Philippine farmers cash in on civet coffee dung

TheMatrix

My buddy that lives in Las Vegas, but owns a large parcel of land in Carcar just sent me this article and comment. He's looking to do something with his land. I believe he is growing mahogany trees now.

I could raise these on my land and feed them raw coffee beans. Problem is finding the breeding stock.

http://ph.news.yahoo...-051618183.html

I don't know anything about it, but was wondering if anyone on this forum can shed some light on this topic.

-

Edited by TheMatrix

From good old Wiki.....

Kopi Luwak, also known as caphe cut chon (fox-dung coffee) in Vietnam and kape alamid in the Philippines, is coffee that is prepared using coffee cherries that have been eaten and partially digested by the Asian Palm Civet, then harvested from its fecal matter.[3][4] The civets digest the flesh of the coffee cherries but pass the beans inside, leaving their stomach enzymes to go to work on the beans, which adds to the coffee's prized aroma and flavor.[3] Only around 1,000 pounds (450 kg) of civet coffee make it to the market each year, and 1 pound (0.45 kg) can cost up to $600 in some parts of the world and about $100 a cup in others.

If you don't like the idea of battery chickens then you won't be drinking this coffee.

The Civets are kept in banks of tiny cages so thier shit is easy to collect.

KonGC

Edited by KennyF
Stranded Shipscook

Since its involving wildlife animals, please tell your friend to contact the DENR and DA for details for keeping and breeding them.

Stranded Shipscook

Here's a good link that explains it.

http://www.straightd...m-tortured-cats

KonGC

i tried to avoid to go to much into this aspect .... :) But one things is clear, i would never ever buy such a coffee..

However, lets stay on the humour aspect, isn't it incredible and a proof that one CAN MAKE Money out of SHIT ? :rofl:

Edited by CATMAN
Davaoeno

i tried to avoid to go to much into this aspect .... :) But one things is clear, i would never ever buy such a coffee..

However, lets stay on the humour aspect, isn't it incredible and a proof that one CAN MAKE Money out of SHIT ? :rofl:

I was really surprised when I went with Guenther to his wholesale supplier to buy supplies for his restaurant there were bags of civet coffee sitting on the counter for sale !! I'd never seen it for sale before.

Supposedly the coffee that has been "processed" by wild civets is better than the ones from caged civets, because like juan valdez they only pick the finest beans !

TheMatrix

I was really surprised when I went with Guenther to his wholesale supplier to buy supplies for his restaurant there were bags of civet coffee sitting on the counter for sale !! I'd never seen it for sale before.

Supposedly the coffee that has been "processed" by wild civets is better than the ones from caged civets, because like juan valdez they only pick the finest beans !

Wow! Are you shitting me? You saw civet coffee at his supplier? I'll try anything once.

Supposedly the coffee that has been "processed" by wild civets is better than the ones from caged civets

All civets are "wild" but not "in the wild".

Even if kept in a cage they are still wild civets.

It's just a play on words.

Like canned fruit marked "No added sugar" when they are packed in fruit juice (just as much sugar).

KonGC

• Like 1
TheMatrix

Like canned fruit marked "No added sugar" when they are packed in fruit juice (just as much sugar).

KonGC

Yes, I agree. The food industry is very talented with their play on words.

How about Jollibee's statement regarding their hamburger patties: "Made with 100% Beef"

I guess if 5% of that patty is 100% pure beef, they can justify truth in advertising.

Davaoeno

KonGC

OK mr smarty pants, let me rephrase that then : "" Supposedly the coffee that has been "processed" by out in the wild wild civets is better than the ones from caged wild civets"

feel better now ?? :rofl:

the difference in the coffee quality has nothing to do with the civets living conditions, but rather in the choice of berries that the out in the wild wild civets have ! Its not the civets digestive system that is the determining factor but rather the quality of the berries [ coffee beans]

Edited by davaolife

Finally I know why my coffee tastes like shit!

ME:"Hey sweetheart,we are drinking beetle shit coffee!".

SWEETHEART:"You mean it wasn't a LABRADOR?".

The Mason

If you want to try animal-processed coffee, you can get South American coffee that is processed with various birds instead of civets. The taste is similar and its much less expensive. You can usually special order animal-processed green coffee beans from websites like Sweet Maria's or Coffee Bean Corral. Sweet Maria's will ship internationally, but not sure about CBC.

Stranded Shipscook

If you want to try animal-processed coffee, you can get South American coffee that is processed with various birds instead of civets. The taste is similar and its much less expensive. You can usually special order animal-processed green coffee beans from websites like Sweet Maria's or Coffee Bean Corral. Sweet Maria's will ship internationally, but not sure about CBC.

I wonder what the brand name of that Coffee is,EL GUANO MILD, or CAFE KAKABANA. CAFE AVIOLA GUANO sounds also nice... :dance:

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

you could try it with people too

there are tons of drug mules out there with the proper credentials and experience

• Like 3
Stranded Shipscook

you could try it with people too

there are tons of drug mules out there with the proper credentials and experience

Now that would be a livelihood program. ow, what an idea. Similar to the "FAIR" coffee program.

"Say not to shit, but have a cup !"

"All our processing employees are 100% guaranteed former Columbian drug mules."

'They give a shit for your morning delight !"

"A cup a day to keep the Cocain away !"

• Like 1