Locked Up Abroad

Stranded Shipscook

That's not it. Here's how it works.

You live with his wife and everybody knows it. All the neighbors know.

The ex goes to the fiscal office and has his wife (and maybe you) charged with adultery.

There is no cost involved in him doing this.

She (and maybe you) are served with papers.

You must go to court and defend yourself.

This takes maybe months or even years.

Each court hearing costs the ex husband nothing.

But they cost you and yours maybe 5,000 ~ 10,000 pesos for a lawyer etc.

You will almost certainly not win but probably the case will be dismissed, and that will cost YOU between 20,000 and xxx,000 pesos.

So, what the ex really wants is a few pesos to convince him to drop charges, go away and leave you alone.

Got it?

The only escape is to avoid accepting the papers being served (hide).

Flee the country.

Give the ex husband ten grand or so and have him sign an affidavit that he will not return.

KonGC

technically correct, except for the very last part. The husband can NOT waive or sign affidavits to leave you alone, as its a public crime. the only correct way is to annul the marriage, with the agreement of the husband certainly possible.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KennyF

• Stranded Shipscook

• tiger31

• miles-high

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw almost all of that episode. I thought it was kind of funny the way the Brit thought (early in the episode---before he got into some bribery, too) that bribing a public official (a police office

Smokey is right. Its all about the money. If that had been a Filipino man instead of a foreigner there would not be any charges filed. All over the Philippines adultery is being done and it is excepte

all i'm really waiting for is for one of you guys from the forum to end up on this show   so i can get an autographed copy of the DVD

Stranded Shipscook

so out of the hundreds of thousands of phillipino men who are currently committing adultery actually get put in jail .the answer is proberly not a lot .lots of phillipino men callin the kettle black as they say ,most phillipina women except that sooner or later there husbands will do the dirty .its seems its ok for the guys to do it but soon as the wife decides to stray he crys wolf.and your right it doesnt cost him anything if the guilty are stupid enough to sit in his back yard.but if they move well away thats where it hurts his pocket coz he then has to find them which costs a whole bunch of money.

Correctly observed. It has to do with the old fashioned macho image. We "softy" westerners from the post "womans lib" generation are not able to understand this.

Last night I was watching National Geo channels "Locked Up Abroad"

I keep this episode recorded on my DVR to remind me to stay away from married Filipina. There are at least 3 other episodes about the Philippines dealing with kidnappings by Abu Sayyaf, including a group kidnapped in Malaysia and brought to the Philippines. There is also an episode about a visiting businessman who was kidnapped by a psychotic taxi driver in Manila and tortured.

While these incidents are rare and might dissuade people from visiting, the shows give some knowledge to avoid being the subject of a future show.

Side note: From an American perspective, there might be funny connotations to know that Locked Up Abroad is broadcasted in the UK as Banged Up Abroad! :rolleyes:

Hiroki

Edited by Tonosama
  • Like 1
dablindfrog

Exactly, like Kenny said, don't sahck up with a married woman in general and a Filipina especially.

sorry for the harsh answer but i've had it with your narrow mindedness, you're saying that a woman doesn't deserve a 2nd chance, well done pal! you're a standup guy aren't you?

is it those thousands of ladie's fault if the system in phils is fecked up?

Most Filipinas I meet here in Europe are DODGY! The good ones are at home.

Edited by Zamora
tom_shor

sorry for the harsh answer but i've had it with your narrow mindedness, you're saying that a woman doesn't deserve a 2nd chance, well done pal! you're a standup guy aren't you?

is it those thousands of ladie's fault if the system in phils is fecked up?

Maybe she does deserve it. The question is Are you willing to spend 7 years in a Philippine prison for trying to give it to her?

Because fecked up or not that is what you risk.

• Like 1

I'm sure that the law in the Philippines used to OK a man having an affair, but it was illegal for the woman to do the same.

In other words, a woman couldnt take legal action against a straying husband, whereas he could do so.

Basically, the woman was the mans property.

It certainly isnt worth getting involved with a married, or was-married woman.

• Like 1

Smokey is right. Its all about the money. If that had been a Filipino man instead of a foreigner there would not be any charges filed. All over the Philippines adultery is being done and it is excepted as normal.

• Like 2
Wombat No More

so out of the hundreds of thousands of phillipino men who are currently committing adultery actually get put in jail .the answer is proberly not a lot .lots of phillipino men callin the kettle black as they say ,most phillipina women except that sooner or later there husbands will do the dirty .its seems its ok for the guys to do it but soon as the wife decides to stray he crys wolf.and your right it doesnt cost him anything if the guilty are stupid enough to sit in his back yard.but if they move well away thats where it hurts his pocket coz he then has to find them which costs a whole bunch of money.

Adultery cannot be committed by the husband; it is a crime committed by the wife and her paramour

The Revised Penal Code defines “adultery” in Article 333 as follows:
“Adultery is committed by any married woman who shall have sexual intercourse with a man not her husband and by the man who has carnal knowledge of her knowing her to be married, even if the marriage be subsequently declared void. Adultery shall be punished by prision correccional in its medium and maximum periods.”

The medium period of the penalty for adultery is from 2 years, 4 months and 1 day to 4 years and 2 months imprisonment. The maximum period is from to 4 years, 2 months and 1 day to 6 year imprisonment.

What is concubinage?

On the other hand, the Revised Penal Code defines and penalizes “concubinage” in Article 334 as follows:
“Any husband who shall keep a mistress in the conjugal dwelling, or shall have sexual intercourse, under scandalous circumstances, with a woman who is not his wife, or shall cohabit with her in any other place, shall be punished by prision correccional in its minimum and medium periods.”

Prision correccional ranges from a minimum of six months and one day up to a maximum of six years.

The definition above can be broken down this way. Concubinage is committed by a man in several ways:

(1) By keeping a mistress in the conjugal dwelling; OR

(2) By having sexual intercourse under scandalous circumstances with a woman who is not his wife; OR

(3) By cohabiting with her in any other place.

Why is concubinage difficult to prove in court?

I think you will agree with me that there are very few men who would dare to bring or allow his mistress to live in the conjugal dwelling. Not unless of course if the wife allows it for whatever reason …

As to number (2) above, an adulterous affair by its nature is done secretively; a man and his paramour cannot be expected to have sexual intercourse under scandalous circumstances.

Now, number (3) above. If you talk to lawyers as to filing a case for concubinage, they will ask you for evidences to prove cohabitation (receipts for the apartment for example where the man and mistress are living, receipts for Meralco, PLDT, etc, affidavits of eyewitnesses that the man and mistress are really cohabiting, etc.)

If the evidence merely proves that the husband is having an extra-marital affair, that will not necessarily mean that he can be convicted of concubinage. If the mistress gets pregnant and gives birth, can that be used as evidence for concubinage against the husband? Again, please take note of how concubinage is committed as I discussed under numbers (1) up to (3). The pregnancy is not necessarily proof of cohabitation.

Inequalitites in the law and discrimination against women

It is clear that the provisions of the Revised Penal Code are stacked against the woman. If she commits even just one case of adultery, she, along with the paramour, can be immediately charged criminally. But the husband who commits numerous acts of marital infidelity cannot be sued by his wife for adultery (since under Article 333, adultery is a crime committed by the wife and her paramour). The philandering husband must be sued under Article 334 for concubinage. The problem is, concubinage is much more difficult to prove in court.

Since concubinage is difficult to prove in court, it is better to file a case of psychological violence under RA 9262

Republic Act 9262 or the "Anti-Violence Against Women and their Children Act of 2004” has now come to the rescue of women. Philandering husbands can now be charged criminally even for just ONE incident of marital infidelity under the “psychological violence” provision of RA 9262.

RA 9262 defines psychological violence as “acts or omissions causing or likely to cause mental or emotional suffering of the victim such as but not limited to intimidation, harassment, stalking, damage to property, public ridicule or humiliation, repeated verbal abuse and marital infidelity. It includes causing or allowing the victim to witness the physical, sexual or psychological abuse of a member of the family to which the victim belongs, or to witness p*ornography in any form or to witness abusive injury to pets or to unlawful or unwanted deprivation of the right to custody and/or visitation of common children.”

The penalty for "psychological violence" is a minimum of six years up to twelve years of imprisonment. The maximum penalty is imposed if the violence is committed by the intimate partner against the woman when she is pregnant or in the presence of the common children.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

all i'm really waiting for is for one of you guys from the forum to end up on this show

so i can get an autographed copy of the DVD

• Like 2
CardiacKid

Just in case you are interested, several torrent sites have that episode.

Smokey is right. Its all about the money. If that had been a Filipino man instead of a foreigner there would not be any charges filed. All over the Philippines adultery is being done and it is excepted as normal.

what if the philippina was married to an american and he screwed and went home and left her and the kid in rp to fend for them selves. do you think the authorities would be anxious to prosecute her for adultrey? If so ,then perhaps i should book seperate rooms when i come to vist her in a few months , not quite what i had in mind !! :thumbsup:

what if the philippina was married to an american and he screwed and went home and left her and the kid in rp to fend for them selves. do you think the authorities would be anxious to prosecute her for adultrey?

It's the husband who lays the charges Mandala, not the cops.

So I guess you should be OK.

KonGC

• Like 1

I'm not sure why people are so worried about bad publicity, why sweep it under the carpet and keep those rose colored glasses on? In Australia we often have those ghastly crime documentary's on that show some of the most horrific murders that have happened here over the years, sometimes these are shown in the prime of the tourist season but people should be able to make up there own minds. Not every Aussie is a mad backpacker murderer, only 2 or 3 have been - it's better for the truths to be known. Same with the Philippines, why hide the dark side?

I had to get a copy from Isohunt to see what this was all about anyway and I have watched a few of the other episodes on the Philippines but this was a very interesting one as it was dealing with the local authorities and not kidnappers etc. The most horrific part was when they were in jail (she was pregnant) and had to sleep with rats etc just after they were going to throw her in with all the crazy men but the worst part was the policeman taking the guy outside to show him the blood and guts of a man he just arrested and shot his brains out so he could extort money off the brit and could go kill the husband. This shows the level of corruption that goes on in this country and as much as I like it there, there is a very dark side to the place. I will be even more careful with the police there now, not that I would expect a lot to be that bad but it goes to show you can't trust the officials there.

Edited by jme
miles-high

It's the husband who lays the charges Mandala, not the cops.

So I guess you should be OK.

KonGC

Exactly...

Unlike common law countries, some crimes in the Philippines are what Germans call “antragsdelikt” in that the offender cannot be prosecuted without a complaint by the victim (or her parents/relatives, etc.), or by the husband in this case…

This antragsdelikt would make it easier to ask the “restitution” payments ( ;) ) from the alleged offender, under certain circumstances…

:thumbsup: