'A seriously ill society' Hit-run case of Toddler shocks China - and the world

October 18, 2011

A two-year-old girl who was struck by a vehicle in a hit-and-run accident in China was ignored by more than a dozen passers-by as she lay critically injured on the road.

Surveillance footage of the horrifying incident has sparked outrage and disbelief on China’s hugely popular social media sites, where an anguished public debate has broken out about the state of Chinese society.

The footage shows the young girl, named Yueyue, toddling into the path of a van outside her family’s shop in a busy wholesale market in the southern Chinese city of Fosham.

The van hits the girl and momentarily stops, before the driver continues on, crushing the child again beneath his rear wheels.

What unfolds next is arguably even more shocking.

Up to 18 passers-by are seen in the footage ignoring Yueyue as she lies critically injured and bleeding on the road, with several even changing their walking path to veer around her body.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/a-seriously-ill-society-hitrun-case-of-little-yueyue-shocks-china--and-the-world-20111018-1ltv1.html

Wombat No More

October 18, 2011

A two-year-old girl who was struck by a vehicle in a hit-and-run accident in China was ignored by more than a dozen passers-by as she lay critically injured on the road.

Surveillance footage of the horrifying incident has sparked outrage and disbelief on China’s hugely popular social media sites, where an anguished public debate has broken out about the state of Chinese society.

The footage shows the young girl, named Yueyue, toddling into the path of a van outside her family’s shop in a busy wholesale market in the southern Chinese city of Fosham.

The van hits the girl and momentarily stops, before the driver continues on, crushing the child again beneath his rear wheels.

What unfolds next is arguably even more shocking.

Up to 18 passers-by are seen in the footage ignoring Yueyue as she lies critically injured and bleeding on the road, with several even changing their walking path to veer around her body.

http://www.smh.com.a...1018-1ltv1.html

I realise that a lot of Chinese are callous and uncaring in many things but this sort of attitude above is completely unacceptable and to be vehemonously reacted adversely to... the total scum these people above

• Like 1

Wasn't there a similar outcry not long ago with an old guy in America who was hit by a car & again by others following. Bystanders even walked over to look at him.

This comes back to the 'don't get involved' society that is infecting the world. It is always good when you see the other side, like the recent motorbiker trapped under a burning car & bystanders rushing over to lift the car so he could be dragged clear. The world is full of good & bad stories

• Like 3
Davaoeno

I realise that a lot of Chinese are callous and uncaring in many things but this sort of attitude above is completely unacceptable and to be vehemonously reacted adversely to... the total scum these people above

While I have nothing but contempt for the people in the video it is not Chinese people alone who act this way. !!! Watching a 2 year old injured in the street without giong to her aid is no different in my opinion than not attending to a couple of young teenagers lying gunshot on the floor of SM mall !! Or countless other videos and stories showing peoples callous disregard for their fellow man in need. From all over the world.

Prejudice based on race,colour,sex,age etc is still prejudice. I'm not saying you are prejudiced Phil, i guess i'm saying it because at the moment my gf isnt talking to me because i showed her the video and she made a comment about how the Chinese were- which of course led to a big argument ! lol

• Like 3
smokey

Wasn't there a similar outcry not long ago with an old guy in America who was hit by a car & again by others following. Bystanders even walked over to look at him.

This comes back to the 'don't get involved' society that is infecting the world. It is always good when you see the other side, like the recent motorbiker trapped under a burning car & bystanders rushing over to lift the car so he could be dragged clear. The world is full of good & bad stories

dang we knew you would have to find a story about if its bad here its worst there... dude people are people some are great humans and some suck... everywhere not just in the usa..

dang we knew you would have to find a story about if its bad here its worst there... dude people are people some are great humans and some suck... everywhere not just in the usa..

....err....I believe that was the point I was making or did you just stop reading when I got to the motorbiker part?

• Like 1

Man, I know they don't like girls being born, but for feck's sake, how can anyone do that to another human, in any country?

This whole world is going to hell in a hand basket. Maybe it is time for the world to end. Perhaps, next time, whatever creatures start a new will appreciate life more. Or, maybe I'm just a dumb ass dreamer.

Man, I know they don't like girls being born, but for feck's sake, how can anyone do that to another human, in any country?

This whole world is going to hell in a hand basket. Maybe it is time for the world to end. Perhaps, next time, whatever creatures start a new will appreciate life more. Or, maybe I'm just a dumb ass dreamer.

2012 ........ tick tock

if you want to see a real eye opener then go visit a disabled childrens orphanage in china, that my friend will break your heart. as i presume you all know that chinese dispise disabled people thinking they are evil or that being disabled you are being "Payback" from some evil deed that your family or ancestor has done, the bloody fools.

if you want to see a real eye opener then go visit a disabled childrens orphanage in china, that my friend will break your heart. as i presume you all know that chinese dispise disabled people thinking they are evil or that being disabled you are being "Payback" from some evil deed that your family or ancestor has done, the bloody fools.

Shows you how different Filipinos are from the Chinese. I once thought about going there to teach them English. The more I learn about the Chinese, the more I am glad I didn't.

Shows you how different Filipinos are from the Chinese. I once thought about going there to teach them English. The more I learn about the Chinese, the more I am glad I didn't.

IMHO, heaven help humanity if China ever rules the world. And I say this having lived in a Chinese household for over 20 years.

• Like 2

Perhaps they thought she was sleeping ?

I watched an elderly aboriginal man lying down on the main street of Perth, while I was having a coffee.

I was in 2 minds, was he drunk & asleep, or was he injured ??

Several people passed him, until one guy shook him, turns out he was so pissed, he decided to have a lie down and sleep.

Coppers came along, but I had to leave.

To an observer, it may have looked very cruel that a group of people were drinking coffee, 10 meters from where a guy layed still.

But, as I have seen drunk & sober aboriginals asleep in the oddest of places on my travels, it doesnt seem so weird/cruel to me.

There is nothing funny about this at all. If you want to discuss a banned subject go to the DK, not here.

part of gods plan..............hehe

Alfred E. Neuman

Like I said from another post, it's universal.. :D I personally saw some canines that are more helpful

Edited by rgc striker