Collapsible Batons, Legal Or Not?

Greetings,

I'm looking at my various options for self-defense for my next trip there in a few months. Leyte is "generally safe", but I'd like something to fend off stray dogs since we'll be visiting every corner of Leyte to take photos.

I have a friend I chat with on IRC. Her dad is PNP in Cebu. I showed her the picture of steel baton asking if that sort of thing was legal. Her father said it wasn't if it's made of steel. Whether this is the definitive correct answer or not, I can't say. I am just interested in other people's opinions on the matter. The wood batons just aren't as handy.

Thank you,

Paul S.

I have wondered about this in the past also, but never really looked further in to it.

There was a thread on this subject a while ago. If I remember correctly, they are illegal. As Carmelo replied, the dogs here are of no major threat and are more scared of you than agressive. The vast majority of dogs here are small-medium anyway! As a safety net, just carry a small portion of pork adobo. LOLOLOL

mrphyjammusashi

You can buy the batons at mall department stores in the Philippines. Knives of all sorts, including Balisong and switchblades, or automatics, as the Filipionos call them, are also available in department stores. A good knife is never a bad idea.

There was a thread on this subject a while ago. If I remember correctly, they are illegal. As Carmelo replied, the dogs here are of no major threat and are more scared of you than agressive. The vast majority of dogs here are small-medium anyway! As a safety net, just carry a small portion of pork adobo. LOLOLOL

btw, there are dogs that has this "brain disease" and are "mentally retarded" that are very much aggressive..."erong boang" as we call it..

you can easily identify such dog..they see and attack you and ran as fast as you can..even if you hit them..they still attack..they have no

feeling of pain...

but these are not common though...good luck.. :(

mrphyjammusashi

Every where I went in the Philippines I brought a baton and a knife. My Filipina also carried a knife. A good way to carry a baton is in a bookbag or knapsack, such as in the front pocket of the bag, so that the bag itself can be immediately swung by its straps from a single shoulder position, hence making a weapon of the bag itself.

• 1 month later...
Jim Sibbick
Greetings,

I'm looking at my various options for self-defense for my next trip there in a few months. Leyte is "generally safe", but I'd like something to fend off stray dogs since we'll be visiting every corner of Leyte to take photos.

I have a friend I chat with on IRC. Her dad is PNP in Cebu. I showed her the picture of steel baton asking if that sort of thing was legal. Her father said it wasn't if it's made of steel. Whether this is the definitive correct answer or not, I can't say. I am just interested in other people's opinions on the matter. The wood batons just aren't as handy.

Thank you,

Paul S.

Hello Paul

Get yourself a bolo and strap it on like the locals do!

Regards: Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings,

Thank you,

Paul S.

Hey Paul !

Well, i can understand if u are afraid of dogs (i love dogs myself but i can

poor doggies. why use a baton? they wont attack you if they sense you are someone to be afraid of or respected. maybe you should instead try to exude authority when you get near them. that would be better don't you think? :rolleyes:

btw, there are dogs that has this "brain disease" and are "mentally retarded" that are very much aggressive..."erong boang" as we call it..

you can easily identify such dog..they see and attack you and ran as fast as you can..even if you hit them..they still attack..they have no

feeling of pain...

I've never see one or those. All dogs here are scared to death of me. The was a pair of Siberian huskies that were owned by the owner of my boarding house, so the lived on the room. At first I could pet the male, but them I looked into his eyes (the fight look), and after that he would always ty to attack me. I would just slap or punch him away. The female was always scared of me. But the puppies are friendly... by the way the pppies are for sale. pm me and i'll give you the contact number. Apparently, its not too hot here for siberian huskies. I think, maybe. I heard the female got heatstroke though.

For your walks just get a nice cane or walking stick. I am sure that would be good for defense!

AND LEGAL! :rolleyes: