Rusty beer!

RogerDat

Greetings! I picked up two cases of SML at my local dealer the other day. Got it cooled down, and it was slightly flat, and "musty" tasting. I thought, O.K, maybe the next will be better. WRONG, the next 6 were all the same.

Then I noticed the rust marks around the bottle neck, and looked at unopened ones, RUST AND DIRT!

These two case's had been under water somewhere, and salvaged, and cleaned up, and passed on to the next guy. The dealer replaced them, but said they came from Manila, and then from their ware house to me. I always pick up my own beer, so it did not get done on the truck. 5 years ago after minor flooding in Babag II, the soft drinks sold in a local store were the same, had been under water, and cleaned up and passed on.

I don't know where the cases got submerged at, but be on the lookout and check under the cap rim before you buy your next case, it might be that a distributor form Manila is trying to cut losses and shipping it here.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KennyF

• Stranded Shipscook

• abw

• RogerDat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually they don't need to be submerged to become "rusty" capped. A simple trip on a delivery truck or a nasty squall coming sideways into a storage does the same job. It also add's dust and other pa

You know, I just had a thought. Both Oz and Thailand deliver beer in sealed cardboard boxes. RP only use open plastic crates.   Maybe that's it.   KonGC

Crown cork       Look carefully at that picture of the Crown Cap underside!   That is a rubberized (silicone?) SEAL.   This keeps the Beer and the Gas (CO2) inside the bottle.   So unle

shadow

Greetings! I picked up two cases of SML at my local dealer the other day. Got it cooled down, and it was slightly flat, and "musty" tasting. I thought, O.K, maybe the next will be better. WRONG, the next 6 were all the same.

Then I noticed the rust marks around the bottle neck, and looked at unopened ones, RUST AND DIRT!

These two case's had been under water somewhere, and salvaged, and cleaned up, and passed on to the next guy. The dealer replaced them, but said they came from Manila, and then from their ware house to me. I always pick up my own beer, so it did not get done on the truck. 5 years ago after minor flooding in Babag II, the soft drinks sold in a local store were the same, had been under water, and cleaned up and passed on.

I don't know where the cases got submerged at, but be on the lookout and check under the cap rim before you buy your next case, it might be that a distributor form Manila is trying to cut losses and shipping it here.

Much more common than you think!

Larry in Dumaguete

smokey

Every year this happens there is a place in talisay you can buy soap power in bulk that is damaged goods.. insurance paid and then the stuff was sold . ohhh nothing like a double profit

• Admin (Retired)
broden

that's the new SML fortified

enhanced with vitamin and minerals

Stranded Shipscook

Actually they don't need to be submerged to become "rusty" capped. A simple trip on a delivery truck or a nasty squall coming sideways into a storage does the same job. It also add's dust and other particles under the crown cap. Like blood from a workers hand who "sorts" bottles.

Its very important to always wash the entire bottle before placing them into the Ref. And then consume in a reasonable time, because the will rust again, also condensation in refs causing rust.

The habit of drinking out of the bottle is something i have skipped a long time ago. Even when wiped with a tissue, its still not clean.

I know the majority does drink out of bottles, but that may also explain the "digestive" problems of many. I see a point in not "trusting" glasses, but how much can one trust a bottleneck "being on the road" ?

I your "beer" case just have the dealer change the entire load and then maybe change the entire dealer if it happens often.

The "famous" Manila story is absolute nonsense. All Standard Beer comes from Mandaue, if they have a negative backlog, they get a barge or two from any other bottling/brewing plant, but not "old" cases.

SMB has only one way- out of the factory, not in again. If in again, then all bottles get emptied, washed and refilled. Fully automatic. The "empty" bottle storage is on the other side of the plant, it has to go through the plant, and they have no other way.

In your case its the dealer, who may has had some old stock "repossessed" or forgotten, i really don't know. But if he receives beer, its fresh and clean from the HUGE SMB trucks we see very seldom.

Edited by EAGLE BACK
  • Like 1

Anyone know (for sure) why San Miguel beers are so often rusty under the cap?

KonGC

Stranded Shipscook

Anyone know (for sure) why San Miguel beers are so often rusty under the cap?

KonGC

As said on my previous post. They get transported on trucks, tricycles and stand under a simple roof. The crown caps are simple tin.

Even general humidity can make them rust in now time. The Philippine air is also full of salt from the sea breeze.

As said on my previous post. They get transported on trucks, tricycles and stand under a simple roof. The crown caps are simple tin.

Even general humidity can make them rust in now time. The Philippine air is also full of salt from the sea breeze.

There are countries all around that area where the beer caps are not rusty.

As far I can see, only RP beers have rust under the cap that needs wiping.

I guess I'm asking why San Miguel in particular are rusty.

KonGC

tobster

Most bottle caps are made from metal such as iron, steel, brass or any combination thereof.

Most bottle caps are made from metal such as iron, steel, brass or any combination thereof.

Your point being?

KonGC

tobster

My apoligies.

Being made of a ferous material and the PI humidity, would account for the rust.

My apoligies.

Being made of a ferous material and the PI humidity, would account for the rust.

But the question is, why RP? They don't rust in Thailand or Oz, both of which are as humid as RP.

KonGC

tobster

Like everything here it is of the poorest quality that any human could possibly make.

I wonder if this happened in OZ what would happen

Stranded Shipscook

But the question is, why RP? They don't rust in Thailand or Oz, both of which are as humid as RP.

KonGC

because they use a different material or laquer them.

You know, I just had a thought.

Both Oz and Thailand deliver beer in sealed cardboard boxes.

RP only use open plastic crates.

Maybe that's it.

KonGC

• Like 1