Rusty beer!

Isn't that only the seal? Like a replacement for the old cork disk?

KonGC

I don't have one in the fridge to research, but I think it's the whole underside of the cap. Anyway, the rust tends to accumulate under the rim.

Edited by abw
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KennyF

• abw

• RogerDat

• Stranded Shipscook

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually they don't need to be submerged to become "rusty" capped. A simple trip on a delivery truck or a nasty squall coming sideways into a storage does the same job. It also add's dust and other pa

You know, I just had a thought. Both Oz and Thailand deliver beer in sealed cardboard boxes. RP only use open plastic crates.   Maybe that's it.   KonGC

Crown cork       Look carefully at that picture of the Crown Cap underside!   That is a rubberized (silicone?) SEAL.   This keeps the Beer and the Gas (CO2) inside the bottle.   So unle

Complaining about rust on the bottle neck seems absurd. In the 60's and 70's SMB bottles were likely to contain bits of rags, straw, and in one case a small mouse. During those days you held the bottle up to a light before you drank from it. Cloudy beer was also a common occurrence.

Free extra fibre and protean with every bear!

Jess Bartone

The bottle caps here in Australia (not sure about other countries) have a kind of synthetic rubber liner on the inside to stop rust contamination.

San Mig has the rubber seal too. I have had lots of stubbies with a little bit of rust outside the rubber seal but never inside, and never had a flat beer in the Philippines (touch wood).

David_LivinginTalisay

Crown cork

220px-Kronenkorken_01_KMJ.jpg

The crown cork (also known as a crown cap or just a caps), the first form of bottle cap, was invented by William Painter in 1891 in Baltimore. The company making it was originally called the Bottle Seal Company, but it changed its name with the almost immediate success of the crown cork to the Crown Cork and Seal Company. It still informally goes by that name, but is officially Crown Holdings.Crown corks is similar to the Pilfer proof caps as usage of both the product is to seal the bottle.

The crown cork was the first highly successful disposable product (it can be resealed but not easily). This inspired King C. Gillette to invent the disposable razor when he was a salesman for the Crown Cork Company. The company still survives, producing many forms of packaging.[1]

Prior to the invention of the crown cork bottle stopper, soda bottles had ordinary cork bottle stoppers and often had rounded bottoms so they could not be stored standing upright. The reason for this is corks have a tendency to dry out and shrink, which allows the gas pressure in the bottle to cause the cork to "pop." Storing bottles on their side prevents the corks from drying out and "popping." After the invention of the crown cork bottle stopper, this problem was eliminated and soda bottles could be stored standing upright.[2]

Kronenkorken_03_KMJ.jpg

Look carefully at that picture of the Crown Cap underside!

That is a rubberized (silicone?) SEAL.

This keeps the Beer and the Gas (CO2) inside the bottle.

So unless the Caps been loosened, the Beer should remain FRESH.

Find a Flat Beer- don't Drink it. Put the cap back on best you can and take it back where you bought it from, they should replace it.

So the Caps go Rusty in a fridge, or if you put them in a Cold Box with Ice and Water'

So what, it does/should not affect the Beer inside!

Why do you think many Bars serve the bottle with serviette around the top?

To wipe the Neck clean of any rust, if you are drinking it from the bottle.

If you are pouring into a glass it should not make contact with any rust!

2675.jpg4069.jpg7278.jpg12827.jpg

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
  • Like 1
RogerDat

Greetings! I drank SM at Clark back in 70's, and the slimy slug thing in the bottom was a real gagger at the end when it was really hot and foamy! :) Newbe's uses to puke at times, the old farts just spit it in the floor and ask for a replacement. I looked at it close one time, it looked like rice mixed with flem. I thought it was left over from brewing. Those were the days, first two years no cold, only cool beer cause two on two off electricity. On Field's Avenue, when the power shifted from one side to the other, as lights went out and Juke Box stopped playing, other side, "My Filippo Baby" would start up where it left off, and we would migrate to the other side to continue where we left off with our "cross street girl friend" .

ANYWAY, hygiene is not my complaint about the rust, it is what it indicates, an old "musty" brew been sitting some where in the heat going bad, that is why I made a fuss about it, AND that dealer replaced it with "green" SMB that just about burns a hole thru you. I will try and find another supplier soon.

i Bitch about city life sometimes (most) but fresh beer is good to have, I forget at times how hard it is on outer laying islands. I think I would drink tuba out there. :lol:

dirtsquirter

SMB just plain sucks to begin with! I have only tasted a few good beers here, and this wasn't one of them. The rust is just a bonus plan, and wiping the top with a napkin does nothing, I use a green scrubber pad, then wipe it down with a napkin. I know most of you guys will cry about the taste of Manila beer, but I think it's much better than the SMB, and the rust problem seems to be a lower percentage.