Rusty beer!

RogerDat

Greetings! I DO NOT buy my beer from the truck because it sits on it in the sun, and got transported all over Mactan before they delivered it to my house, clear bottle in hot sun ruins beer i was taught when working for a distributor of Budweiser. i complained, still no cover on trucks to this day. My distributor picks up their beer from somewhere, it is NOT delivered from big SMB trucks because they can't get down the little street they are located on in Looc. I use a straw to drink my beer and it is in an insulated plastic mug the bottle fits in. that has a big handle my hand fits thru. The straw keeps me from chipping another tooth cause I sometimes can't control my mussel spasims

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KennyF

• abw

• RogerDat

• Stranded Shipscook

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually they don't need to be submerged to become "rusty" capped. A simple trip on a delivery truck or a nasty squall coming sideways into a storage does the same job. It also add's dust and other pa

You know, I just had a thought. Both Oz and Thailand deliver beer in sealed cardboard boxes. RP only use open plastic crates.   Maybe that's it.   KonGC

Crown cork       Look carefully at that picture of the Crown Cap underside!   That is a rubberized (silicone?) SEAL.   This keeps the Beer and the Gas (CO2) inside the bottle.   So unle

RogerDat

Greetings! I pick my beer up from distributor because they let it sit on open truck until it sells, clear bottle in sun = bad beer. I pick it up from their warehouse, which is like most here. They DO have a new forklift, and have made improvements, but still don't equal U. S . standards like when I worked for a Budweiser distributor, we had cooled storage, and daily washed the floors and isles between the stacks, and our loading bay held 8 trucks, and loading forklifts with room to spare.

I drink my beer thru a straw, the bottle is inside a plastic insulated mug, with a large handle my hand fits thru, that way when I get a mussel spasm from my neurological infirmity's I don't drop my beer, AND don't chip a tooth again! :as-if:

The double post occurred because the first post disappeared, and I could not remember what all I wrote!!!

Yesterday, my password had to be reset cause my old stopped working, today, post are jumping around, what gives???

Edited by RogerDat
The habit of drinking out of the bottle is something i have skipped a long time ago. Even when wiped with a tissue, its still not clean. I know the majority does drink out of bottles, but that may also explain the "digestive" problems of many. I see a point in not "trusting" glasses, but how much can one trust a bottleneck "being on the road" ?

Thanks Catman, G or whatever you call yourself these days. I usually wipe the rim of the bottle before drinking to get some of the rust off. I may start pouring into a glass next time...tastes better too.

We're going back for our yearly holidays there (Bacolod) on Monday, so I'll have to do some more research.

BossHog

I've bought, opened, and sold thousands of cases of SML and can't recall ever seeing one single bottle without the rust.

I'd assumed that it was an issue of the cases being brought over to the island by boat and being splashed with salt water.

Selling beer in clear glass bottles in the tropics has always struck me as a bad idea.

Yer garden variety SMB has just as much rust, it's just harder to see and, as Krautman stated, will cause tummy trouble.

As for tasting musty and off, I just always assumed that SML tasted terrible. Maybe I'll try one in the city sometime.

Until then ....Pilsen for me in a tall frosty glass!

ps. anyone got a suggestion of what to do with 7 "balde's" full of rusted beer caps.

I too also just wipe the bottle top with some tissue and it has not caused me any problems doing that. Most places around here sell you the bottled beer with the tissue already twisted around the top, i assume its the same elsewhere. I would say 1 in 8 bottles i have drunk have some degree of rust on them, but the rest of them are clean. Just my two pence worth.

I always wipe the top of the bottle with a tissue or cloth, prior to drinking from it.

I always wipe the top of the bottle with a tissue or cloth, prior to drinking from it.

Staff at some places do it for you - even a small burger place. Depends on the training of the staff. Btw this thing happens to coke and other bottled products, not only beer. Since these are from other plants and distributors, I tend to believe the problem is humidity, cheap metal used and transportation combined.

the problem is humidity, cheap metal used and transportation combined.

I think it's mostly that they are stored in a crate.

As I posted earlier, Thai and Aussie beer among others are in a sealed box.

KonGC

Stranded Shipscook

The cardboard crate idea was considered by SMB as well ( They did that in HK ) but the problem is the costs and distributor/logistics involved in it.

One can not do that with "returns".

Then also the fact, that most small distributors ( SMB don't deliver directly to establishments, they use subcontractors) have no enclosed storage, and even if, Ants, Cockroaches, termites and other wildlife would make it a bit hard.

Ideas where made in the way of using tin cans only, but that is costly and bad for the environment. Aluminium caps are too expensive, laquering them as well. Every 0.000xxx of a centavo adds up when multiplied by millions daily.

Are we willing to pay for that ? (we- Filipinos included, if one is so turned of, buy a can...oops, mahal !)

Anyhow, its not that bad, just clean the bottles and use a glass. I would (again) not be to concerned about the rust, which is harmless to health, btu the Road dust particles under the crown caps.

Washing them entirely before placing them in the refrigerator does not entirely clean it off. On a microscopical,level, ask a surgeon for details...

Aside of this, the road dust with its particles of dog poo,dried roadkill, dead cockroaches, rat pee and other yucky items is in the air at any time. We breath it, get it in our eyes, nostrils and mouth.

And you think you are safe when wiping your bottle of with a dry tissue... :ROFLMAO:

The bottle caps here in Australia (not sure about other countries) have a kind of synthetic rubber liner on the inside to stop rust contamination.

The bottle caps here in Australia (not sure about other countries) have a kind of synthetic rubber liner on the inside to stop rust contamination.

Isn't that only the seal? Like a replacement for the old cork disk?

KonGC

I got rusty bottles many times in Cebu.

As Paul said, I just got in the habit of cleaning the neck very well before drinking.

I dont think its any conspiracy, just oxidation of the cap, due to humidity.

CardiacKid

Complaining about rust on the bottle neck seems absurd. In the 60's and 70's SMB bottles were likely to contain bits of rags, straw, and in one case a small mouse. During those days you held the bottle up to a light before you drank from it. Cloudy beer was also a common occurrence.

Mmmmmmm, mouse beer.

KonGC