PLEASE computer for forex help

I am coming to Cebu next week for 7 months or so and need guidance and pointing in the right direction because I need to set up a few computers for forex trading.It is nothing particularly complicated,I would just be monitoring charts from my appartment and I would like someone to tell me about internet connections in the Phillipines,the need for your apartment to have a backup generator,power converters etc.

If someone could give me a bit of a hand,I'd be most grateful and would buy them a drink/a meal/give em a bit of money ie whatever they felt was appropriate.

David_LivinginTalisay

I am coming to Cebu next week for 7 months or so and need guidance and pointing in the right direction because I need to set up a few computers for forex trading.It is nothing particularly complicated,I would just be monitoring charts from my appartment and I would like someone to tell me about internet connections in the Phillipines,the need for your apartment to have a backup generator,power converters etc.

If someone could give me a bit of a hand,I'd be most grateful and would buy them a drink/a meal/give em a bit of money ie whatever they felt was appropriate.

You say "My Apartment" as if you already have one, but don't say the name of the Apartments?

Some new Condo Units do have Back-up Generator, and ready Wired for Internet?

So in terms of protection from Power Outages, all you need is UPS that will keep PC powered until the Generator comes on line. The UPS will also protect from Over-Voltage (or under-Voltage).

You will have to sign up to whatever ISP has connected to those Apartments. You might like to consider to signing up to another via WiMax in case of outage from the wired ISP?

As you said, there is nothing to running a Forex Trading Station on a PC

I opened a FOREX Trading Account (Practice/DEMO account only) with

windsor_logo_en.gif

What FORXEX Trading 'Platform' will you be using?

I just downloaded the MT4 Desktop

mt4_desktop.png

Windsor MT4 Desktop

The Windsor MT4 Desktop is designed for the active trader seeking comprehensive news and analytics, real-time charts and live quotes. It also contains packed suite of management tools, expert advisors and indicators.

Features & Requirements

• Full account management
  • Market Watch Window
  • Navigator Window
  • Analysis & Charting tools
  • Automated trading (Expert Advisor)
  • News feed & alerts
  • Account history report center
  • Order execution capabilities
  • Requirements: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7 Operating System

Download Undock-64.png .EXE Folder-Downloads2.png

.ZIP

mt4_multiterminal.png

Windsor MT4 Multi-Terminal

The Windsor MT4 Multi-Terminal is designed for money managers or traders holding several online trading accounts and want to have full control with a single click and from a single platform.

Features & Requirements

• Multiple trading account management
  • Multiple order types
  • Accounts history report center
  • News feed & alerts
  • Multiple order execution capabilities
  • Requirements: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7 Operating System

I am willing to give advice, help with Installation, etc, for a Fee (I could do with some extra cash for Christmas)

So in terms of protection from Power Outages, all you need is UPS that will keep PC powered until the Generator comes on line. The UPS will also protect from Over-Voltage (or under-Voltage).

Are you sure about this. I have an apc es 500 and it only quotes regulated cuurent for battery backup, which i reckon means no surge protection.

maybe im wrong. i dont understand why they say dont install after a surge protector. i did anyway

You may also want to consider your trading platform/broker. If your connection goes down, you want to make sure you will be stopped out. So you want the ability to run stops on your broker's server and not on your PC. I'm pretty sure MT4 only accommodates stops on your PC.

David_LivinginTalisay

<p>

Are you sure about this. I have an apc es 500 and it only quotes regulated current for battery backup, which i reckon means no surge protection.

maybe im wrong. i dont understand why they say dont install after a surge protector. i did anyway

Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) - Some units combine surge protection with a continuous UPS. The basic design of a continuous UPS is to convert AC power to DC power and store it on a battery. The UPS then converts the battery's DC power back to AC power and runs it to the AC outlets for your electronics. If the power goes out, your computer will continue to run, feeding off the stored battery power. This will give you a few minutes to save your work and shut down your computer. The conversion process also gets rid of most of the line noise coming from the AC outlet. These units tend to cost $150 or more.

An ordinary UPS WILL give you a high level of protection, but you should still use a surge protector. A UPS will stop most surges from reaching your computer, but it will probably suffer severe damage itself. It's a good idea to use a basic surge protector, if just to save your UPS.

I have a PowerCom King UPS

As you can see from the Specifications for KIN-525A (mine is higher capacity model, but from that same Series of <strong>Powercom UPS) this gives Simulated Sine Wave output, AVR (Automatic Voltage regulation), and Surge/Spike protection, as well as Overload (within limits)

This has a Serial Port with Software to Monitor Input and Output Voltages as well as Battery Capacity. One can set the criteria for warnings, and arrange that it shuts the PC down Automatically in orderly manner, before the Battery gets drained too much.

I have wired in an extender Battery connector, so I can add a 2nd 12V Battery for extended operation. This also allows me charge the spare battery independently (with my Motorcycle Battery - <strong>Optimate III SP</strong> charger) to make sure it charged optimally, and can retain charge.

Product Specs:

KIN-525A

GENERAL INFORMATION

Model Type KING

Model Name KIN-525A

AC INPUT

AC Input Capacity on Battery 525VA

AC Input Voltage 100V or 110V/115V/120V or 220V/230V/240V, +/- 25%, Single phase

AC Input Frequency 50 or 60 Hz+/-5% (auto sensing)

AC Input Transfer N/A

AC OUTPUT

AC Output Voltage Simulated sine wave at line input, +/-5%

AC Output Frequency 50 or 60 Hz +/- 0.5%

AC Output Voltage Regulation AVR automatically increase output voltage 15% above input voltage if -9% to -25% of nominal. AVR decrease output voltage 13% below input voltage if <strong>+9% to +25% of nominal

AC Output Transfer 2/4 milliseconds, including detection time

PROTECTION

Protection Spike 80 Joules / 2ms

Protection Overload UPS automatic shutdown if overload exceeds 110% nominal at 60 sec and 130% at 3 sec

Protection Unit Fuse for overload & short circuit protection

Protection Short Protection UPS output cut off immediately or input fuse protection

BATTERY

Battery Type Sealed, Maintenance-free lead acid

Battery Typical 4 hours (to 90% of full capacity)

Battery Protection Automatic self-test & discharge protection, replace battery indicator

Battery Run Time 20 - 30 minutes

PHYSICAL

Physical Weight kgs Tower 6.2

Physical Weight lbs Tower 13.7

Physical Shipping Weight kgs 6.5

Physical Shipping Weight lbs 14.3

Physical Dimension mm Tower 97x320x135

Physical Dimension inch Tower N/A

INDICATOR

LED LED

ALARM

Alarm Battery Backup Slow beeping sound (about 0.47 Hz)

Alarm Battery Low Rapid beeping sound (about 1.82Hz)

Alarm Overload Continue beeping sound

CONFORMANCE

Conformance Safety cUL, TUV, CE, meet FCC

Conformance Surge Meet IEEE 587 standard

ENVIRONMENT

Environment Ambient 3,500 meters max. elevation, 0-95% humidity non-condensing, 0-40 deg c

Environment Audible</blockquote>

I also bought a cheap UPS from CDR King.

2790_4.jpg2790_2.jpg

This was lower price than the normal cost *buying a NEW APC UPS Battery

(* except when APC Dealer had promo @ Cebu 'Waterfront' Exhibition, with 50% off so I bought 2 for the price of 1!)

600VA

UPS 600VA Black

Php 1,480.00

Features

• Product Name: UPS 600VA

• Advanced PWM technology for inverter output

• Perfect automatic protection against extremely high or low voltages, overload, over-current, short circuit or low battery voltage.

• Advanced battery management system with automatic re-charging function.

• Special surge suppression output sockets.

• INPUT 140V-280V wide AVR function

I would rather this CDR King UPS blew on bad Surge, and protected my Large Screen LCD TV costing up to 20+ times' that of the UPS.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
David_LivinginTalisay

You may also want to consider your trading platform/broker. If your connection goes down, you want to make sure you will be stopped out. So you want the ability to run stops on your broker's server and not on your PC. I'm pretty sure MT4 only accommodates stops on your PC.

You don't start Live trading FOREX with Zero Experience (not if you are sensible at least).

You sign up to FREE Demo Accounts with several Brokers. and Test your Trading Srategy. as well as the platform. and your Broker.

I think I used OANDA the first time around for DEMO Account and I was practising a Trade GBPUSD pair.

I set up a Long Term Trend, then saw a short Term opportunity in the opposite direction, so I places another BUY and it wiped out the one I already placed.

I then learned how to set up Multiple Accounts or Sub Accounts, so I had one for GBP and another for USD. This seemed to work OK and on paper, I generated US$2,000 in one month after I had been practicing and refining and learning for over 4 months.

I never tried a LIve Account - it seemed SAFER putting my Money in a Rural Bank - 5 year Peso Time Deposit and getting 20%pa Tax Free.

Yes you can make more than that with FOREX Trading(but you can lose more than that also if you get it wrong!). Same with Stocks and Shares as well as Commodities.

We are not here to Discuss FOREX Trading, on this THREAD!

The OP wanted HELP setting up his PC's to Run Trading Station Platforms with a given Broker, such that it is reliable and resilient, protected against Power problems and ISP down times, I assume?

Yes you can make more than that with FOREX Trading(but you can lose more than that also if you get it wrong!). Same with Stocks and Shares as well as Commodities. We are not here to Discuss FOREX Trading, on this THREAD! The OP wanted HELP setting up his PC's to Run Trading Station Platforms with a given Broker, such that it is reliable and resilient, protected against Power problems and ISP down times, I assume?

What the....!! Who put you in charge of this thread!

I wasn't advising him on trading strategies; I was only suggesting he consider using a trading platform which will guarantee that he will be stopped out even if the power goes down or the internet goes down. What broker he uses is up to him.

Frankly I wouldn't go near Forex trading (live, that is).

A UPS is a good idea, but it isn't going to be any good if you lose your internet connection in the middle of a trade.

Edited by abw

internet is fairly slow, for instant trading is not a very good idea.

same for charts, they will be probably a (few) seconds delayed.....

also during power outages (even with back up generator) it is possible internet stops to.....(depends on the provider)

:ROFLMAO: please read this... regarding fast trading http://www.nytimes.c.../24trading.html

Edited by toshi

a

Thanks for the replies fellas ,as a complete computer moron and a Cebu internet virgin your knowledge is appreciated.

USMC-Retired

The slow internet plays an issue. However you should be able to get the trades fairly fast.

I have a 2Mb connection. My ping rate is 483 to NY city. I had my Dad check his ping rate on a his 4 Mb connection in Houston. 128MS. The difference between the two would be your delay. Additionally I am a wireless connection. So that adds to my ping rate. You can check yours go to speedtest.net and select a server in NY City.

As for connections. I would do this. You need a UPS. You will need this for you computer and DSL modem. Then if the power goes out you are still online. The phone system is separate from the power system. I would get a DSL Line and Smartbro line.

Thus you are covered in two ways. Smartbro during trading time US will operate at 2Mb which is plenty fast enough. I would get the same for DSL modem of 2mb. That will set you back about 60 USD a month. Then I would get a load balancing router. Ensuring that you are get the best transfer rate across both connections.

Lastly do not forget you will need two UPS one for the internet and one for the computer. I do not feel you will have any problem trading here. You just have to prepare properly.

miles-high

My test results from Makati: Down 5.13 Up 0.79 Ping NYC 231… FYI

They (PLDT) called me last Monday offering a faster connection but I guess I am OK at the momemnt...

This thread has been ruined by an extreme example of information overload. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

dump question, !!!!

..but if you don't know nothing about computers... (as you say)

wy would you need to set up a ''couple of computers'' for this forex stuff... ??

honestly, if you don't know computers, trading online would be the last thing you should do.... unless you like to see computer screens bringing up different spreads, trending charts advanced charting , how to read these charts, then buy, sell, reserve and shit like that....

but i tell you, this is major complicated stuff...,

surly some (forex) experts can help you here, but i suggest get your computer basics down first..

my (free) two cents...

Justin Kredible
I am willing to give advice, help with Installation, etc,

David -

You always put so much effort into your posts.

I will be heading out there next December, so may I proffer a most resounding...

THANKS!