Meals on a Budget

fanboat

Now adays in the year of the Depression(USA)I find i need to make a dollar go along way.so i look for dishes i can make for $5.00(feeding 3 people)

Please share your favorite meals

Here is one of mine

Spagetti...Onion....Garlic....Olive oil...Butter....Parmesan...Salt..Pepper

saute onions in pan covered in olive oil,add salt and pepper,when onions start to turn clear add garlic sliced thin.

boil water add salt add 1/2 kilo noddle of choice..cook about 8 min.

drain add 1/4 cube butter stir

plate noddles,add onion mix,sprinkle with olive oil,cover with parmesan.

Enjoy

• Like 3
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fanboat

• goggleye

• broden

• Alfred E. Neuman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

or mary ann

Now adays in the year of the Depression(USA)I find i need to make a dollar go along way.so i look for dishes i can make for $5.00(feeding 3 people)   Please share your favorite meals   Here is one

5$ = 216Php   Cebu budget: 200Php = 1/2kilo lechon 16Php = 2 cups rice

Alfred E. Neuman

5$ = 216Php

Cebu budget:

200Php = 1/2kilo lechon

16Php = 2 cups rice :thumbs_up:

• Like 3
JSL-USMC

One of my favorite meals is Chicken and rice. My mom cooked it a lot during WWII.

One chicken, cut up

Two cups rice...or more

Seasoning

Boil chicken in 6 cups of water. with onion, garlic, a little cumin. Boil until chicken is very tender. remove chicken from broth and let cool. Add water back to 6 cups. Add rice. Remove meat from bones and add it to rice. Cook til rice is done. Salt and pepper to taste. Feeds 4-6

You can reduce cost by stealing a chicken....not recommended.

If you want to be thrifty. Re boil the bones and scrap chicken with any clean veggie scraps and your favorite seasoning. Add some sili ( little Fil hot peppers) Great stock.

• Like 2
Alfred E. Neuman

One of my favorite meals is Chicken and rice. My mom cooked it a lot during WWII.

One chicken, cut up

Two cups rice...or more

Seasoning

Boil chicken in 6 cups of water. with onion, garlic, a little cumin. Boil until chicken is very tender. remove chicken from broth and let cool. Add water back to 6 cups. Add rice. Remove meat from bones and add it to rice. Cook til rice is done. Salt and pepper to taste. Feeds 4-6

You can reduce cost by stealing a chicken....not recommended.

If you want to be thrifty. Re boil the bones and scrap chicken with any clean veggie scraps and your favorite seasoning. Add some sili ( little Fil hot peppers) Great stock.

Chinese congee? lugaw for Pinoys

Chili chicken with rice or noodles

Ingredients: vegetable oil, boneless chicken, red chili peppers, green chili peppers, chopped garlic, white pepper, sugar, soy sauce and salt/or fish sauce

1) stir fry the chicken and chili peppers

2) add garlic

3) add white pepper, sugar and salt/or fish sauce

4) add soy sauce + little bit of water

5) serve with rice or noodles

• Admin (Retired)
broden

A rose by any other name is still chicken and rice.

and if you can't get a chicken just get some red beans

• Like 2
Alfred E. Neuman

and if you can't get a chicken just get some red beans

with ginger
  • Like 1
AlooGobi

Sprinkle chunks of pumpkin with cumin seed and olive oil and roast in oven till done and beginning to caramalize,remove and blitz

in a saucepan saute half an onion and a crushed garlic clove in a little oil until soft

reduce heat,add tbls of honey,stir to combine with onion garlic...dont burn

add roast pumpkin/cumin mix and stir to combine,add some chicken stock till u have desired cosistency,salt to taste

simmer on low for few mins,mayb 10

pull off heat and stir through some thick cream,

EAT...........Roast Pumpkin Soup with crusty bread

• Like 1
Lordblacknail

Per request, here is me talking about being a veggie. I have been a veggie for more than 33 years. Since I have no will power, I couldn't do it if it was for health or religion. Like most life altering decisions, this one came about because of a woman. I would never go back to eating meat, and I figure that being a veggie has added 15 years to my life. I am in great health, a little plump, but really really cute. I don’t find it difficult to be a veggie, because I have toast and coffee for breakfast, then lunch and I am good for the rest of the day. If I had to eat three meals a day, it would be more difficult.

Eating out anywhere is a chore, but especially here, since Filipinos put meat in most everything. And when I say meat, I mean any trace of meat; chicken stock, fish sauce, etc.

I became a veggie because I don't like to kill animals. I am ovo lacto, which is the most liberal you can be and still be a veggie. I eat no animal flesh of any kind. I do eat eggs and milk. Next step is vegan, no animal products whatsoever, then fruitarian, nothing that kills the plant, so no carrots, but all fruits, most nuts.

My favorite meals are biscuits and gravy, which we had this morning, pinto beans, taters and cornbread, and Indian food. My wife is an amazing cook, so I always have something tasty around. I am not a health nut, so I still eat anything I want, as long as it doesn't contain meat. We usually have chocolate cake, orange cranberry scones, and cookies of all types laying around. My wife makes killer pizza.

I am very lucky to be married to a woman who eats anything. She eats what I eat with dead stuff added at another meal of the day if she wants.

My recipe for spaghetti is this:

Pompodoro Tomatoes (The pear shaped ones)

Can Of Tomato Sauce

Onions

Garlic

Bell Pepper

Lots of Italian Seasoning

Oregano

Crushed Red Pepper

Vegetarian Spicy Italian Sausage, made by Marie

Good Quality Olive Oil

Serve with noodles without oil in the water, salt is ok.

Sprinkle liberally with cheese, serve with homemade bread and sliced avocado. (I know, I know, but try it. Avocado goes wonderfully with spaghetti and for that matter, pasta dishes of all types.

We usually make enough for ten or so meals, and throw the leftover sauce in the freezer.

If anybody wants to know more, just holler. And btw, I know you guys are readers, but I also have a few thousand cookbooks of all types if anybody wants them, eBooks of course.

• Like 2
Alfred E. Neuman
then fruitarian, nothing that kills the plant, so no carrots, but all fruits, most nuts
Totally nuts!
  • Like 3

Wow,heres another

Oatmeal.....Rasins....Brown Sugar

cost .45 cents x 3 +$1.35

notes: Filling....Taste Good.

Totally nuts!

the other day there was a guy on tv....he said fat from animals is good for the brain

• Like 3

Per request, here is me talking about being a veggie. I have been a veggie for more than 33 years. Since I have no will power, I couldn't do it if it was for health or religion. Like most life altering decisions, this one came about because of a woman. I would never go back to eating meat, and I figure that being a veggie has added 15 years to my life. I am in great health, a little plump, but really really cute. I don’t find it difficult to be a veggie, because I have toast and coffee for breakfast, then lunch and I am good for the rest of the day. If I had to eat three meals a day, it would be more difficult.

Eating out anywhere is a chore, but especially here, since Filipinos put meat in most everything. And when I say meat, I mean any trace of meat; chicken stock, fish sauce, etc.

I became a veggie because I don't like to kill animals. I am ovo lacto, which is the most liberal you can be and still be a veggie. I eat no animal flesh of any kind. I do eat eggs and milk. Next step is vegan, no animal products whatsoever, then fruitarian, nothing that kills the plant, so no carrots, but all fruits, most nuts.

My favorite meals are biscuits and gravy, which we had this morning, pinto beans, taters and cornbread, and Indian food. My wife is an amazing cook, so I always have something tasty around. I am not a health nut, so I still eat anything I want, as long as it doesn't contain meat. We usually have chocolate cake, orange cranberry scones, and cookies of all types laying around. My wife makes killer pizza.

I am very lucky to be married to a woman who eats anything. She eats what I eat with dead stuff added at another meal of the day if she wants.

My recipe for spaghetti is this:

Pompodoro Tomatoes (The pear shaped ones)

Can Of Tomato Sauce

Onions

Garlic

Bell Pepper

Lots of Italian Seasoning

Oregano

Crushed Red Pepper

Vegetarian Spicy Italian Sausage, made by Marie

Good Quality Olive Oil

Serve with noodles without oil in the water, salt is ok.

Sprinkle liberally with cheese, serve with homemade bread and sliced avocado. (I know, I know, but try it. Avocado goes wonderfully with spaghetti and for that matter, pasta dishes of all types.

We usually make enough for ten or so meals, and throw the leftover sauce in the freezer.

If anybody wants to know more, just holler. And btw, I know you guys are readers, but I also have a few thousand cookbooks of all types if anybody wants them, eBooks of course.

Keep Em coming.