Veteran Service Officer

we have new information from mpt1047

so i am editing this first post with the new info

We have a new DSO/VSO to work issues through the VA.

Like the previous DSO, you don't need to be a member of the VFW, but your Power of Attorney must be with them.

The new DSO is Don Melendy. He is still in the process of moving into his office at the VA and therefor can be reached at the Following phone number in Angeles City 045-892-2407.

He has two Email Addresses

Don Melendy <[email protected]> OR

Don Melendy <[email protected]>

He hasn't been assigned a VA Phone Number or Email yet - I will update when I get that information.

I got this update from John Gilbert as I have indicated below

John H. Gilbert, Ed.D.

1SG, USA (Ret)

Commander, VFW Post 2485

Chairman, Clark Veterans Cemetery

Edited by broden
  • Like 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpt1947

• NOSOCALPINOY

• broden

• charlest27

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Colemamlee:   VA Manila processes claims faster than just about any other RO in the VA system.   In my opinion, they also are a lot less stingy about awarding the proper amount of disability ratin

we have new information from mpt1047   so i am editing this first post with the new info    

pinned-done   better than making it sticky

• Admin (Retired)
broden

pinned-done

better than making it sticky

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I've been looking for a vet rep for quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...
mpt1947

I wanted to provide an update to this - After fighting the Good Fight as the only DSO in the Philippines Peter Scalzo is pulling the pin - he suffers from multiple SC Ailments and disabilities himself and the VA will not address his issues, while he serves us.

May 4th will be Pete's last day - I wish him well and thank him for his guidance and support over the course of the last 9 months.

I will miss him.

At this time I don't know what plans, if any, the VFW or other Service Organizations have regarding getting a DSO/VSO in the Philippines - I will be looking for someone for myself and will pass along any information as I get it.

Good Luck to us all

• Like 1
Headshot

Thanks for the update Mike.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

mpt1947 sent me this

This message is pinned - but the information has changed - I posted a comment today regarding Pete - he is retiring effective May 4th - as far as I know the Philippines will no longer have a Veteran Service Officer from any Service Organization - I am in the process of trying to clarify this information now.

Thanks,

For those of you who are in need of help with Claims from the VA, the The VFW has a Veteran's Service Officer available.

Your Power of Attorney needs to be with the VFW, but you do not need to be a member or active in the VFW to make use of his expertise.

Contact (Email Only)

Peter Scalzo

pi[email protected]

• 3 months later...
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

new info in opening post of this thread

cebubird

That's great to hear. Since we are now going to have a VFW here in Cebu, I'm sure it will be a benefit for us. I know I have an issue I could use somw help with, and my representation is in Florida, and I doubt they have much interest in my claim. I am currently at a cumulative 220%-rated at a 90 on their scale, and I think my percentage is 93. Seems like they are trying their best to keep me from the 100% level.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

That's great to hear. Since we are now going to have a VFW here in Cebu, I'm sure it will be a benefit for us. I know I have an issue I could use somw help with, and my representation is in Florida, and I doubt they have much interest in my claim. I am currently at a cumulative 220%-rated at a 90 on their scale, and I think my percentage is 93. Seems like they are trying their best to keep me from the 100% level.

I was going to ask that question if the VSO would be making a visit - I have tried on a number of occasions to contact him but to no avail (OMG I am talking like a Filipino :cool: )

Have you submitted a Claim for Unemployability? I am at like 93.77 the last thing the previous VSO submitted on my behalf was a Unemployability Claim -

Who is your POA? My is the VFW - but I am not a member of that group - I do belong to VVA and Life Member of DAV.

If you don't have your POA with the VFW you can still submit a claim - either go to Manila and do it in person, or do it online via eBenefits

Semper Fi

• Like 1
cebubird

There will be an organizationalmeeting for the Cebu VFW post on Oct 8.

I believe Alex told me we would also have someone here functioning as a VSO.

• 1 month later...
JSL-USMC

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

we have new information from mpt1047

so i am editing this first post with the new info

We have a new DSO/VSO to work issues through the VA.

Like the previous DSO, you don't need to be a member of the VFW, but your Power of Attorney must be with them.

The new DSO is Don Melendy. He is still in the process of moving into his office at the VA and therefor can be reached at the Following phone number in Angeles City 045-892-2407.

He has two Email Addresses

Don Melendy <[email protected]> OR

Don Melendy <[email protected]>

He hasn't been assigned a VA Phone Number or Email yet - I will update when I get that information.

I got this update from John Gilbert as I have indicated below

John H. Gilbert, Ed.D.

1SG, USA (Ret)

Commander, VFW Post 2485

Chairman, Clark Veterans Cemetery

Is this info still current. I see that it was posted one year ago

[

• 2 weeks later...

To JSL1934

Broden updated a Post I first made in November of 2011, regarding the Previous VSO - even though the First Post indicates November 2011, it is actually from about June or maybe even July of 2012 - but I also have additional information

Don Melendy is recognized by the VARO in Manila as being a local Representative, but not a National Representative. There are a number of tests that Don needs to take before he will receive full National Recognition as a VA VSO - so far the VARO has refused to offer these courses and tests to him.

What that means for us is that if you are like me and have a Claim that was initiated at another VAMC or VARO then Don cannot access your information and advise you. However, if you originated your claim in the Philippines you are good to go.

Hope this helps

From what I understand the VSO at local Posts cannot intercede on your behalf with the VA, however they can assist in preparing the paper work.

When I re-enrolled at the VA in Manila, I was 20% SC - Diabetes/Agent Orange related. 14 months later I was at 100%. When I got to the Clinic I was asked by the VARO Receptionist if i wanted more money - I was at $250/Month - Duh - yeah. She gave me a Claim forum and I wrote down just about anything I could think of - I went in to see the medical staff and while they were updating my files they too reminded me to file claims - reminding me that the Manila VA will only see people who are service connected and then will only address the service connected issues. When I got done with the medical staff, I thought of a couple of other things to write down. And then my wife suggested ED issues - that went down too.

After I got to 60% I met with the VSO and he pointed out a few things, submitted a claim for Ischemia Heart Disease. I went to 90% and unbeknown to me the VSO had also submitted a claim for Unemployability - and that put be over the top.

You said you are at 93% Combined - do you know if you have any Bi-laterial issues, and that you are using the additional 10% they give you on that? For example, I have atherosclerosis in both legs at 40% and Diabetic Neuropathy 10% lower, and 20% upper, on both sides of my body - since I have the disabilities on both sides of the body, I am awarded another 10%

In September the VA increased my Diabetes from 20% to 60% and that put me to about 96% Combined and thus 100%

I am going to attach a Calculator I use to determine my Combined % - if you have any more questions you can PM me here.

Mike

Hutsky-Star3.xls

Edited by mpt1947
  • 1 year later...
charlest27

Does anybody have any updates on VSO here in the philippines I know Don Melendy is one but i tried to call the number 045-892-2407 it did not work for me. Any one have an updated number for him or any VSO in the Philippines. My FDC claim was filed in Manila so no problem there.

Thank You for your help.

Charles

NOSOCALPINOY

Wow, the previous post is over a year old 24 November 2012 - 11:58 AM! Hope I can get some info on here! 

I haven't tried that ph #  045 892 2407 in a while, but I do have a cellphone of 0929 725 4465 Let me know if it still works! 

I too eventually have to contact Don Melendy or his office to make an appointment to see him and get my claim filed for an adjustment, an old one reopened for reconsideration and a new claim started!

I need help or hints what the process is or what documents I will need to have before making an appointment! Any help will be appreciated! I know gathering all the required documents isn't easy, but I hope my efforts will be worth it in the end since I only have a 20% rating at the moment!   

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY