Meals on a Budget

fanboat

Boil potatoes in their jacket. (skin)

Peel and mash with milk (and ? butter) (Can peel before boiling but waste Nutrient's in skin that way)

add chopped, finely diced, raw onion

stirr and replace on heat for a few minutes stirring to avoid burning the base.

Top with a fried egg, over easy, or three and enjoy.

Garnish with Parsley or? as you wish.

Add butter to the mix when the egg is eaten - costs more.

Tom

Edited by EAGLE
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fanboat

• goggleye

• Alfred E. Neuman

• broden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

or mary ann

Now adays in the year of the Depression(USA)I find i need to make a dollar go along way.so i look for dishes i can make for $5.00(feeding 3 people)   Please share your favorite meals   Here is one

5$ = 216Php   Cebu budget: 200Php = 1/2kilo lechon 16Php = 2 cups rice

Give the cook a break! Take the family out to eat breakfast. In the USA just head on down to your local chain hotel/motel where they offer free breakfast every day of the year. Some of the cheaper chains offer more high carb foods than the better chains. Country Inns and Suites has scrambled eggs and Sausage gravy and biscuits...my kids favorites! No tipping allowed. When you are finished eating tell the wife you are going to settle the bill, then walk straight to the front desk where you ask for a complimentary razor and toothbrush.

Enjoy!

No, I have not. Yes, my kids did while in college.

:highfive:

• Like 3

Try this for value & something the kids (even Pinoy) love.

Mince beef is cheap, so get enough to make Spag Bol for TWO meals. Meal one is with Spaghetti but on the 2nd day substitute with chips (Fries) or for a variation you can have jacket potatoes with the sauce poured over. Very tasty & filling.

Edited by UZI
Mr. Mike

Give the cook a break! Take the family out to eat breakfast. In the USA just head on down to your local chain hotel/motel where they offer free breakfast every day of the year. Some of the cheaper chains offer more high carb foods than the better chains. Country Inns and Suites has scrambled eggs and Sausage gravy and biscuits...my kids favorites! No tipping allowed. When you are finished eating tell the wife you are going to settle the bill, then walk straight to the front desk where you ask for a complimentary razor and toothbrush.

Enjoy!

No, I have not. Yes, my kids did while in college.

:)

:highfive::ROFLMAO: I love this one. During my years of business travel (HP was very generous with our expense accounts) I could stay in any hotel I chose as long as I didn't go overboard, like the Ritz Carlton. Many hotels offered "complementary" hot breakfasts to their guests, and rarely was I ever asked for proof that I was a guest.

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 1

:highfive::ROFLMAO: I love this one. During my years of business travel (HP was very generous with our expense accounts) I could stay in any hotel I chose as long as I didn't go overboard, like the Ritz Carlton. Many hotels offered "complementary" hot breakfasts to their guests but ,rarely was I ever asked for proof that I was a guest.

Well I think they got wise to that one because for quite a while now (outside US) hotels have issued a voucher for breakfast that you present at the restaurant before you get to the table.

Mr. Mike

Well I think they got wise to that one because for quite a while now (outside US) hotels have issued a voucher for breakfast that you present at the restaurant before you get to the table.

Thank mikewinkler for screwing it up for the rest of us! :highfive:

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 1
goggleye

cook a half kilo of dry beans - red or black ones are good

but any are fine - add garlic onions chili powder black pepper or any other spice you like use some smoked meat like ham or ham hock or smoked sausage cook a while longer then serve over rice - brown is best to me

hoppin john i think its called?

Edited by goggleye
  • Like 1
goggleye

Potato soup too - cook potatoes and some bacon and lots of chopped onions in as little water as possible - add some milk when the potatoes are done lots of black pepper serve with bread and butter rivels are good added too

mix flour and egg to a soft mix and hold in your hand and squeeze off bits with your thumb into the boiling soup like a chunk of noodle from my German grandma :-)

Edited by goggleye
  • Like 2
goggleye

chicken and noodles - boil a chicken and put some of the chicken in - save the rest for another meal - at the same time the chicken is cooking mix a couple of eggs into a mound of flour make noodle dough just eggs and flour - roll out thin and use lots of flour on the rolling surface cut in strips and let dry - add to the broth and chicken and cook till the noodles are done

make mashed potatoes and serve the noodles over the potatoes - a midwest us starch fest lol

• Like 1
goggleye

pound of hamburger tomatoes shredded cabbage, shredded onions and any other vegetables you want a can of chili beans if you have them cook till tender chili powder or garlic a batch of cornbread is good wiht it

• Like 1
Kodiak570

Army SOS Creamed Ground Beef

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cube beef bouillon
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper
  • 2 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions

1. Brown beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in flour, bouillon, salt and pepper. Saute all together for about 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed. Gradually stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce. Bring all to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot!

This was a staple when I would stay with my grandparents during school breaks during the summers.

Headshot

Potato soup too - cook potatoes and some bacon and lots of chopped onions in as little water as possible - add some milk when the potatoes are done lots of black pepper serve with bread and butter rivels are good added too

mix flour and egg to a soft mix and hold in your hand and squeeze off bits with your thumb into the boiling soup like a chunk of noodle from my German grandma :-)

One thing my mom would do was if there was any leftover corn (as in canned corn), she would throw that into the potato soup. She would also chop just a bit of celery into the soup. It would give the soup a much richer flavor. I like using just a dash of seasoning (parsley, rosemary, thyme, chives, dill, whatever you happen to have) to give the soup a little more flavor. What you described at the end was dumplings.

Edited by Headshot

Looks like we are collecting a bunch of cheap good eats here

I've been recording the recipes and will add a review next

French Toast

sliced bread....one beatened egg(per 2 slices bread)powder sugar...maple syurp.

cost... 30 cents x 3 =90 cents

notes; sweet good taste