Oz Telephone Rates. Whats long distance like from Australia ?

On this forum I have yet to hear of anyone who actually uses one of these plans for Australia.

Like I said, I've used Skype for 6 or 7 years from both RP and Thailand to Oz.

Works perfectly.

KonGC

ellenbrook2001

i talk everyday on my laptop from CEBU too PERTH never had a problem very very clear even better the PLTD we both have a SKYPE account free so no problems i am very very happy but i believed you must have a fast connection or will be bad i got an average of 2400 kbps so all seem fine

The easiest from Australia is to buy an Amaysim ($2) and then RP is 15cents/min to land line and 29 cents/min to mobile.

In fact the new Amaysim is pretty good all around.

Load $15 each 3 months to keep it alive and the balance unused is rolled over,

Land line - Mobile

Australia 15c / Min 15c / Min

Canada 15c / Min 15c / Min

China 15c / Min 15c / Min

Germany 15c / Min 29c / Min

Greece 15c / Min 29c / Min

Hong Kong 15c / Min 15c / Min

Ireland 15c / Min 29c / Min

Italy 15c / Min 29c / Min

Lebanon 15c / Min 29c / Min

India 15c / Min 15c / Min

Malaysia 15c / Min 15c / Min

New Zealand 15c / Min 29c / Min

Philippines 15c / Min 29c / Min

Singapore 15c / Min 15c / Min

South Africa 15c / Min 29c / Min

Sri Lanka 15c / Min 29c / Min

Thailand 15c / Min 15c / Min

United Arab Emirates 15c / Min 29c / Min

United Kingdom 15c / Min 29c / Min

United States Of America 15c / Min 15c / Min

Vietnam 15c / Min 15c / Min

KonGC

My question which still hasn't been addressed is: How much does it cost to call within Australia.

Say for example Sydey - Perth Brisbane to Sydney. and so on. any clues?

My question which still hasn't been addressed is: How much does it cost to call within Australia.

Say for example Sydey - Perth Brisbane to Sydney. and so on. any clues?

Australia is broken up into sometimes quite small areas.

Often only 10s of km wide in high density areas.

To call within your own area or and adjoining area is a flat fee, untimed (I think 25 or 30 cents)

To call wider than that is metered per minute.

That said, most folks don't even think about it as long as it's their own State ID (02 Sydney, 03 Melbourne)

http://www.telstra.com.au/home-phone/plans-rates-connections/

KonGC

Edited by KennyF

Skype has caller ID.

If I call someone, they know it's me.

If someone calls me, I know who it is.

KonGC

By law, Skype can't offer caller ID in Australia on land line numbers. There is a way to do this with cell phones , but that is not practical for a business. Our main number is an 02 (Sydney) based number and we are readily called from all over the country. We may get a 13 or 1 300 number if business keeps increasing.

Caller identification using your mobile number is available across the world (unfortunately the only current exceptions are Japan and Mexico). You can also assign your online number in these countries as well – Chile, Denmark, Estonia, Hong Kong, Poland, Sweden, the UK and the US.
Edited by Bob Ward

By law, Skype can't offer caller ID in Australia on land line numbers. There is a way to do this with cell phones , but that is not practical for a business. Our main number is an 02 (Sydney) based number and we are readily called from all over the country. We may get a 13 or 1 300 number if business keeps increasing.

I know more about this than I have time to share. But basically you can get a skype online number in Australia, it's $80 a year, but discounted by as much as 50% with annual subscriptions. Then in your case, just get an unlimited worldwide calling plan. Then you can call or forward anywhere in the world under the plan. * This does not always cover cell phones in some countries, like Australia. It costs like $.089 per minute to caal, not to recieve.

By law, Skype can't offer caller ID in Australia on land line numbers.

Bob, I have used Skype to support my customers in Oz for about 7 or 8 years.

I can be in Thailand, RP, or Oz and the calls come to Skype on my computer.

When the call comes in, it shows me the caller.

You do need a Skype in number but that's all you need.

I have one in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane so my customers have (in most cases) a local call.

I can even redirect that call to my mobile or any other phone in the world if I happen to be away from my PC.

KonGC

Bob, I have used Skype to support my customers in Oz for about 7 or 8 years.

I can be in Thailand, RP, or Oz and the calls come to Skype on my computer.

When the call comes in, it shows me the caller.

You do need a Skype in number but that's all you need.

I have one in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane so my customers have (in most cases) a local call.

I can even redirect that call to my mobile or any other phone in the world if I happen to be away from my PC.

KonGC

Yes, the inbound calls show the number. But if they call you or you call them, the caller ID shows Number Unknown on their end!

Bob, I think we must have different Skype systems.

If I call my Skype number from a regular phone, Skype tells me "the number of my regular phone is calling"

If I call my phone from Skype, my regular phone tells me "my Skype number is calling".

In other words, full caller ID service.

Maybe it's a country thing. I'm in Oz at the moment.

From the Skype help pages.....

You can set up caller identification using your Online Number in many countries, but there are still a number of countries where this is not yet possible.

Let everyone know you’re calling

If your friends don't answer calls from unknown numbers, set up caller identification (ID) when you call from Skype. Show your work, home or mobile number when you call, so people know it's you.

KonGC

Edited by KennyF