Sign in to follow this  
Jawny

Mac Time Capsule slowed down

Jawny

I have a MacBook pro, working fine with OSX Lion. I use a Time Capsule to maintain my Time Machine. It seems to work fine as far as updating. No excessive time. However, just recently I started to notice some very slow functioning when I opened Time Machine to get an older file. It was very slow, but would eventually accomplish the task. I've not added much to my MacBook lately, but did wonder if a bunch of mp3 music files had somehow caused the slowdown. I also installed Globe Tattoo software. Otherwise, nothing unusual.

My query has to do with the device I have from Globe for internet. I wondered if I can buy a better one and change it out myself. I really don't want to ask Globe to do this. The router they gave me is a Huawei B933 wireless gateway.

Lately I have been getting bad signals. Not sure if it is all coincidence, but I want to see if I have a better choice of one I can buy. What I am unsure of is whether or not I will need Globe to make the change as they may use passwords with the Sim.

I use only the MacBook now, but shortly will be using a small netbook and possibly at the same time, same gateway.

mpt1947

OK I am not a techie, but why don't you use the the Time Capsule as your wireless Router - Globe provided the modem and the time capsule can be both the Time Machine and Capsule -

When I lived in the US I had a 500 GB Time Capsule - I had a Wireless Printer, two Mac's and an Apple TV running off that no slow down, even when the computers were being backed up.

Of course that was the US - I don't have problems backing up or accessing my Time Machine now, but I am not using it as a Router either.

Jawny

I solved the problem of the sluggish Time Machine. I discovered that the Pinpoint software I had would create a conflict with the Time Machine graphics. In effect, the two could work well together because I didn't have the latest and greatest graphics cards on my MBP. Quit Pinpoint when using Time Machine, problem solved.

I am still interested in replacing the wireless gateway (the Huawei). I may use the incorrect terminology, but I have to use the gateway in order to get an internet signal. I just wondered if others had replaced their own gateway or if it has to have Globe techies do it.

I am now trying to solve a black screen problem that has suddenly appeared after sleep. Going to try resetting the SMC and PRAM as I've read on several help sites.