Locked Up Abroad

liquido

Last night I was watching National Geo channels "Locked Up Abroad"..This young Brit guy meets a filipina here in the RP and falls in love with her.The girl has 2 kids and is seperated from her husband,the husband is living with his GF..Meanwhile the Brit gets this girl pregnant.The seperated jealous husband finds out and trys to extort $10,000 from the Brit and the Brit says screw you.Maybe halfway through her pregnancy she and the young Brit guy gets arrested here by the police for Adultery..Yes Adultery..It looked like the hubby had some money..They get tossed in jail..They find out the so called crime is punishable with a 7 to 14 year prison sentence and his embassy can do nothing for him..The couple was able to come up with bail money and somehow they got through immigration and were able to fly to England... Regretfully she had to leave her 2 kids behind.They now have a baby girl and the wife was granted a humanities type of visa from England.When they were out on bail the girl told the Brit guy to leave the country so he could save himself but being a standup guy he said he would never leave her like that...He was so appalled by the corruption here..So I guess this could be a warning to someone out there!

Edited by liquido
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KennyF

• Stranded Shipscook

• tiger31

• miles-high

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw almost all of that episode. I thought it was kind of funny the way the Brit thought (early in the episode---before he got into some bribery, too) that bribing a public official (a police office

Smokey is right. Its all about the money. If that had been a Filipino man instead of a foreigner there would not be any charges filed. All over the Philippines adultery is being done and it is excepte

all i'm really waiting for is for one of you guys from the forum to end up on this show   so i can get an autographed copy of the DVD

This has come up on LinC in the past.

Be aware that if you as a guy are living with a married Philippina you can be charged by the absent husband with adultery.

It does not matter one bit how long ago they split, why they split or what his situation is.

He simply goes to the fiscal office and tells them that you are living with his wife and has you charged.

And it cost him nothing to do that.

IT"S NOW UP TO YOU TO DEFEND YOURSELF.

Be doubly warned.

KonGC

SkyMan
So I guess this could be a warning to someone out there!

Exactly, like Kenny said, don't sahck up with a married woman in general and a Filipina especially.

Stand up guy,The Brit.Nice one.

Very bad publicity for the R.P..

Does the R.P. ever get any good publicity?I never see any.

If this continues,and I see no reason for a change,how can this country compete w/T-land,Cambodia,even Vietnam for tourists that want to visit or Ex-pats wanting to maybe live here?I didnt know this law existed b4 I got here,WHOA!!!

This law along with the new proposed gun-law are going to keep many away.The new gun law says you may shoot to kill in your own home.OK,but how many Ex-pats could get set-up by being lured somewhere w/cash in their pockets,set-up to get robbed,get shot/killed ,robbed and the culprit says:"I was defending my home,life and property.".From the big,bad foreigner ex-pat.this is bad,bad,bad not good,at all.Ex-pats,Be careful about whose invitations you accept,for starters.

I am pro-self defense too!

This story sounds like a recent thread sort of: Wasn't there a guy that posted recently that his Filipina GF in UK was married..and that her Hubby in the PI said he would make it hard for her to get a divorce..kids involved?

Sounds like an interesting episode of Locked up Abroad:

l'll have to check it out.

Well, that show always give you the chills. Most of the stories are about drug mules and there are several episodes that happened in the Philippines.

drug mules, kidnap victims...

The episode about adultery though is kinda unique.

InternetTough

I saw almost all of that episode. I thought it was kind of funny the way the Brit thought (early in the episode---before he got into some bribery, too) that bribing a public official (a police officer) was something just unthinkable to do, but getting a married (but not to him) mother of two pregnant was nothing at all. The show tried to make him out to be some kind of ramrod straight man of honor. No one in that triangle was any great shakes.

• Like 5

Just shows you the problems that can arise if you do not take the time and responsibility to understand the laws on the lands you choose to visit. I felt a twinge of empathy for the guy but also thought he was a bit naive and thinking obviously with the wrong head. Prior to his arrival he had numerous red flags! She told him she was married, husband was abusive, separated, two kids, no divorce in the Philippines and was trying to save for an annulment but it was very expense! I would have thought even the most desperate of men would have stepped back and investigated what he was getting into.

I think all foreigners need to be required to watch that episode prior to coming here. Bundle it with a few more misconceptions of the western mindset and novice mistakes, call it Philippines 101! Don't leave home without it!

The truly sad part is that, she is now a fugitive and probably can not return or see her kids again without paying the piper!

• Like 1
Stranded Shipscook

The Op is a little confusing, i try to set it a little straight-

Part a handles the CRIME of adultery/cohabitation of one person to another, be warned, it is still a crime here and the consequences are as described. This also applies for husbands having girlfriends or playing with other woman, they can be prosecuted.

On the other hand nobody would think about this in an Islamic country either, correct ? or in the USA, where a jealous husband could also shoot the person, since private firearms are legal. Crime of passion, the police blotters worldwide are full of it.

The second problem is that he escaped bail, which is an offense as well, so he may not return to the Philippines anymore either.

Edited by CATMAN
Headshot

On the other hand nobody would think about this in an Islamic country either, correct ? or in the USA, where a jealous husband could also shoot the person, since private firearms are legal. Crime of passion, the police blotters worldwide are full of it.

A bolo (or other sharp instrument) works just as well in countries where firearms are only available to criminals and police. The blotters are full of that too. However, this case was more about extortion than it was about jealousy. In the end...it is a good lesson to everybody to KNOW the person you are with, and to KNOW the laws of the country where you are living. Failure to do either could really put you in jeopardy.

why do phillipino men bother to try and put there wifes in jail and waste lots of money .its not gonna bring her back is it .only thing they gonna get out of it is satisfaction with the risk of be alienated from the kids its a high price to pay for a bit of satisfaction.

why do phillipino men bother to try and put there wifes in jail and waste lots of money .its not gonna bring her back is it .only thing they gonna get out of it is satisfaction with the risk of be alienated from the kids its a high price to pay for a bit of satisfaction.

That's not it. Here's how it works.

You live with his wife and everybody knows it. All the neighbors know.

The ex goes to the fiscal office and has his wife (and maybe you) charged with adultery.

There is no cost involved in him doing this.

She (and maybe you) are served with papers.

You must go to court and defend yourself.

This takes maybe months or even years.

Each court hearing costs the ex husband nothing.

But they cost you and yours maybe 5,000 ~ 10,000 pesos for a lawyer etc.

You will almost certainly not win but probably the case will be dismissed, and that will cost YOU between 20,000 and xxx,000 pesos.

So, what the ex really wants is a few pesos to convince him to drop charges, go away and leave you alone.

Got it?

The only escape is to avoid accepting the papers being served (hide).

Flee the country.

Give the ex husband ten grand or so and have him sign an affidavit that he will not return.

KonGC

• Like 1

so out of the hundreds of thousands of phillipino men who are currently committing adultery actually get put in jail .the answer is proberly not a lot .lots of phillipino men callin the kettle black as they say ,most phillipina women except that sooner or later there husbands will do the dirty .its seems its ok for the guys to do it but soon as the wife decides to stray he crys wolf.and your right it doesnt cost him anything if the guilty are stupid enough to sit in his back yard.but if they move well away thats where it hurts his pocket coz he then has to find them which costs a whole bunch of money.

smokey

so out of the hundreds of thousands of phillipino men who are currently committing adultery actually get put in jail .the answer is proberly not a lot .lots of phillipino men callin the kettle black as they say ,most phillipina women except that sooner or later there husbands will do the dirty .its seems its ok for the guys to do it but soon as the wife decides to stray he crys wolf.and your right it doesnt cost him anything if the guilty are stupid enough to sit in his back yard.but if they move well away thats where it hurts his pocket coz he then has to find them which costs a whole bunch of money.

ITS ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY

• Like 1
miles-high
ITS ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY

Or an omerta/vendetta thing?

:coffee: