Just a warning on driving...

SkyMan

Since relearning to drive here in the PI I have picked up a new habit I think very important for drivers here. If you are a new driver or just haven't had the experience, you may want to get into this habit.

At any time if you are planning to make a left turn, look into your left mirror before turning. It doesn't matter how long you've been sitting there with your turn signal on waiting to turn, if you take off without checking to see what idiot is passing you on the left, you could be in trouble. I was even noticing I was doing that in the states when I was there last and decided to keep doing it so I wouldn't get out of the happen for when I came back.

Alfred E. Neuman

Watch out for bikers who think it's their right to pass in between two vehicles and/or playing chicken by using the opposite lane and/or suddenly passing in front of your vehicle without warning and/or.......

Headshot

Just be careful of everything, everywhere, always!

From all directions...

• Like 1

Expect the Unexpected!

post-6636-0-86260400-1320912777_thumb.jpg

Pigs ride free!

thebob

Expect the Unexpected!

post-6636-0-86260400-1320912777_thumb.jpg

Pigs ride free!

No way!

Babies ride free, only rich people own pigs!

Ha ha Look left right front back Have you not learned any thing. Ive only been here for month and I LOOK every direction and they still surprize me.

Stranded Shipscook

and buckle up !

• Like 1
miles-high
Just be careful of everything, everywhere, always!

Very true... just be extra careful… the National Highway is… a playground, a badminton court, rice harvesting pad (drying?), among other uses…

:)

(all pics around Samar…)

DSC04346.JPG

DSC04359.JPG

DSC04368.JPG

Yes I agree that you need to look in all directions but that includes WALKING too.... I learned a huge lesson once... I was walking out of my hotel in Cebu City...this was a one way street so normally you would expect only traffic from one direction. As I walked out of the hotel front paving area and towards the one way road and to head towards the corner, I was walking the same direction as the one way road traffic would go. This was not a busy street but it had it's share of cars, bikes etc here and there. As I walked out there was a van or something blocking my view so I could not see the area where if anyone was so damn stupid to be driving the wrong way. As I walked out a motorbike came wizzing past me driving the wrong way, it missed me by inches..... After that I looked every direction, even just walking now.... Lesson was to never assume anyone would follow basic road rules here. Well, even in the west I'm still wary of some things like driving through intersections as you don't know if some damn ass has driven a red light etc... Defensive driving in the west plus defensive walking in the Philippines....

MarinePride

Situational awareness is a rule to live by here, no matter what you are doing out in public. I wish it was a mutual thing with people who use the roads here, but it's not. Notice I said, "people who use the roads", because a lot of people aren't even driving. They are just there, so they are another obstacle to avoid. Nothing more irritating than trying to navigate a narrow road and the pedi cycles block it down to a one way lane. Or the guy driving the jeepney changing a tire in the lane. I gotta stop because the driving absolutely is my biggest headache every day.

jtmwatchbiz

just drive like the locals, as they drive in the same manner in which they live their lives...slowly unless something is important to them, change direction with any whim, expect everyone to give way to their wishes, disregard life unless it's their own, etc etc.

also important to remember the 2 most important buttons in your car: the horn and emergency flashers. as those are the magic "do anything and park anywhere you like" buttons.

• Like 1