles.

I remember a post I made awhile ago. A few years ago while my father-in-law was still alive I got him a model ship in a bottle as a gift. I went to NAIA and the security guard saw it on the xray machine and asked me about it. I told him. I even had them take it out and look at it. He thought it was booze and started to press me on that. I am surprised at the fact now I stayed calm and told him several times no booze a model ship and if they broke it they have to pay me because it was a gift for my father-in-law. After I guess 10 minutes of this going back and forth they let me pass. My point Seaman and everyone else, pack your own bag and know what you have and stay calm especially if you are in the right.

Jess Bartone

I reckon a lot of it comes down to luck. I brought in a brand new bass guitar and two brand new 30 watt amplifiers. They spotted the amps going through the x-ray and I was asked to pull one out, then the other one, and then the bass... it was very obvious all the gear was brand new. I thought I would have to pay duty or something but I said they're gifts for my wife's family and he waved me on... a lot different to an unspent cartridge I know, but I was wide open to graft, and it never happened. We have the P-bass, next trip is the Strat, then the electric drums, the keyboards, and so on... 8 channel mixer... bigger amps... we love making music.

I make a habit of calling officials "sir" and I stoop to make myself smaller and not tower over them. In my experience, a little bit of respect goes a long way.

• Like 3
ArieBombarie

I do make a point of being attentive, relaxed and non confrontational as well, never been stopped anywhere in my life, it is not a great job these people got (dealing with tourists all day is not my idea of fun) and I try to make things as easy as possible for them, I am so obvious of good intent I think it shows :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

ammo and airports don't mix

I once brought back 5 laptops all for personal use i explained.. they just talked had the boss come over and let me go.. I never bring that many again I will stick to 3.

as for bullets WTF where you thinking, you are luck to only pay 10k