• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• Stranded Shipscook

• Baywak

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair question- but my answer is more based on my personal views than on being an ex lawyer. When Dutertes son pulled over a bus that disobeyed a traffic light and pistol whipped the driver i came out

It may seem good, and it has an effect, but i worry about the future. When will it stop ? Where will it stop ? What if times change ? In this questions i always like to use the famous phrase of Past

So...vigilantism is OK...provided it is led by a "fair" and educated person?   Latin American and Southeast Asian history is full of such "benevolent" dictators, who thought they were doing the "ri

Posted Images

Catman Guenther-even after several years in the philippines I thought something like you speak here.And I do wish change for the philippines could happen in some orderly and thoughtout way.But I have come to agree with the Dutertes approach.The twisted web of crime,terror and kidnapping would take generations to even begin a change even with the best thought out remedies and even if they were carried out,so called lawfully.I read your posts and have to disagree with them.The only ones the Duterte's are putting fear into are the ones that fear should be put into.I do not believe for a minute that there approach will eventually backlash and the criminals will return even better then before.I think even after the Duterte's are out of office the next Mayor will follow suit.I live in Davao and I feel something completely different here then during the years that I lived in Cebu and there were over 400 vigilante killings.I have a lot of respect for Duterte and his daughter.Someone had to do something and they are doing it.There are many changes here in davao thanks to the Duterte's,changes that are only in Davao and nowhere else in the Pinas.

Edited by Baywak
  • Like 4
questsea73

The only thing necessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing. Not an original thought, but a famous one.

In the USA do-gooders, liberals, capital punishment is "cruel & unusual", not responsible for his actions because of his childhood lack of potty training, etc. excusers have handcuffed law enforcement officials to the point that taking the law into one's hands seems a good option sometimes. Would you rather hang from the highest tree a child-molester/murderer before the police arrive or have him arrested, lawyered, psych-evaluated, sentenced to 25 years in prison, out on parole in 3 years 7 months, and back at it again.

Don't know about legal system in P.I. but there are plenty of lawyers, and cases apparently take years to arrive in court, and if you are wealthy you are in luck, or in a sharia law area and buy off relatives you are in luck. So probably plenty of reason to take the direct approach if you want a safe area for your family to live. Safe for Filipina families is the political motive here; these actions are not being taken to make it safe for foreigners and so tourist organization is not embarrassed over their extravagant claims for the area.

Similar actions were taken in Thailand several years ago, and apparently were very effective. Unfortunately the head of state had made too many enemies in Bangkok while treating central and north rural people like human beings in terms of benefits, so he was removed for political grounds disguised as financial irregularities. This was the Bangkokers saying 1 of our city votes is better than 1 vote from a rural person.

The issue is control in Davao. Oversight before action is taken. Extreme punishment for people who nominate enemies to go on the list....settling old scores.

Ken

• Like 1
mikejwoodnz

Duterte is just a guy who said " enough is enough, I'm not putting up with this violent abuse of our citizens anymore, and I'm going to do something about it " :lol:

• Like 5
Stranded Shipscook

Catman Guenther-even after several years in the philippines I thought something like you speak here.And I do wish change for the philippines could happen in some orderly and thoughtout way.But I have come to agree with the Dutertes approach.The twisted web of crime,terror and kidnapping would take generations to even begin a change even with the best thought out remedies and even if they were carried out,so called lawfully.I read your posts and have to disagree with them.The only ones the Duterte's are putting fear into are the ones that fear should be put into.I do not believe for a minute that there approach will eventually backlash and the criminals will return even better then before.I think even after the Duterte's are out of office the next Mayor will follow suit.I live in Davao and I feel something completely different here then during the years that I lived in Cebu and there were over 400 vigilante killings.I have a lot of respect for Duterte and his daughter.Someone had to do something and they are doing it.There are many changes here in davao thanks to the Duterte's,changes that are only in Davao and nowhere else in the Pinas.

Fine with me. I hope it stays that way and Davao is the only exception in the world. For you guys.

That still does not change my mind about law and constitution breaking Politicians.

Any other way would mean," hey, why don't abolish all rights and do it completely right? Abolish all the naysayers, the intellectuals, the critical people, anybody who makes our harmonic peaceful world "kaputt". And while we are at it, what do we need a democracy anyway, we got Duterte, he solves all our problems, give him all the power. And the other elected people are just filling their pockets anyway. Cheaper to have ONE person in charge only. "

Stranded Shipscook

The only thing necessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing. Not an original thought, but a famous one.

In the USA do-gooders, liberals, capital punishment is "cruel & unusual", not responsible for his actions because of his childhood lack of potty training, etc. excusers have handcuffed law enforcement officials to the point that taking the law into one's hands seems a good option sometimes. Would you rather hang from the highest tree a child-molester/murderer before the police arrive or have him arrested, lawyered, psych-evaluated, sentenced to 25 years in prison, out on parole in 3 years 7 months, and back at it again.

Don't know about legal system in P.I. but there are plenty of lawyers, and cases apparently take years to arrive in court, and if you are wealthy you are in luck, or in a sharia law area and buy off relatives you are in luck. So probably plenty of reason to take the direct approach if you want a safe area for your family to live. Safe for Filipina families is the political motive here; these actions are not being taken to make it safe for foreigners and so tourist organization is not embarrassed over their extravagant claims for the area.

Similar actions were taken in Thailand several years ago, and apparently were very effective. Unfortunately the head of state had made too many enemies in Bangkok while treating central and north rural people like human beings in terms of benefits, so he was removed for political grounds disguised as financial irregularities. This was the Bangkokers saying 1 of our city votes is better than 1 vote from a rural person.

The issue is control in Davao. Oversight before action is taken. Extreme punishment for people who nominate enemies to go on the list....settling old scores.

Ken

Well, Ken, with all due respect, but it isn't good enough for me to become a part of the Mob.

I KNOW law and order works, i grew up with it, I KNOW, resosialisation and the efforts of a liberal criminal justice system works, because i grew up with it.

I also KNOW, that the harsh and viscious penal system in the Nation you came from, has failed.

I also KNOW, that humans are all the same, when circumstances and surrounding are equal, they will turn out equal.

I also KNOW, that when time are bad, people (the MOB) tends to shout for more drastic measures, but i also KNOW, that this is not good at all. History repeats and in the moment we (The world) is going into a dangerous direction.

Instead of turning BACK in time, we should rather look into the future. We (or the leaders) have enough examples of functioning systems.

The idea should be to adapt them and go forward and not to go back to primitive measures.

There is no EASY solution. Its to complex.

The future has to start now, do we want totalitarian or liberal. Choice is to the people, but so far ALL totalitarian models have failed.

We can't be two faced and condemn the (functioning btw.) concepts of South/central America,the Middle east or the Eastern Block states on one hand and then try the same when we deem fitting.

Edited by CATMAN
Stranded Shipscook

Duterte is just a guy who said " enough is enough, I'm not putting up with this violent abuse of our citizens anymore, and I'm going to do something about it " :steve:

Collateral damage included. :)

Fine with me. I hope it stays that way and Davao is the only exception in the world. For you guys.

That still does not change my mind about law and constitution breaking Politicians.

Any other way would mean," hey, why don't abolish all rights and do it completely right? Abolish all the naysayers, the intellectuals, the critical people, anybody who makes our harmonic peaceful world "kaputt". And while we are at it, what do we need a democracy anyway, we got Duterte, he solves all our problems, give him all the power. And the other elected people are just filling their pockets anyway. Cheaper to have ONE person in charge only. "

The naysayers,the intellectuals,the critical people most likely hav'nt been kidnapping children and killing them for there organs and leaving them floating somewhere.Obviously I can take you on a trip with all possible crimes.Your above post is so far fetched.We should probably have you give seminars(Guenther sez don't do that seminars) to the demons who kidnap kids for there organs-kidnappers kidnap and nurses remove the organs.I am confident that your seminars would be as successful as your rap here.

Edited by Baywak
Stranded Shipscook

The naysayers,the intellectuals,the critical people most likely hav'nt been kidnapping children and killing them for there organs and leaving them floating somewhere.Obviously I can take you on a trip with all possible crimes.Your above post is so far fetched.We should probably have you give seminars(Guenther sez don't do that seminars) to the demons who kidnap kids for there organs-kidnappers kidnap and nurses remove the organs.I am confident that your seminars would be as successful as your rap here.

What do nurses and organs harvesters have to do with this. Most likely they are getting away anyway, since they are from the organized crime. And even Duterte can not fight the Chinese Triads, Russian Mafia or other super criminal organisations.

If they'd operate in Davao, he would most likely be assassinated. Simple as that. Then what ? Having left behind nothing but an ineffectice police force which can only refer or rely to vigilante methods and human rights violations as solution. they'd most probably be bribed and then the shit really hits the fan.

Trust me, those kidn of organised criminals are not impressed by it, as can be seen in our own backyards. The only way to get them is legal, by destroying their only motive of operations, money. see Al Capone and other organized crime, they eventually got beaten by a very simple system, taxes. By deskfarters and not the man with the gun.

But again, i am just in general despise a system of easy solutions and wild west methods. We live in the 21st century, law enforcement has far better methods at hand now. Even in the Philippines. this should be focused on and not fighting the symptoms , but the causes.

What I am talking about also are the ignorance of constitutional rights, even for criminals. And the possibility of abuse. What hinders a Politician to also slain his political opponents ? Nothing.

Once human rights are ignored, the next step is pretty close at hand. Plenty of examples in the world, and in the Philippines.

Marcos. been elected, been reelected, created an atmosphere of imminent danger and then declared Martial law.

That simple. Standard recipe.

I do not SAY that mayor Duterte is that way, just giving an example.

Davaoeno

Its nice to see you finally agree with us Guenther !!

questsea73

Of course there is no easy answer to this issue.

One thing is for sure: foreigners coming in and making up a hit list of who should not be living tomorrow is the worst. Witness the Phoenix Program in Vietnam with major CIA involvement.

The locals know who are the ones who have a stockpile of drugs or AK-47's, etc in their homes, godowns; they know who has wealth without visible means of earning it legally; they know who should be disappearing either to exile on the 7189th island in the P.I. chain (the one that is above water only 1 hour in 24) or to a Hell Island imprisonment.

The federal law enforcement people in USA for 80 years have known most of the major crime kingpins, many of them Italians, arrived under indiscriminate immigration policies in the 1910's and 1920's; they could have been deported before they became dominant if laws existed that didn't exclude pertinent, clear evidence of wrong doing. Other chains of evil from Ukraine, Vietnam, Cuba are tougher to id. The ACLU is one of the major detrimental impediments to a better society in the USA; it wasn't always that way.

Collateral damage often refers to heavy-handed interference by foreigners using inexperienced mainline troops in a society they know little or nothing about, normally relying heavily on high tech equipment to target from a far distance bad guys who are in the midst of innocents. It's a "don't risk the troops" strategy which has a lot of good points since the troops are not effective in that environment unless Special Forces/Seals/Rangers, etc. put in on a short term, specific mission (for example: surgical extraction(downed aircrew), or surgical kidnap/kill mission(bin Laden).

Be nice to think Davao would have this kind of speciality forces to protect the people in the city. And wisely continue to reject any USA offered assistance.

Ken

lazydays

Again where in your OP does it address that the kidnapping was at gun point - the only thing I can see even when I clicked on the article link was that one kidnapper was killed - nothing about hand grenades

PM or lets take down stairs

Full story here

http://www.sunstar.c...shootout-6-year-

Scroll down to the bottom of page 1, click on page 2, scroll down until you see the headline title "Kidnapper killed in shootout 6 year old boy freed", click on "full story".

Edited by lazydays
lazydays

just testing;

Edited by lazydays
Davaoeno
just testing;

the appropriate authorities have been notified !! We know that anytime someone is " just testing" they are obviously up to no good !! Big brother is watching !!

• Like 1