PLEASE computer for forex help

David_LivinginTalisay

The slow internet plays an issue. However you should be able to get the trades fairly fast.

I have a 2Mb connection. My ping rate is 483 to NY city. I had my Dad check his ping rate on a his 4 Mb connection in Houston. 128MS. The difference between the two would be your delay. Additionally I am a wireless connection. So that adds to my ping rate. You can check yours go to speedtest.net and select a server in NY City.

As for connections. I would do this. You need a UPS. You will need this for you computer and DSL modem. Then if the power goes out you are still online. The phone system is separate from the power system. I would get a DSL Line and Smartbro line.

Thus you are covered in two ways. Smartbro during trading time US will operate at 2Mb which is plenty fast enough. I would get the same for DSL modem of 2mb. That will set you back about 60 USD a month. Then I would get a load balancing router. Ensuring that you are get the best transfer rate across both connections.

Lastly do not forget you will need two UPS one for the internet and one for the computer. I do not feel you will have any problem trading here. You just have to prepare properly.

Same thoughts as I had Tim.

Landline DSL and Broadband Radio Internet (SmartBro or WiMax?).

SkyCable might be another possibility if the Condo is in the right area?

Not totally sure why you stated separate using a separate UPS for Modem however?

It could run off the same UPS as the PC, surely? If using more than one PC, I would have a UPS for each PC. If one has Broadband Radio Internet, as well as DSL connection, then a B/W sharing Router would be a good idea as you suggested, and that should run from a UPS.

I can see an advantage to having a UPS for the DSL Modem if you are running WiFi, as you could still connect from Mobile Phone after PC UPS has shut down when battery getting low, as the Modem consumes very little current, so the UPS Battery will last a long time.

Many times I have had to shut the PC down, as the Power outage lasting more than 40 mins, but can still connect via WiFi, as my UPS still managing to power the DSL Modem.

But if the building has a Generator that should not be an issue.

I have a separate UPS for TV, and the Printer/Scanner, and Cable TV Receiver.

Not actually tried this, but may be possible to run a 2nd UPS of the 1st UPS depending on suitability of the UPS (it probably needs Sine-wave Output, so the 2nd UPS runs off a supply resembling the mains supply) When the battery of the 1st UPS is low and that UPS shuts down, the 2nd UPS will run off its batteries, effectively doubling the length of time without Power or better.

Depends on the load off each UPS, but the 1st UPS has the load of the 2nd UPS, and perhaps a printer. The 2nd UPS has the PC and Monitor and perhaps the DSL Modem as the load, so should last longer than the 1st UPS. (ie no printer load ,and the efficiency losses of the 2nd UPS).

Don't try running a UPS off an Inverter, even if the UPS + Load seems within the Ratin g of the Inverer! I did once, and don,t have have that cheap Inverter now (the UPS must present an inductive load or something the Inverter could not cope with, since it was not just a blown fuse!)

toshi/whoever-I should explain myself better.I have been trading full-time for 10 years or so.Trading Fx etc has been my job/living but in the UK,hence,I know little about UPS,back up generators and the "delights" of the internet in Cebu.I previously had a mate do my computer stuff back in England.NOT saying I'm some forex hotshot or expert but am fairly experienced and knowledgeable concerning trading Fx and metals,so,if any opinion/advice about that topic is wanted,(I 'd respond if a PM got to me).Once again,thank you for all the computer/internet help.

• 2 months later...

toshi/whoever-I should explain myself better.I have been trading full-time for 10 years or so.Trading Fx etc has been my job/living but in the UK,hence,I know little about UPS,back up generators and the "delights" of the internet in Cebu.I previously had a mate do my computer stuff back in England.NOT saying I'm some forex hotshot or expert but am fairly experienced and knowledgeable concerning trading Fx and metals,so,if any opinion/advice about that topic is wanted,(I 'd respond if a PM got to me).Once again,thank you for all the computer/internet help.

I am curious if you were able to put everything together.

TheMatrix

This thread has been ruined by an extreme example of information overload. :lol:

Yeah, I second that... and I didn't even have a chance to reply!

But, its been fun watching all the replies and chuckling.

Most of the advice here is sound, but the part where your stops ride on the platform is inaccurate. All platforms that I am aware of, including MT4, have stop losses which reside on the server. This means you can place your order. Turn off your computer and walk away. If price reaches your entry, target or stop loss, you can be assured your order will be filled. Now, there are some special scripts available to keep those orders riding on your computer so to hide them from the broker. Not recommended, but the paranoid use them because they think the broker is running their stops.

Anyway, I am a professional forex trader here in Cebu with a 13-monitor setup, and all redundancy connections as far as internet and power. Just PM me if you would like to visit my office, but David is actually more inclined to help. I'm a little too busy these days.

Yeah, I second that... and I didn't even have a chance to reply!

But, its been fun watching all the replies and chuckling.

Most of the advice here is sound, but the part where your stops ride on the platform is inaccurate. All platforms that I am aware of, including MT4, have stop losses which reside on the server. This means you can place your order. Turn off your computer and walk away. If price reaches your entry, target or stop loss, you can be assured your order will be filled. Now, there are some special scripts available to keep those orders riding on your computer so to hide them from the broker. Not recommended, but the paranoid use them because they think the broker is running their stops.

Anyway, I am a professional forex trader here in Cebu with a 13-monitor setup, and all redundancy connections as far as internet and power. Just PM me if you would like to visit my office, but David is actually more inclined to help. I'm a little too busy these days.

I would like to see how the professional setup looks like as i am pursuing trading full time when i will move to Cebu in May.

TheMatrix

I would like to see how the professional setup looks like as i am pursuing trading full time when i will move to Cebu in May.

Here's my current setup here in Cebu. My trading assistant sits in the desk next to me.

monitors.jpg

TheMatrix

This was my previous setup in the States before moving to Cebu:

desk.jpg

junglelove38

Here's my current setup here in Cebu. My trading assistant sits in the desk next to me.

monitors.jpg

Very nice! I have a somewhat simpler setup here in the Phils for my short-term ES trades. But my trading assistant sits next to me too! :yahoo:

dailygrind.jpg

• Like 1

I apologise for not replying sooner-just to say got my computers set up for trading.I was anxious about it,I imagined it was gonna be hellishly difficult.But after getting some good advice from people here and giving the maintance guy in my building a little tip ( he had to change a few plugs,from 3 pointers to 2's),it was set up without much of a problem.It's not really a complicated set-up-2/3 laptop monitors is what I use here, but if even I as a techno moron can do it ( with decent advice) anyone who wants to do similar will have little difficulty.

ellenbrook2001

THE MATRIX reply very good input at last you know what you talking about it all the others comment also make me laugh i do run platform ,never had any problem with power so far for the last 2 years has we say if you have your stop loss in place all will take care of them self

on another happy note love too visit your set up seem very interesting .

cheers and thanks again

monitors.jpg

That is impressive setup. Much better than boys at Ameritrade have .