Decision Has Been Made- Heading back

USMC-Retired

the.lone.gunman

The education system here is a joke. Since I'm always trying to figure out what is inside Philipino heads, I looked through some of my gf's sister's text books. She is in 1st year at Cebu University Banilad. I think that her 1st year courses are about equivalent to Canadian grade 8. I remember helping my kids with their homework back home and I think grade 8 is pretty close to the mark.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• USMC-Retired

• tomaw

• TheMatrix

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must admit that some days I ask myself, "what the hell was I thinking"? I also think that many of us do ask that, in the privacy of our on mind. Pride, macho or what ever may prevent us from admit

I know how Norseman feels because my priorities completely changed when my daughter was born. All of a sudden I had to start thinking about what was best for her instead of me.The most important found

i am sorry but you could be talking about cebu just as you seem to be trying to talk about the us.... Tim is way to young to kick back for the next 40 years and hope the government dont forget to send

USMC-Retired

I am not down on the Philippines I really enjoy my life here. However I can not earn an extra few hundred $ when I need it. We can chip and save and get things done. Just like this process to get the visa. I calculated costs to include airfare. It costs around 4,000 dollars. Fair unfair it is just the reality of getting things done. We may move there and say it is not for us and back we come. That is the advantage of waiting to get an IR1 or IR2a visa. She will have multiple entries and green card. So we can do as we please. Yet today as my current situation bears I feel the correct idea is to get this phase at least over with.

Life here is good and for people looking for change well here is the place. It is not about the negatives that may come with moving here. I can live just about anywhere. It is about opportunities.

Lastly where I grew up you can search the school district and the school. William P Clements Sugarland Texas. That school is ranked in the top 20 in the nation. So yes that free education is good. I was a C student scored on the old system 1275 Sat and 18 Act. The education is awesome where I am from.

Edited by Norseman
smokey

Did I say at any point that his decision was wrong? I wish you could learn to use the Selective Quote button so I could tell what part of my post you have such a problem with. One thing I was pointing out was that it is wrong to just assume that US public schools are better than Philippine public schools. When I was in Alabama the public school system there was ranked 49th in the US. So they fired the superintendent and hired a new one. His last job was the superintendent of the Mississippi school system. Where was MS on that pole? 50th. Nice huh? The schools there taught the 3 basics. Gangs, drugs, and teen sex. Just assuming your kids will get a better education in the US is a bit of a stretch.

and school here is all puppy dogs.. dont be fooled by the uniform and then what after school call center job selling viraga ... 10 % of the people beg borrow and steal go get out of here so they can raise their children ,,, and what if something happens to tim then his wife and child are stuck here? i have seen first hand the many many many college grads here and many cant spell as good as my high school drop out ass.. this place is for old farts on a pension and for guys who did not get to bop the cheer leader in high school

• Like 6
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

with the economy and everything else in mind

Texas is a pretty good place to be right now

so is North Dakota but i don't think you guys will want to put up with the winters

Edited by broden

I just love the way stats are flung out. Pick that out of a hat or do you actually have the research to back it up? I wonder how many Expats actually come here to live & set up a PERMANENT home give up vs those who come half hearted & rent to see 'how it goes' without much research or ties to hold them.

Sorry, no generally accepted scientifically confirmed statistical samples, just general knowledge - not only relative to the Philippines, but to most African and Asian countries. The point is: it is usually difficult to survive here, and the casualty rate is very high. How many people do you personally know that have resided here permanently for over 20 years? Please, lets' not create the impression as if life here is bliss - unless for a temporary period and while one is still in love or has sufficient financial reserves...

USMC-Retired

The biggest concern for me is my Wife. How will she handle the transition. How will she be living on the other side of the world. Where I am from there is not Filipino base community. There are Rednecks and well more Rednecks. We have cows and fields and the nearest store is 4 miles away. So that is of my biggest concern. Yet where I hang my final hat is yet to be determined.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

she should be a large concern of yours no matter where you ever set down

but she'll do great

• Like 1
For Real

and school here is all puppy dogs.. dont be fooled by the uniform and then what after school call center job selling viraga ... 10 % of the people beg borrow and steal go get out of here so they can raise their children ,,, and what if something happens to tim then his wife and child are stuck here? i have seen first hand the many many many college grads here and many cant spell as good as my high school drop out ass.. this place is for old farts on a pension and for guys who did not get to bop the cheer leader in high school

Oh Jesus H that's funny Smokey. I'm worried that i don't feel insecure after not getting my chance with Betty Sue

smokey

Oh Jesus H that's funny Smokey. I'm worried that i don't feel insecure after not getting my chance with Betty Sue

dude for 2000 peso you can get plently of girls to dress up like a cheer leader the only thing missing will be the blond hair and the supersized front end

...nearest store is 4 miles away...

You can open a Sari Sari.....

Mr. Mike

IMO Norseman, any decisions you make for the continued welfare of your family, are to be applauded. Good luck!

smokey

I think tim and fanboat will get together and open a chic a lik fast food place and they will serve beer and tim will the the cooking and his wife will be the server and fanboat will be in charge of tasting each beer for quality .............

• Like 1

I must admit that some days I ask myself, "what the hell was I thinking"? I also think that many of us do ask that, in the privacy of our on mind. Pride, macho or what ever may prevent us from admitting it verbally to others. Human nature is understandable, no one likes to admit they made a very bad decision, specially late in their life. Some of us will make do and some will go back to where ever they came from. Some have a choice. I guess what baffles me is the ones that come here with a savings and no monthly income and think that they will live here for the rest of their life. Though life here can be simple and inexpensive, most foreigners do not wish for that lifestyle. Nor do I.

Only this week I talked with 2 foreigners that, in their words are backed into a corner. Their savings is gone and they have no monthly or very little income to depend on. They are lucky that they have a home thats paid for, but still there are the monthly expenses. Selling is an option but then one has to wait for a buyer........mean time life goes on and electric bills must be paid and rice bought. No exit plan......no plan B, C or D.

I see that many of you complain about your eclectic bills. I do not understand that. Mine runs about 3000 to 3300Php a month ($75.00usd). Now 3 years ago in the states mine (living by myself) ran $90.00 to $110.00 a month and in the winter (5 months) add another $200.00 at least per month for heat. My internet is 995Php ($22.00) a month verses $50.00 in the states. Satellite TV is 300Php ($7.50) month verses $49.00 in the states, granted I would have more channels in the states, but do I really need them? Have no need for a land line telephone, loads at the most $10.00 a month including calling the states once or twice a month verses $35.00 plus long distance in the states. Water here $4.00 a month verses $22.00 or more in the states. Transportation, $40.00 a month here.......god knows in the states, even if vehicle paid for, insurance, tags, gas and upkeep....conservative......$200.00 a month. Groceries, about the same as I would spend in the states......I like to eat my western meals. steak, ribs, hamburgers, fried potatoes, salads, bacon, eggs, pancakes, cheese omelets, chili, pork tenderloin, fried chicken and on and on. I do not sacrifice my eating habits. About $300.00 a month. Throw in another $50.00 for 3 cases of RC, 2 cases of beer and 3 long necks of Tanduay a month. I do not have rent (house paid for) so about $500.00 a month and I do not want for much.

But if I had children and that education card I would also consider moving back if for no other reason. They don't call it the land of opportunity for nothing!

• Like 8

Sorry, no generally accepted scientifically confirmed statistical samples, just general knowledge - not only relative to the Philippines, but to most African and Asian countries. The point is: it is usually difficult to survive here, and the casualty rate is very high. How many people do you personally know that have resided here permanently for over 20 years? Please, lets' not create the impression as if life here is bliss - unless for a temporary period and while one is still in love or has sufficient financial reserves...

Not counting online acquaintances, expats I personally know, well I know of a few long timers (10 - 20yrs) here who have no plans to leave EVER. I know of none that have left because they couldn't hack it but know of a few who have returned for a variety of reasons, mainly changing circumstances. i would put it at maybe 20% leaving with half of those within the 1st 2-3 yrs.

smokey

Not counting online acquaintances, expats I personally know, well I know of a few long timers (10 - 20yrs) here who have no plans to leave EVER. I know of none that have left because they couldn't hack it but know of a few who have returned for a variety of reasons, mainly changing circumstances. i would put it at maybe 20% leaving with half of those within the 1st 2-3 yrs.

NO PLANS .. . but have left for a variety of reasons?? shit happens then you act... everyone has an idea on what and where they want to be and what and how much they are willing to put up with to acheive their plan ... tim wants to make more money $$$$$ green ,,, dollars... peso ,,, piso.... and to do that HE thinks he needs to move somewhere else very simple so is his leaving a (((( Plan )))) or(((( a leaving for a variety of reasons )))

• Like 1