Keeping Davao safe and liveable

lazydays

Is it? Anyone who thinks they will not be affected by extra-judicial methods can justify them in exactly the same way as you just did. You don't find out that it isn't different until it is too late for you.

The extra-judicial thing is hearsay/gossip/rumour with no factual evidence ever presented at all, could easily have been incited by political opponents for all we know.

The particular case in the OPs article states that the kidnappers were swiftly caught, 1 killed, 1 arrested.

There are no details so far how 1 got killed, i can only hazard a guess that he resisted arrest by trying to escape and/or opened fire on the police, since the other one was simply arrested and detained. I don't have a problem with that.

If they had both been put up against a wall and shot, then that would be a different matter all together.

PS, I just spotted another article about this case in the same news link, dated 21st.

The boy that was kidnapped was a businessmans son, ransom demand was made. Both kidnappers were armed. The one that got shot tried to escape, by attempting to lob a grenade at the police, which is why he was shot.

If you click on the highlighted link "kidnapper shot dead" scroll down a little you will see the title of the full story.

Edited by lazydays
  • Like 3
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• Stranded Shipscook

• Baywak

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair question- but my answer is more based on my personal views than on being an ex lawyer. When Dutertes son pulled over a bus that disobeyed a traffic light and pistol whipped the driver i came out

It may seem good, and it has an effect, but i worry about the future. When will it stop ? Where will it stop ? What if times change ? In this questions i always like to use the famous phrase of Past

So...vigilantism is OK...provided it is led by a "fair" and educated person?   Latin American and Southeast Asian history is full of such "benevolent" dictators, who thought they were doing the "ri

Posted Images

jtmwatchbiz

i think that this is a very controversial topic and it may not be suitable for us foreigners to comment on the performance of a local politician.

i will add tho, that i absolutely love visiting davao, and the good treatment we receive from everyone there. davao is the only place among these cities that i had a policeman walk up to me and ask me if i needed directions or assistance, as i was looking confused, standing on a corner and not sure which way i needed to go to get to the san pedro area of jewelry and watch dealers.

i was impressed...

• Like 3
For Real

It may seem good, and it has an effect, but i worry about the future. When will it stop ? Where will it stop ? What if times change ?

I hope one day a higher & cleaner form of governance will emerge.Duterte style governance is simply the lesser of 2 evils and gets better results in order & safety for the greater population. There may come a time that it becomes the greater evil, but it would have to decline a very long way to outrank the current Philippine state of impunity.

• Like 4
rainymike

I understand the philosophical points being made here. I can't speak for times past, but in this particular news item, I don't see anything that smacks of uncontrolled vigilantism. The bad guys were very bad guys indeed - armed with a gun and grenade. They wanted 2 million and threatened to cut out the child's internal organs. That the police (and not some death squad) moved in and took care of business swiftly speaks well of the city's leadership and police.

My children go to school here and sometimes I have fits about the kids being so 'open' and 'friendly' to others. I actually felt like a jerk reprimanding my eldest girl for riding around with a trike driver once. But as we see, the worst can happen and does happen. Should it ever happen to me, I hope the police will move swiftly and with a clear sense of what needs to be done (e.g. saving the kid as a first priority).

I understand all the philosophical concerns about excessive use of authority, but in this case, I just don't see it. And as for the vice mayor coming out and warning potential criminals and cautioning children to be careful ... good on him. He was right ... I should not be letting my little girl get into a trike or taxi with strangers ... and I must live up to my responsibilities as a parent.

• Like 3
Stranded Shipscook

With respect Guenther thats a totally different scenario.

Is it really ? Adolf Hitler started as an elected and absolutely legal politician, people wanted jobs, safety and the like. Then came the vigilantes ( SA ) and then the the "special" laws. Everybody applauded, because things became better. The Rest is history.

It is not one Madman who makes it happen, its the silence of the people who let him do it.

Modern nations created a system of law and the procedures and principals are all clear.

The laws are undoubtfully there, if the executive doesn't work, the Politicians Job is to make them work, and not create other measures or "shortcuts" to replace them.

Even if it appears to work, but the dangers that it gets out of hand are too great.

• Like 5
smokey

I agree. You can live in Cebu or other area of the Philippines and be afraid of the criminals or you can live in Davao where the criminals are afraid. I can see that as a better place to be, unless I were a criminal of course.

what i think is funny is most of us CAME here to get away from the police state,,, the government telling you what and when and how to do it.. davao is the USA in the philippines ... i have heard his name is being suggested as a run for the top office..

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Is it really ? Adolf Hitler started as an elected and absolutely legal politician, people wanted jobs, safety and the like. Then came the vigilantes ( SA ) and then the the "special" laws. Everybody applauded, because things became better. The Rest is history.

It is not one Madman who makes it happen, its the silence of the people who let him do it.

Modern nations created a system of law and the procedures and principals are all clear.

The laws are undoubtfully there, if the executive doesn't work, the Politicians Job is to make them work, and not create other measures or "shortcuts" to replace them.

Even if it appears to work, but the dangers that it gets out of hand are too great.

Guenther, for a long time resident of the Philippines I find your view on how you expect things to be handled in this country as incredibly naive. If we wait for the politicians to " make them work " i believe that we are all in bad trouble !!

Example - there is rampant corruption- how long do we wait until the Politicians do their job and solve the problem ? Have you noticed that having that attitude has solved a lot of the legal problems here in the Philippines in the last 20 years ?

You say " it is not one Madman" who makes it happen ? Do you honestly feel Duterte is a Madman ? because i can tell you- you wont find a lot of support for your view here in Davao.

Duterte is just a guy who said " enough is enough, I'm not putting up with this violent abuse of our citizens anymore, and I'm going to do something about it ! And we are not talking about any kind of vigilantism here - [ because that NOT what happened !!] - what we are talking about is a Mayor/VIce mayor who was willing to stand up in public and warn kidnappers ,murderers,robbers,drug dealers that force would be met with force- and they would be dealt with harshly. And the citizens of Davao are much safer for it. The people arent as you say "silent" - they are cheering !!

Edited by davaolife
  • Like 3
Davaoeno

what i think is funny is most of us CAME here to get away from the police state,,, the government telling you what and when and how to do it.. davao is the USA in the philippines ... i have heard his name is being suggested as a run for the top office..

Smokey - will you please ask Smokey if he stayed up late at night thinking to come up with that incredible piece of insight into Davao City ?

smokey

Smokey - will you please ask Smokey if he stayed up late at night thinking to come up with that incredible piece of insight into Davao City ?

hey davao life if you want any more wise info let me know... DAVAO ohhh no smoking... no jaywalking,, jeeps stop at jeep stops... hummmm sounds so us to me

Edited by smokey

You mean the jeepneys stop at all the jeepney stops in the USA? :rofl::P I see people smoking in Davao everyday in just about all the same places they will smoke in cebu,manila and the USA.Yes Peoples Park Guards will hold your smokes while your in the park-oh boo hoo what will I do without my butts,i might freak out-hide a pack under your toupee' :pimp: ?If there is no jaywalking in davao-someone needs to tell the people here that. :welcome: davao is the best in the Pinas.Keep it a secret.All the whiners and expats that spend there lives trying to get a handle on why they all wear knee socks with sandals,plaid yellow burmuda shorts with those see through T shirts are all on another island.

hey davao life if you want any more wise info let me know... DAVAO ohhh no smoking... no jaywalking,, jeeps stop at jeep stops... hummmm sounds so us to me

Edited by Baywak

What am I missing here? Did Duterte execute one of the kidnappers? Is the one that is alive being held in jail without charges?

What evidence is Duterte basing his threats on? On the testimony of school children the same age as the victim? So had Duterte been here on Cebu Island there is a good chance that Erik Berger would be dead now - because he was warned before about kidnapping...

Maybe I am not reading the story close enough, or maybe this harsh treatment should only be applied to Filipinos, but if a foreigner finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, or looks similar to another foreigner, let's hope he/she isn't in Davao

Yup-you read it wrong man.

What am I missing here? Did Duterte execute one of the kidnappers? Is the one that is alive being held in jail without charges?

What evidence is Duterte basing his threats on? On the testimony of school children the same age as the victim? So had Duterte been here on Cebu Island there is a good chance that Erik Berger would be dead now - because he was warned before about kidnapping...

Maybe I am not reading the story close enough, or maybe this harsh treatment should only be applied to Filipinos, but if a foreigner finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, or looks similar to another foreigner, let's hope he/she isn't in Davao

Davaoeno

gee Mike - i didnt realize that Berger kidnapped a child at gun point and threw a grenade at the pursuing police ?? But if that is what he did then yes, you are correct, there is a good chance that he would be dead now if he did that !!

But since you are giving us all a lesson on how life is in Davao Mike- why dont you list for us the names of the foreigners in Davao that have been executed without trial for committing crimes ? Come on Mike- I'm sure you arent just spouting unfounded stories just like a filipino reporter-are you Mike ?

:welcome: