Decision Has Been Made- Heading back

USMC-Retired

smokey

I'm sure you know the COL in the US has changed since you left and have been looking at the prices there. Still, you may not find this statement quite as correct as you envision.

Yes, it's called trying to avoid prosecution but I'm sure that doesn't apply to you.

Well, what state are you going too? I got stationed in Montgomery Alabama and it was quickly apparent from the low property tax and other indicators the public schools were worth less than free. So, like most others I paid about $700/month, 12 months a year for my daughters to attend a so so Baptist Church school. When they returned after 2 years to the same school system they'd left in Ohio they had some catching up to do. Most of the southern states public schools suck because of the high number of private school students and to improve them they need money from Property taxes. However, you can't get people to vote for tax increases to help the public schools because people aren't going to pay additionel property taxes for schools when they are already paying a bunch of $$$ for private schools. Public schools in the US are free up to HS graduation but paid mostly through property taxes. So, of course, they aren't really free. Just having high property tax doesn't mean the schools are good though. Many states have decent public schools. But if you send your kids to private schools, you still have to pay the property tax for schools.

Tim, I'm not trying to talk you out of this. Of course you have more time to think but it sounds like you're made up. Failing to plan is planning to fail and it sounds like you've been planning. I pray you are making the right choice and will be happy with it.

i am sorry but you could be talking about cebu just as you seem to be trying to talk about the us.... Tim is way to young to kick back for the next 40 years and hope the government dont forget to send his $$ as a person who has sent many to private school here i will tell you they are nothing to jump up and down about .. you can have all the paper you want from school but its not worth more then wall deco . in this country why would tim want his child to face this bull 20 years from now.. one of our daughters worked her ??? off to finish nursing then 2 years of FREE or we pay work and now she is raking in the big bucks 300p a day before taxes ... i think tim is doing the right thing for his child and not just thinking of himself.. the philippines offers 00000000000000000000000 OPPORTUNITY

• Like 8
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• USMC-Retired

• tomaw

• TheMatrix

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must admit that some days I ask myself, "what the hell was I thinking"? I also think that many of us do ask that, in the privacy of our on mind. Pride, macho or what ever may prevent us from admit

I know how Norseman feels because my priorities completely changed when my daughter was born. All of a sudden I had to start thinking about what was best for her instead of me.The most important found

i am sorry but you could be talking about cebu just as you seem to be trying to talk about the us.... Tim is way to young to kick back for the next 40 years and hope the government dont forget to send

wow and I thought you were a lifer here lol but as you,ve stated all the reasons no one can blame ya .Im going back as well in due coarse i,m not ready to retire just yet .as ive got hip replacements if anything goes wrong ive had it here ,I couldnt afford the hospital bill an as ive got a pre condition can,t get affordable cover so thats my main reason to return.

SkyMan

i am sorry but you could be talking about cebu just as you seem to be trying to talk about the us.... Tim is way to young to kick back for the next 40 years and hope the government dont forget to send his $$ as a person who has sent many to private school here i will tell you they are nothing to jump up and down about .. you can have all the paper you want from school but its not worth more then wall deco . in this country why would tim want his child to face this bull 20 years from now.. one of our daughters worked her ??? off to finish nursing then 2 years of FREE or we pay work and now she is raking in the big bucks 300p a day before taxes ... i think tim is doing the right thing for his child and not just thinking of himself.. the philippines offers 00000000000000000000000 OPPORTUNITY

Did I say at any point that his decision was wrong? I wish you could learn to use the Selective Quote button so I could tell what part of my post you have such a problem with. One thing I was pointing out was that it is wrong to just assume that US public schools are better than Philippine public schools. When I was in Alabama the public school system there was ranked 49th in the US. So they fired the superintendent and hired a new one. His last job was the superintendent of the Mississippi school system. Where was MS on that pole? 50th. Nice huh? The schools there taught the 3 basics. Gangs, drugs, and teen sex. Just assuming your kids will get a better education in the US is a bit of a stretch.
  • Like 1
Stranded Shipscook

.. one of our daughters worked her ??? off to finish nursing then 2 years of FREE or we pay work and now she is raking in the big bucks 300p a day before taxes ... i think tim is doing the right thing for his child and not just thinking of himself.. the philippines offers 00000000000000000000000 OPPORTUNITY

Thats a real scandal, the nursing sector ! A welder in a shipyard makes more than a nurse. as well as anybody in the yard here.

Friend of mien asked if i could place his daughter in the shipyards clinic. 'Sorry" sir, but we have plenty of "volunteers"

working for free.

And why- just to get one of those hot OFW jobs. And i guess, in 10 years they run aout of nurse jobs as well. Just like the Seaman Trend, where only 10 to 15 % graduated ( from University!) get a job at all. The rest tries to apply as waiters on cruise ships. No choice. However, regular HRM guys get the preference of course.

Edited by CATMAN
afmayer
Just assuming your kids will get a better education in the US is a bit of a stretch.

"Better" is debatable ... accreditation is not. A Philippines high school/college diploma doesn't have the same value (in the USA) as a USA high school/college diploma from any USA school. It seems Tim is most interested in his children's education coupled with their future employment opportunities (outside of Philippines). If that is indeed the case, his reasoning is sound.

I can also relate (and agree) with Tim's other reasons.

Good Luck Tim ...

• Like 4

wow and I thought you were a lifer here

There are very few "lifers" here; about 85% of expats chuck it and dismantle their tents at one point or another and return home. It is not easy to be here for life...

• Like 2

Do what you got to do Tim. I've known you since my day 2 here, back in Jan 2009.....and thanks for your assistance. I was hoping you would move down here so we could hang out again. Keep me posted and I will be here if you need me, thanks for your friendship. Rob and Lyn

Tim;

I feel you. As I posted earlier my wife and I got lucky that we were able to get her a visitor's visa. We have talked about going back to the States. Right now in your post you point out the rising costs and again I feel you. i just got our power bill and it was P2500. Thats nuts. But for me the real frustration is how the the powers that be are content to have things stay as is and not try to improve their home country. Again thats my main beef and it may make me leave. Right now no but you never know because just like Tiger said I thought of you as a lifer here just like Paul. All I can say is take your time keep us posted and good luck to you buddy.

There are very few "lifers" here; about 85% of expats chuck it and dismantle their tents at one point or another and return home. It is not easy to be here for life...

I just love the way stats are flung out. Pick that out of a hat or do you actually have the research to back it up? I wonder how many Expats actually come here to live & set up a PERMANENT home give up vs those who come half hearted & rent to see 'how it goes' without much research or ties to hold them.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

do what you think is right to take care of your family

that's all that matters

Tim,

I have always enjoyed reading your informative posts. Sorry to hear you are leaving, but I do understand. I don't doubt a lot of thought went into this. Every day of my life I struggle with the decision of where to be when my daughter is ready to start school. I don't want to limit her opportunities, but then again if she is in an environment where morality is emphasized versus one where negative influences from peers and politically correct nonsense is law, that to me is a big trade off for the loss of some of the prestige factor in having a US diploma. Best of luck to you and your family.

• Like 2
For Real

I just love the way stats are flung out. Pick that out of a hat or do you actually have the research to back it up? I wonder how many Expats actually come here to live & set up a PERMANENT home give up vs those who come half hearted & rent to see 'how it goes' without much research or ties to hold them.

I don't know if the stats are correct. I really don't care...It turns out I made a big mistake business wise locating myself in Cebu, correcting the error and bringing up a young family means getting out of Cebu. I will probably come back later

• Like 1
For Real

I don't know if the stats are correct. I really don't care...It turns out I made a big mistake business wise locating myself in Cebu, correcting the error and bringing up a young family means getting out of Cebu. I came to try it out, it didn't work but i will will probably come back later when i retire.

Good luck Tim...i understand your situation

the.lone.gunman

Tim;

I feel you. As I posted earlier my wife and I got lucky that we were able to get her a visitor's visa. We have talked about going back to the States. Right now in your post you point out the rising costs and again I feel you. i just got our power bill and it was P2500. Thats nuts. But for me the real frustration is how the the powers that be are content to have things stay as is and not try to improve their home country. Again thats my main beef and it may make me leave. Right now no but you never know because just like Tiger said I thought of you as a lifer here just like Paul. All I can say is take your time keep us posted and good luck to you buddy.

My power bill here is always about 5000p per month. It's more than I pay in Canada.

Tim,

I agree with Uzi - 2013 is a ways off - planning for departure now makes sense so things will be as smooth as possible with the day comes - but things may change in between - others have brought it up too and I am sure you are aware of it - but the cost of living is going up in the States as well. If you live North or East you will have to contend with heat as well as other electrical needs - if you live South or West there will be added A/C costs -

You are Young(er) and should be able to find some work - maybe get an extra pension and come back here for a nice long retirement....

But on the Selfish side - you aren't leaving so soon that I can't catch you in the Football Pool -

Good Luck Tim,

• Like 1