Meals on a Budget

fanboat

Frito pie, either homemade chili or stock up on cans when on sale...Chili, handfull of fritos, cheese. Quick and filling.

• Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fanboat

• goggleye

• Alfred E. Neuman

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

or mary ann

Now adays in the year of the Depression(USA)I find i need to make a dollar go along way.so i look for dishes i can make for $5.00(feeding 3 people)   Please share your favorite meals   Here is one

5$ = 216Php   Cebu budget: 200Php = 1/2kilo lechon 16Php = 2 cups rice

goggleye

i killed a deer the other day- the cartridge costs about 1 dollar- i have a lifetime license so no additional license cost. i processed it myself i think 4 dollars for the wrapping paper and meat for 35 meals ground deer is good for ground beef in any recipe - lots of meals for less than a dollar :-) I made a big batch of bulalo out of some of the bones. She is upset i left the liver for the coyotes lol

after thanksgiving dinner i took all turkey bones and boiled them and made a pot of broth that can make a big batch of soup - cost about free

• Like 2
Jess Bartone

A rose by any other name is still chicken and rice.

Yes but does it smell as sweet?

I am in great health, a little plump

If you are "vegetarian" and remain "plump" after 33 years then red flags should be flapping in your face. You may feel healthy but I am afraid you are a candidate for diabetes.

Totally nuts!

Well people who follow this flawed eating style need to eat lots of nuts. What set the great apes apart from lower primates was the fact that the apes ate fresh raw bloody meat at least once a month. What set humans apart from the great apes is that we ate meat on an almost daily basis. That is what gave a us a large brain and a unique metabolism. Vegetarians seem to possess lots of nuts but few protein driven brains.

the other day there was a guy on tv....he said fat from animals is good for the brain

The human brain evolved to what it is purely because of mixed meat/plant consumption, with the focus on the meat. I eat red meat as raw as possible - "blue" - to mimic my ancestors, whose eating habits gave me the brain I have today. It is foolish to run a petrol engine on kerosene. A near-perfect machine can be reduced to a pile of shit by using the wrong fuel mix.

For all humans, processed sugar can be the killer. Vegetarianism and plumpness are a recipe for disaster... at least get off the damn sugary cakes and sweets, or any illusions of great health will come crashing down at the first instance of hypo or hyper glycemia. Meat suppresses the insulin response.

• Like 1
goggleye

If you are "vegetarian" and remain "plump" after 33 years then red flags should be flapping in your face. You may feel healthy but I am afraid you are a candidate for diabetes.

I love animals - (right beside the mashed potatoes!) :mellow:

• Like 1
KeithAngel

Now adays in the year of the Depression(USA)I find i need to make a dollar go along way.so i look for dishes i can make for $5.00(feeding 3 people)

Please share your favorite meals

Here is one of mine

Spagetti...Onion....Garlic....Olive oil...Butter....Parmesan...Salt..Pepper

saute onions in pan covered in olive oil,add salt and pepper,when onions start to turn clear add garlic sliced thin.

boil water add salt add 1/2 kilo noddle of choice..cook about 8 min.

drain add 1/4 cube butter stir

plate noddles,add onion mix,sprinkle with olive oil,cover with parmesan.

Enjoy

My variation on this is to stir fry oinions in olive oil for a couple of minuits add cooked pasta and tuna or sardines chili sauce mushrooms or pepers if i have and let the bottom go crispy delious and very quick and cheap

USMC-Retired

My mom used make this..

Two OXO cubes (beef bullion)

Two Cups Water

Chopped onion fine

Two Potato Cubed

Chopped Cellery Fine

1/3 pound ground beef

Cook broth till potatoes are soft then add cooked ground beef. Simple soup yet very tastey

Edited by Norseman

Cheap and low carb is simply saute garlic and onions, then add the eggs on top in after a few minutes depending on how well done you like your onions. I do runny yolks to preserve the nutrients and flavors. Even using free range chickens in the US at 2.99/dz that is still 3,50 for a filling meal for 3 of healthy protein and fats.

BossHog

Breakfast of Champions: from the sari-sari (since there ain't no IHOP in this hemisphere:)

A small can of corned beef 22 pesos.

crumble up a small bag of pork rinds and spread on top for texture. 6 pesos

squirt one calamansi over everything. 1 peso. or just snatch one off an adjacent tree.

git the Vino Kulafu (essential here) 27 pesos and 3 Champion ciggies. 2.25 pesos.

This and 20 pesos jeepney fare to an adjacent village with a fiesta on should get you through the day.

Lather, rinse, and repeat as needed.

Now adays in the year of the Depression(USA)I find i need to make a dollar go along way.so i look for dishes i can make for $5.00(feeding 3 people)

Please share your favorite meals

Breakfast of Champions: from the sari-sari (since there ain't no IHOP in this hemisphere:)

A small can of corned beef 22 pesos.

crumble up a small bag of pork rinds and spread on top for texture. 6 pesos

squirt one calamansi over everything. 1 peso. or just snatch one off an adjacent tree.

git the Vino Kulafu (essential here) 27 pesos and 3 Champion ciggies. 2.25 pesos.

This and 20 pesos jeepney fare to an adjacent village with a fiesta on should get you through the day.

Lather, rinse, and repeat as needed.

The OP is in USA.? but I will attempt your recipe when next in PI.

Thanks

EAGLE

Edited by EAGLE
BossHog

oops.

my bad.

up the 20 peso jeepney fare to a 2000 dollar plane ticket.

goggleye

My mom used make this..

Two OXO cubes (beef bullion)

Two Cups Water

Chopped onion fine

Two Potato Cubed

Chopped Cellery Fine

1/3 pound ground beef

Cook broth till potatoes are soft then add cooked ground beef. Simple soup yet very tastey

My mom made the same thing :-)

The human brain evolved to what it is purely because of mixed meat/plant consumption, with the focus on the meat. I eat red meat as raw as possible - "blue" - to mimic my ancestors, whose eating habits gave me the brain I have today. It is foolish to run a petrol engine on kerosene. A near-perfect machine can be reduced to a pile of shit by using the wrong fuel mix. For all humans, processed sugar can be the killer. Vegetarianism and plumpness are a recipe for disaster... at least get off the damn sugary cakes and sweets, or any illusions of great health will come crashing down at the first instance of hypo or hyper glycemia. Meat suppresses the insulin response.

Everything in moderation is the way forward for me, with lot's of fruit and veg,.... I love red meat and a medium rare steak is one of my favourite meals, it may well be good for your brain but unfortunately it is not quite so good for other parts of the body if eaten on too regular a basis... Fish and Sea food is commonly accepted as ticking all the boxes as far as "brain food" is concerned without some of the nasty side effects that over indulgence of red meat can cause....

Jess Bartone

Everything in moderation is the way forward for me, with lot's of fruit and veg,.... I love red meat and a medium rare steak is one of my favourite meals, it may well be good for your brain but unfortunately it is not quite so good for other parts of the body if eaten on too regular a basis... Fish and Sea food is commonly accepted as ticking all the boxes as far as "brain food" is concerned without some of the nasty side effects that over indulgence of red meat can cause....

I agree, I do a rotation, fish, chicken, pork, fish, beef rare-blue, lamb, fish and anything else I reckon would look good on my dinner plate. Today is steak day, so I picked up some nice rump a few days ago to finish the ageing, just when it's on the edge of getting a whiff... excuse me, I'm off to cook.

• Like 1
streak03

There's a website that I take a look at every now and then www.instructables.com They have a bunch of recipes on there that are pretty simple.

• Like 1

Any mince dish is usually cheap to make. And if you use frozen mince rather than fresh then it is lot more cheaper.

Try this Shepherds(lamb)/Cottage Pie (beef) recipe from Delia Smith - this is really delicious. Obviously, you can cut corners depending on your budget ie no cheese/leek toppings, etc.

Ingredients

1 lb (450 g) minced lamb/beef

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 medium onions, peeled and chopped

3 oz (75 g) carrot, peeled and chopped very small

3 oz (75 g) swede, peeled and chopped very small

½ level teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

1 level tablespoon plain flour

10 fl oz (275 ml) fresh lamb stock

1 level tablespoon tomato purée

salt and freshly milled black pepper

For the topping:

2 oz (50 g) mature Cheddar, coarsely grated

2 medium leeks, cleaned and cut into ½ inch (1 cm) slices

2 lb (900 g) Desirée or King Edward potatoes

2 oz (50 g) butter

salt and freshly milled black pepper

Method

1. Gently heat the olive oil, fry the onions, add the chopped carrot and swede and cook for 5 minutes or so, then remove the vegetables and put them to one side.

2. Brown the meat, season with salt and pepper, then add the cooked vegetables, cinnamon, thyme and parsley.

3 Stir in the flour, which will soak up the juice, then gradually add the stock to the meat mixture until it is all incorporated. Stir in the tomato purée. Tturn the heat right down, let it cook gently for about 30 minutes.

4. Peel the potatoes, cut, boil until tender. drain off the water, add the butter and mash them to a purée (don't be tempted to add any milk here, because the mashed potato on top of the pie needs to be firm. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, 400°F (200°C).

5. When the meat is ready, spoon it into the baking dish and level it out with the back of the spoon. Spread the mashed potato evenly all over.

Sprinkle the leeks on top of the potato, scatter the cheese over the leeks and bake the whole thing on a high shelf of the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the top is crusty and golden.