Sign in to follow this  
Jess Bartone

Issues with sound

Jess Bartone

Yesterday I bought a Logitech H530 USB headset so I could join a very important webinar and hear every word clearly. Well there were no worries, just plug and play, Microsoft automatically installs the drivers and announces the device is ready to use. For better or worse I heard every word and that was that, webinar ends, so I remove the headset from the USB, only to discover I have no sound in my desktop speakers.

I have spent hours trying to figure this out, but can finding nothing to enable the desktop speakers again... the type that plug into the (round, 3-contact) 3.5mm stereo jack. Anyone ever had this happen before, and have a solution?

broden

have you tried reinstalling your soundcard drivers?

KennyF

Go to [Control Panel] [sound and audio devices] [Audio] tab then select your speakers from the [sound Playback] default device.

KonGC

• Like 1

TorJay

Go to [Control Panel] [sound and audio devices] [Audio] tab then select your speakers from the [sound Playback] default device.

KonGC

Yup, this is your solution. No need to reinstall any drivers.

Jess Bartone

have you tried reinstalling your soundcard drivers?

I don't have a disc, drivers came preinstalled with the pc.

KonGC

On the drop-down list it has:

Bluetooth SCO Audio

Bluetooth AV Audio

Studio Pro audio1

Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)

It was already on "Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)" to I selected something else, clicked "apply" and nothing... tried them all and came back to "Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)" and I'll be damned they started working again.

I am guessing the headset caused some conflict somewhere but resetting as you advised me Kenny seems to work, but for anyone reading who may have a similar problem, remember it may be on the correct setting but needs to be taken away and brought back to it again to work.

Electronics are so weird... thanks for your help fellas.

*Edit* bloody headset doesn't work now but did I expect anything else?

Edited by Jesse

broden

now just remember that for the next time you use that headset. cause it'll likely happen again

Davaoeno

Jess- just remember that the most useful thing to know if something doesnt work on your computer is RESTART !! [ which essentially is what you did here i think !]

KennyF

now just remember that for the next time you use that headset. cause it'll likely happen again

Broden's right mate. And the easiest way Jesse if you do this often is to make a shortcut .

I change to headset every pm and back to speakers each day.

Go to [Control Panel] [sound Devices] like before but instead of opening [sound Devices] right click and drag a shortcut onto your desktop.

A tip. The output only changes before you start the program that need it.

KonGC

miles-high

Another easy way to change between the speakers and headset is to use the speakers with a headset jack… this way there is only one audio driver to deal with...

I have a Bose computer speaker system that has a headset jack… I use a Bose aviation active noise cancelling headset at home so I only need one set of headset for both traveling and home…

:)

NB: I or any of my family memebers work for or hold any shares of Bose... :P

• Like 1

KennyF
Another easy way to change between the speakers and headset is to use the speakers with a headset jack…

Maybe it's just me but on my sound gear through the ages, computers, VCR, MP3 players etc, the first thing to go is the headphone socket so I don't like to use them so much.

KonGC

USMC-Retired

You want simple. Unplug restart the computer. There your sound to speakers is back. If not follow what Kenny said.

KennyF

You want simple. Unplug restart the computer. There your sound to speakers is back. If not follow what Kenny said.

Unplugging the PC won't work. When you restart you will still have the speakers you selected.

KonGC

USMC-Retired

Hmm that is odd that it would default to a device that is not connected. I guess if your computer has that selected as default it would just not work... Because I do not know I will defer to the above. Then say follow what Kenny said in post 2.

KennyF
Hmm that is odd that it would default to a device that is not connected.

Not so odd.

Think about the more common situation where you have multiple printers.

You set the default to Canon.

When you restart, Canon is unplugged but Windows still says Canon is default and will to to print to it.

(it will spool and do nothing else)

Same with sound devices.

KonGC

USMC-Retired

True that. I just never run into those problems. So never had a need to test it.