Can someone explain the hate/love affair of USA and France ?

Stranded Shipscook

MM;

Guenther's post said the States, not the UK/ And I am sure behind closed doors both the French and the White House use some 4 letter words in regards to each other. But again as I read my post I said publicly I do not know of nay issue we have with the French. You can count the freedom fry if you like MM but really what country does not have something against another. But usually its nothing major and in fact it appears normal to one and all.

MM saying you should Google, was a good suggestion - try americans hate french that should keep you busy

One result gives 7 reasons but these 2 seem worth repeating as contenders for why:

Reason Four: Dien Bien Phu

The Viet Minh arose to throw off a hundred years of French colonialism and in 1946 the French creates a puppet government for South Vietnam. What followed was a long, expensive and bloody campaign to keep their colony until, in 1953, the French tried for a decisive military victory tostrengthen their position at peace talks scheduled for the next year.

The place they chose was Dien Bien Phu, located in a remote Vietnamese valley near the border with Laos and China. But instead of a decisive victory, General Vo Nguyen Giap conducted a brilliant 56-day siege that ended with a French surrender of 11,000 men (of which a little over 4,000 survived captivity).

The French showed that a third-world country could defeat a western nation, giving hope to would-be communists everywhere.

And as a result, the French negotiated and withdrew their forces from Indochina, leaving a gap that Eisenhower felt the need to fill. If only the French hadn’t whimped out and accepted the two tactical nukes that Eisenhower offered.

Reason Five: Vichy Kills Allies

It’s one thing to fold under a Nazi blitzkrieg and set up a collaborationist government. It is quite another to spill Allied blood to keep on being occupied by a monster.

In 1941 a mainly-Australian Allied force entered Syria to prevent the Nazis from using it as a base for for attacks on Allied forces in Egypt and to protect the oil supplies coming from Iraq.

The Vichy forces, including elements of the French Foreign Legion, were instructed to fight against any Free French cause and did so passionately. Vichy forces lost about 1,000 soldiers. The Australians suffered about 1,500 casualties, including 416 deaths.

In 1942, an invasion of North Africa by U.S. and British forces is planned.Operation Torch was launched and (predictably) the French forces fired on us.

The French Resistance took control of key locations in Algiers in the hours before the invasion. However, American Consul Robert Murphy was unable to convince General Alphonse Juin (the senior French Army officer in North Africa) or Admiral François Darlan (commander of all Vichy French forces) to side with the allies and the Vichy retook almost all the positions by morning. (Of course, the entire city surrendered by six that evening when the Americans came to town.)

French ground forces resisted for three days, causing about 3000 casualties on each side and the French navy stubbornly fought on behalf of their Nazi master for several days.

Source

• Like 1
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stranded Shipscook

• sperry

• EAGLE

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What about the love hate relationship with France and the rest of the world.

Whilst the evidence given so far provides evidence of the symptoms I don't think it identifies the underlying illness. I think it goes right back to the cultural and political divide between the UK an

yes i am french then old enough too understand it,yes sure the old generation have a disliked of any foreigners ,but the new generation travel then have another point of view. has the American some r

Posted Images

dc3driver

I think those Americans who know their countries history would find it hard to hate or dislike France. After all, France helped fund the American revolution, they were allies of the USA from the get go.

The USA might not exist in the form it does if not for aid from France in the early days.

Where did the iconic USA emblem the statue of liberty come from?

There will always be differences between the 2 countries because of different cultures & viewpoints, but they tend to be minor.

• Like 1

I might be wrong but I get the impression that the French don't like anyone.

KonGC

• Like 3
the.lone.gunman

The French have never forgiven the Allies for liberating them from the Nazis in WW2.

• Like 2
dc3driver

Well, the French do believe the the epicenter of the universe revolves around France.....common knowledge, huh?

Experienced

I think those Americans who know their countries history would find it hard to hate or dislike France. After all, France helped fund the American revolution, they were allies of the USA from the get go.

The USA might not exist in the form it does if not for aid from France in the early days.

Where did the iconic USA emblem the statue of liberty come from?

There will always be differences between the 2 countries because of different cultures & viewpoints, but they tend to be minor.

"l'ennemi de mon ennemi est mon ami" pretty much explains that!

And the French didn't come in with boots on the ground (or even under sail) until AFTER the tide-turning victory at Saratoga.

We do thank them for the statue, however...

Stranded Shipscook

I appears that some say that the antipathy of US against France is based upon some historical episodes of wars. I think it is fair to say, that this can not be the reason, because then the same negative sentiments would certainly apply to the British and Germans as well.

So i may be right to say, that that can not be the reason.

Please, It is the other way around.You REALLY need this explained to you?

As it occured to me, there is a negative opinion of Americans towards the French.
SkyMan

I'm confused Guenther, you said there was a love/hate relationship between France and the US. Never witnessed any love though. $#%^#( frogs!

batman2525

I appears that some say that the antipathy of US against France is based upon some historical episodes of wars. I think it is fair to say, that this can not be the reason, because then the same negative sentiments would certainly apply to the British and Germans as well.

So i may be right to say, that that can not be the reason.

It does apply to the germans and Brits as well...I would say that the Brits dislike the germans more than what they dislike the frogs.

Stranded Shipscook

I'm confused Guenther, you said there was a love/hate relationship between France and the US. Never witnessed any love though. $#%^#( frogs!

Now if you could explain why, we already would have ONE reason/opinion

Edited by CATMAN
Stranded Shipscook

It does apply to the germans and Brits as well...I would say that the Brits dislike the Germans more than what they dislike the frogs.

This is not my experience at all, and i grew up with Brits and visited the UK many times. The general consent is, that they are pleased, that the wars have eventually ended and carry no further animosities, aside from funny cultural teasing..

Of course there are always the "eternal yesteryear" guys, but one seldom meets those, as they usually stick for themselves anyway.

Edited by CATMAN
Stranded Shipscook

Please, It is the other way around.You REALLY need this explained to you?

There is only one French in the forum, so i asked the Americans. And Yes, i want it explained, because i don't see any reasons.

Whilst the evidence given so far provides evidence of the symptoms I don't think it identifies the underlying illness. I think it goes right back to the cultural and political divide between the UK and France, which has existed for many centuries. France has long thought of itself, and it's language, as culturally superior to everyone else and this continues to this day. It fought this battle with the UK, up to the time of Empire, but since the USA assumed the role of the leader of the English speaking world, it has transferred the battle to them.

France simply does not accept that the USA leads them. They see themselves as being completely independent, certainly equal, and in many ways superior, to anything found in the USA. They take a separate line on defence and on politics.

Anyone who has had dealings with the French, as I have, will know that they can be utterly charming on a personal level but scratch the surface and and they will bleed France every time. Chauvonism is a French word for a very good reason.

The result of all this is that there are constant differencies with the French, who will dig their heels in over the silliest things if it hurts their sensitivities. The situation developed during WW2 when the French truly thought the Allies had a duty to save "La Belle France" because it represented everything that was of true value in the western world. It should not therefore be a surprise that there is such a big antipathy, especially as they are such a social democracy when compared to the USA.

• Like 5