Pumpkin pie

RogerDat

RogerDat

Greetings! I said I would try making pumpkin pie from the local kalabasa.

I did and the taste was good. The spices need work as does the texture.

The recipe I used is a pre baked shell, a stove top cooking of the filling in a pot, then transfers to the shell where it sets up.

Cooking time for this recipe is about ten minuets for the shell, and thirty for the filling, a major saving in time and gas compared to oven baked complete pies, which said to cook for over 3 hours (so the shell was completely cooked would be my guess).

The problems I encountered;

1. Pie shell rolling takes skill and practice. Nether my niece or I had such skill, I mixed the dough which I am ok at from making biscuits, she had watched pie making on TV, so she rolled the shell. The dough was lacking, so we didn’t get a pretty shell, but it tasted good. (It would never see the light of day in Carolina, I told her, but would have been quietly buried out back at night.) She had a good laugh!

2. Local pumpkin is MUCH sweeter than US type, so sugar must be reduced, or use brown sugar instead.

3. Most locals have never experienced the intensity of McCormick spices, so they must be adjusted. ( of course the spice!)

4. I used the steaming method to cook the pumpkin, it came out good, but if you do not remove the skin first, mashing is not enough; you must puree it to get a smooth texture. Using the milk in the recipe to dilute it, then it will puree nicely, then just combine the other ingredients; More on this when I post the revised recipe.

My neighbor, (a Filipino doughnut maker and vendor) complained why had I used deodorant in the pie? I let her smell first the Cinnamon, she jumped and gave a big smile, GOOD she said, I like this, next the Nutmeg, jumped again, but no smile (it was very intense I guess like smelling ammonia the first time), I then handed her the Cloves, Jumped coughed, and snorted. THAT’S the one she shouted, don’t use so much of that! It is intense, oil of cloves is used for tooth pain back home.

So the next task is to make these changes, and if all goes well, I will have a pie ready for church Thanksgiving dinner this year.

I will post the revised recipe after verification.

Take care.

post-7667-0-67629800-1319967517_thumb.jpg

Edited by RogerDat
CardiacKid

How about using the Taiwan Camote instead of the kalbasa. I steam them whole and everyone loves them. They also are naturally sweet and remind me of the sweet potatoes in the South. Once cooked and cooled, they are very easy to peel.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i'll have to see if i can get my wife to post here she has her own and my Mom's recipe

though my mom more often made sweet potato pie

i'll see if we can dig up the recipe for that too

• 1 month later...

it's a recipe of American Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:

• 500g mashed, cooked pumpkin
  • 1 (410g) tin evaporated milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 175g dark brown soft sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • For the pie crust:
  • 350g plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 200g butter
  • 125ml cold water

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 200 C.

2. Halve pumpkin and scoop out seeds and stringy portions. Cut pumpkin into chunks. In a saucepan over medium heat, cover the pumpkin with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool and remove the peel.

3. Return pumpkin to the saucepan and mash with a potato masher. Drain well, and measure 500g of the mashed pumpkin; reserve any excess pumpkin for another us.

4. Prepare pie crust by mixing together the flour and salt. Rub butter into flour, and add 1 tablespoon cold water to mixture at a time. Mix and repeat until crust is moist enough to hold together.

5. With lightly floured hands, shape pie into a ball. On a lightly floured board, roll pie out to barely a .25cm thickness. Transfer to a 20 or 23cm baking dish, gently pressing pie into the bottom. Cut off any excess pie hanging over the sides of the dish, and pinch pie securely around the inner edge.

6. In a large bowl with mixer speed on medium, beat pumpkin with evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Mix well. Pour into a prepared pie dish. Bake 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Edited by Admin
fixed some text errors (size)