Keeping Davao safe and liveable

Davaoeno

Its a matter of public record that not too long ago Davao City was as lawless as many other parts of Mindanao. Then Rodney Duterte became mayor and all that changed. Now vice mayor Duterte continues to do his part to make sure that Davao remains a place where its citizens can live in relative safety. Last week a 6 year old girl was kidnapped in Matina in Davao . Markham and I both live in Matina.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-news/2011/10/24/vice-mayor-warns-kidnappers-186732

Vice mayor warns kidnappers

Monday, October 24, 2011

DAVAO City Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte warned kidnappers of the consequence of their actions and reminded children to avoid strangers.

Duterte got mad after two men abducted a six-year-old boy from the Matina Central Elementary School last Monday.

One kidnapper was shot dead while another was captured in last Monday’s incident.

“I already warned you (kidnappers) on this a long time ago, na huwag na huwag ninyo gagawin yan dito sa Davao City. Because if that happens, para mo na rin sinugal ang buhay mo, ipapahuli ko talaga kayo sa police even that would mean death. As long as I am a resident of this city, I will never tolerate this kind of inhuman act,” Duterte said.

He said he does not mind if the Commission on Human rights will again scrutinize him for possible violations as he intends to make the city free of criminals like these.

“If you are really doing inhuman act, I will surely catch you and I will not give you human rights. You don’t deserve it. I will treat you as an animal. So let me reiterate my warning to all, you do that and it will be at the expense to your life…” Duterte said.

Duterte also appealed to the children not to talk or go with strangers.

“Only go with those your parents told you will be fetching you from school. If a person is there telling you that your parents have asked him to fetch you, don’t go even if you know that person. It’s easy to pretend to be a relative,” Duterte said in vernacular.

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on October 24, 2011.

• Like 6
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• Baywak

• smokey

• Stranded Shipscook

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair question- but my answer is more based on my personal views than on being an ex lawyer. When Dutertes son pulled over a bus that disobeyed a traffic light and pistol whipped the driver i came out

It may seem good, and it has an effect, but i worry about the future. When will it stop ? Where will it stop ? What if times change ? In this questions i always like to use the famous phrase of Past

So...vigilantism is OK...provided it is led by a "fair" and educated person?   Latin American and Southeast Asian history is full of such "benevolent" dictators, who thought they were doing the "ri

Posted Images

rainymike

If I could, I would give the man my vote.

Yes, I believe in human rights and due process, but I also believe in justice and not the type of insanity that so dominates American law today.

• Like 2
Headshot

So Ian...as a lawyer...how do you feel about the way Duterte goes around the law to mete out his own justice to criminals? Do you like his style of summary trial and execution? I'm really curious, since you have spoken out against sentiments of vigilantism so often here on the forums.

liquido

I have nothing but respect for Mr Duterte..So much more discipline being displayed there in Davao unlike most places in the RP..There was a private Korean club that was allowing smoking and when officials tryed to get in the club they were stopped at the door.Good old Mr Duterte got wind and closed the place down..Long live Mr Duterte

• Like 1
Davaoeno

So Ian...as a lawyer...how do you feel about the way Duterte goes around the law to mete out his own justice to criminals? Do you like his style of summary trial and execution? I'm really curious, since you have spoken out against sentiments of vigilantism so often here on the forums.

Fair question- but my answer is more based on my personal views than on being an ex lawyer. When Dutertes son pulled over a bus that disobeyed a traffic light and pistol whipped the driver i came out very strongly against it- and said that his father would probably be ashamed of him- because altho being very strong on law and order the father has always come across as being fair. And that is the reason that he has so much support- not because he cleaned up the town- but more so because he did it with a fair hand. When his daughter publicly punched the sherrif who was rushing to destroy peoples homes without a chance for her to calm the situation down and to prevent needless bloodshed i came out strongly in support of her.

Do I believe in the Rule of law and natural justice- yes, I do. Do I believe that anyone who harms a child should be summarily executed if it is obvious beyond a reasonable doubt that they are guilty ? yes I do ! Have I ever hurt anyone physically in my life ? No I havent. Am I capable of inflicting serious harm or death on someone who hurt my child or wife? I dont have the slightest doubt that i am. My attitude on the matter changed when i had children of my own. Of course I do worry about an innocent person being killed or even hurt . If the mob had their way then Bergen and his gf would have been lynched at high noon in Cebu, and Ian Griffith and Santos would be hanging from the next tree also. The great unwashed here have little respect for law and order and the rule of law and get easily aroused by the media - who go out of their way to create such mob mentality. I see that in some ways this is a very lawless society here and needs a very firm hand at the helm.

And no matter what ones thoughts are on the matter you have to admit one thing- Dutertes methods work !! Crime in Davao-especially serious crime - has been greatly reduced.

• Like 8
Headshot

So...vigilantism is OK...provided it is led by a "fair" and educated person?

Latin American and Southeast Asian history is full of such "benevolent" dictators, who thought they were doing the "right" thing by summarily executing anybody they saw as "bad" for their society. Almost always, these guys have ended up getting a dose of the same justice they applied.

While I will not argue with the premise that the Davao area seems much safer for the average person now than is was when Papa Duterte first took over as mayor, I have to think that this type of rule is a very slippery slope indeed. Those who would disagree the good mayor was "fair" in his judgements...are probably no longer living in Davao...if they are still living at all.

Protecting your own (wife and children) is much different than what Duterte has been doing. Unlike you, I have killed people, and I truly hope I NEVER have to do that again...but I, too, would not hesitate for a heartbeat to protect my wife and children from harm. I would use whatever means is at hand to eliminate the threat.

At the same time, I do NOT support vigilantism (in any form) and never will. With the justice system here what it is, I am actually glad there is no capital punishment. If there was, the dangers presented by an incompetent justice system and general prejudice against foreigners would make this place totally untenable for those of us who live here.

• Like 7
A_Simple_Man

Perhaps it is my love of Western novels but I see 'old' Dutertes as a modern day Wild Bill Hickok or Paladin (Have Gun Will Travel) and it was these kind of people who made the west safe for democracy. Maybe the old mayor sees himself the same way. There seems to be a place and time for everything and this is still his time. Others will be unlikely to fill his boots.

Democracy is, in general terms, government of the people. So long as the majority of fair minded people support Dutertes then let him do what he does.

• Like 1
AlooGobi

The first impulse is to think yeah hes doing a good thing,but a line has been crossed and a mine field of possibilities opens up and once you start ,its always easy to justify another step and a little bit more

• Like 1
Stranded Shipscook

It may seem good, and it has an effect, but i worry about the future. When will it stop ? Where will it stop ? What if times change ?

In this questions i always like to use the famous phrase of Pastor Niemueller about the inactivity of German Intellectuals in the rise of the Nazi empire.

First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

That speaks more than 1000 words.

Replace any blue word with the word you think about. Say for example:

Communists= criminals,

Trade unionists= political opposition,

Jews= Foreigners

Edited by CATMAN
  • Like 7
lazydays

I see it in a much simpler way;

If you abide by the laws, Davao City welcomes you, if you involve yourself in criminal activity, you will not be tolerated, period.

• Like 4
lazydays

It may seem good, and it has an effect, but i worry about the future. When will it stop ? Where will it stop ? What if times change ?

In this questions i always like to use the famous phrase of Pastor Niemueller about the inactivity of German Intellectuals in the rise of the Nazi empire.

First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

That speaks more than 1000 words.

Replace any blue word with the word you think about. Say for example:

Communists= criminals,

Trade unionists= political opposition,

Jews= Foreigners

With respect Guenther thats a totally different scenario.

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Davao is it your hope that Davao becomes more like Canada someday?

political-pictures-canada-nice.jpg

• Like 1
SkyMan

I see it in a much simpler way;

If you abide by the laws, Davao City welcomes you, if you involve yourself in criminal activity, you will not be tolerated, period.

I agree. You can live in Cebu or other area of the Philippines and be afraid of the criminals or you can live in Davao where the criminals are afraid. I can see that as a better place to be, unless I were a criminal of course.

• Like 4
Headshot

With respect Guenther thats a totally different scenario.

Is it? Anyone who thinks they will not be affected by extra-judicial methods can justify them in exactly the same way as you just did. You don't find out that it isn't different until it is too late for you.

• Like 1