Veteran Service Officer

charlest27
Here is an Update on Don Melendy the VFW Service officer contact info E-mail is the best way like the letter says.
Service Officer
Written by Donald Melendy
New Contact Numbers - 

We have been experiencing on-going issues with our previous and current landline provider.  Hopefully, the issues with the current provider have been resolved.  A new cellphone was purchased and two lines added.  This cellphone remains in the office and is only answered during business hours.  We don't not answer texts.  The most reliable means of contact remains the email address at the bottom of this page.

Landline:     045-321-0790

Smart:       0921-647-0470

Globe:       0927-802-1077

A Reminder -

When you move or change your phone number it is very important to keep the VA informed of these changes.  Not doing so could have adverse effects on your compensation.  When you submit a change of address or contact number, please insure that both the OPC and the Regional Office are advised.  Contacting one does not mean they will both be notified.

Fully Developed Claims - 

The VA is encouraging Veterans to submit their claims using the Fully Developed Claim process to insure faster turn around on claims.  All claims for compensation may be submitted as a fully developed claim.  Form used for these claims are indicated by the form number followed by "ez".  The VA has also advised that they recommend the use of a service officer when submitting a Fully Developed Claim.

More information can be obtained HERE.

New Procedures for Individual Unemployability - 

The DVA has released FAST Letter 13 - 13, which explains the new procedures for processing claims for Individual Unemployability.  The major change is the requirement to identify at least one service connected disability that impacts on the Vet's ability to seek and maintain substantially gainful employment (work).  You are not limited to one disability and ONLY those listed disabilities will be examined in connection with determining IU.  If you fail to list a disability the DVA may send you a request asking for more information, thus slowing down the claim.

A request for IU may be submitted as a Fully Developed Claim by completing VA Form 21-526ez and Form 21-8940, then submitting both forms.

More information can be found HERE.

The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and VA Care - 

The ACA does not impact your VA treatment or any costs.  This is explained in detail at the VA website HERE.

Success Story - 

A Vet came in to apply for a Non-service-connected Pension (Improved Pension) in early September.  We filed a Fully Developed Claim (FDC) for a pension.  Within three weeks and just before the Vet's 65th birthday the pension was approved effective on his birthday.  An FDC from start to finish in 3 weeks and a favorable grant.  I am sure it was a nice birthday for the Vet.

REMINDER:  The Embassy and US offices are closed on US and Filipino holidays.

Please send any questions or suggestions to the email address below:

[email protected]

Yours in Comradeship,

Donald Melendy

Every day is Veterans Day in our office.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpt1947

• NOSOCALPINOY

• charlest27

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Colemamlee:   VA Manila processes claims faster than just about any other RO in the VA system.   In my opinion, they also are a lot less stingy about awarding the proper amount of disability ratin

we have new information from mpt1047   so i am editing this first post with the new info    

pinned-done   better than making it sticky

charlest27

Wow, the previous post is over a year old 24 November 2012 - 11:58 AM! Hope I can get some info on here! 

I haven't tried that ph #  045 892 2407 in a while, but I do have a cellphone of 0929 725 4465 Let me know if it still works! 

I too eventually have to contact Don Melendy or his office to make an appointment to see him and get my claim filed for an adjustment, an old one reopened for reconsideration and a new claim started!

I need help or hints what the process is or what documents I will need to have before making an appointment! Any help will be appreciated! I know gathering all the required documents isn't easy, but I hope my efforts will be worth it in the end since I only have a 20% rating at the moment!

I just filed my first FDC claim 30 Sept. you need to file an FDC claim you need to get all your medical records for your claim from your Doctors or STR. All tests done also if that applies to you calim. File your claim on e benifits you can upload all info in to there you need to scan it useing pdf unlocked file must be under 5 MB to upload it to e benifits. You can break up files if need be but i put condition file 1 , file 2 and so on. You will more then likely have a C&P in Manila. Where the doc will do a BDQ form or you could download it and have your doc do one but you will pay. I like the way the VA uploaded all my C&P exams in to my health Vet. I can see them all i like that. I live in Close to Toledo city in Cebu. but i can meet you and we can talk in person no problem . For more info about the OPC in Manila i did some reports on it.

• 4 months later...
thailandphil

I know of a number of vets who has that unimployability rating. If my memory serves me I think it can go up as high as 30%. There is a few drawbacks to it.

1 You can never work. If you do you run risk of them taking back some of your benefits tied to 100%

2 You can be called in any time for reevaluation.

Talk to your service officer and see best way to go. What you really want to go for is 100% P&T (Permit and Total) This means your file will be closed and you will never be called up for reevaluation or exams.

Another thing to ask VSO is if you do get to 100% via unimployability or whatever see if it pays back to time of your first claim date. With VA math the difference could be great. Also take your time and find out benefits due to you when you do reach 100%. There is a bunch of them. The VA puts out a list of extra benefits so just look on net.

As you know the VA won’t tell you nothing you haft to drag it out of them. So our best bet is to help eachother. Good Luck Bro

• 10 months later...
charlesh

Are there other vet orgs there like DAV or Amvets?

• 2 weeks later...
mpt1947

Are there other vet orgs there like DAV or Amvets?

Hello, 

Here in Cebu we have the VFW - Post 12130

In Tacloban Leyte there is an Am Legion Post 63

In Subic there is VFW Post 11447 

Angeles City  there is VFW Post 2485

Baguio City VFW Post 124

La Union VFW Post 9892

In Angeles City there is a DAV, VVA, and Am Legion Post

I am not sure about other Am Legion Posts listed - I am pretty sure the DAV and VVA are the only ones in the Philippines.

• Like 1
mpt1947

There is this in Clark if it helps

http://www2.mozcom.com/~rao_cabr/

Right - there are RAO's in most Cities of any size - we have one in Cebu City.

Requirement for Membership - must be a Military Retiree and/or 100% Service Connected.

NOSOCALPINOY

Right - there are RAO's in most Cities of any size - we have one in Cebu City.

Requirement for Membership - must be a Military Retiree and/or 100% Service Connected.

Who knows of all the available VSOs in the Philippines? It has has been taking me a

long time in gathering of all of military history and medical records, which is still ongoing. 

I eventually will be in need of assistance from a VSO and if not, I'll do it alone. I live near the Manila area.

colemanlee

I eventually will be in need of assistance from a VSO and if not, I'll do it alone. I live near the Manila area.

Art wouldn't be easier while your in the States?

TDCNINJA

Colemamlee:

VA Manila processes claims faster than just about any other RO in the VA system.

In my opinion, they also are a lot less stingy about awarding the proper amount of disability rating, if warranted.

• Like 2
colemanlee

VA Manila processes claims faster than just about any other RO in the VA system.

I had no idea of that...thanks, havent use the VA since Ive been here just because its a pain to travel there and Im afraid if I do Ill be required to go to Manila every six months...btw Im 90%

• Like 1
TDCNINJA

Coleman, when I lived in Tacloban and Palo, and also Bohol, I flew to my VA appointments in Manila, stayed in a hotel and the VA covers it all plus even a modest amount for meals.

VA travel pay.

• Like 1
TDCNINJA

Coleman: I'm rated at 90%, too, but because I don't work and play well with others, I'm rated unemployable so I get paid at the 100% rate as well as being P & T with no future exams scheduled.

If nothing else, it's nice to be able to get my meds for free and sent to my via Air21.

• Like 1
NOSOCALPINOY

Art wouldn't be easier while your in the States?

I tried, the VA dingalings here in N. Calif said 9 months to 18 months,

they told me to do my claims in the Philippines where I reside! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
mpt1947

Who knows of all the available VSOs in the Philippines? It has has been taking me a

long time in gathering of all of military history and medical records, which is still ongoing. 

As far as I know there are two VA Accredited Veteran Service Officers in the Philippines.  One is from the American Legion the other from the VFW - you DO NOT need to be a member of either Service Organization or any service organization in order to receive help from any Service Officer.

In addition to the Accredited Service Officers (Can view your records file claims on your behalf) each Post has Service Officers that may offer different levels of Support