Sign in to follow this  
TheMatrix

Where to find a Goldsmith... to make our wedding rings

TheMatrix

Today, I went shopping for wedding rings and was taken back by the high prices for flimsy quality. Found an acceptable pair of bands, but the price was P100k. I was wondering if I could find a goldsmith jewelry maker to make our own rings. I have my last wedding ring which is 6.3 grams, ( I think we'll melt that sucker), with a few diamonds, plus I have a total of about 15 grams of nugget gold which I have found over several times nugget hunting with the gold detector. Anyway, I have about 21 grams of gold and a few diamonds to turn over to a goldsmith to make us some cool bands.

Does anyone know of any goldsmiths here in Cebu?

Headshot

Some of the jewelry stores in SM have a goldsmith on staff (sometimes the owner), but I'm not sure any of them are doing lost wax castings with old gold. I'm sure you are thinking you can use the gold and diamonds you already have and save money, but custom castings and settings are probably not going to be cheap...even if you can find a good goldsmith to do it here. Most of the rings for sale here are made elsewhere. Good luck on this. I wanted to do the same thing...but I was unable to find a good goldsmith.

Edited by Headshot

tonny

If you come to Ormoc can show you two places the one the guy is good gold smith and cheap the other more tools probably more expensive but i am sure cheaper here than in Cebu.

• Like 1

thebob

The ground floor of "Our Place" has sized rings and mended gold chains for me. He also sells goldsmithing supplies.

I'd try there!

Alfred E. Neuman

i am a semi-retired employer of goldsmiths. Your 21 grams of gold will become 15.75grams(same karat of the gold that you have) of wedding ring pair + Php4,000+-for the labor. diamonds optional

• Like 1

TheMatrix

Some of the jewelry stores in SM have a goldsmith on staff (sometimes the owner), but I'm not sure any of them are doing lost wax castings with old gold. I'm sure you are thinking you can use the gold and diamonds you already have and save money, but custom castings and settings are probably not going to be cheap...even if you can find a good goldsmith to do it here. Most of the rings for sale here are made elsewhere. Good luck on this. I wanted to do the same thing...but I was unable to find a good goldsmith.

Thanks Headshot. I figure most of the cost of a wedding set is the actual gold itself and with labor so inexpensive here, we might find a good deal. I actually had my last wife's (14 years ago) ring made by a goldsmith. It was a good experience and would like to try again.

TheMatrix

i am a semi-retired employer of goldsmiths. Your 21 grams of gold will become 15.75grams(same karat of the gold that you have) of wedding ring pair + Php4,000+-for the labor. diamonds optional

Thanks for the head-up regarding the loss of gold. I would have thought someone was cheating me if I didn't know. Are you offering your services? Or, can you recommend a local goldsmith that has experience in making rings?

Headshot

Thanks Headshot. I figure most of the cost of a wedding set is the actual gold itself and with labor so inexpensive here, we might find a good deal. I actually had my last wife's (14 years ago) ring made by a goldsmith. It was a good experience and would like to try again.

It really is a good experience. I made the wedding bands for my first wedding. I was in college and I took a jewelry-making class to learn how to make rings. They were pretty nice, and were unique, with fire opal inlaid in yellow gold. Fire opal was my ex's favorite stone, which was why I used it. Good luck on getting yours made. If you want to get with rgc striker, have Paul send him your email address so he can caontact you. He is a new member, so he can't PM yet, and private info shouldn't be given on the open forum.

J n J

I do not like to say it but,NO.I wouldn't trust a n e one in the P.I. to sell,make or fix any type of expensive jewelry.

I need to get a diamond engagement ring and flat out refuse to buy one in the P.I..You will ,NO DOUBT,get robbed,cheated,scammed somehow,someway.

Example:I looked at one the other day,Asked the quality of the stone,Dealer says V.S.1,"oh yeah?V.S.1 ?",I say...dealer:"yes,sir.".the size of the carbon line inside the stone denoted it couldn't have been anything but the flimsiest of S.I.2....long story short dont do it!

lazydays

Steve, i would suggest a trip to Singapore or HK to get the REAL deal.

SG - Duty Free/or reimbursement at the Airport, not sure about HK.

Edited by lazydays

Alfred E. Neuman

Thanks for the head-up regarding the loss of gold. I would have thought someone was cheating me if I didn't know. Are you offering your services? Or, can you recommend a local goldsmith that has experience in making rings?

i can call my workers anytime if you wish to work on your rings. When you meet me you will know the standard and quality and workmanship. dont want to further elaborate since jewelers here have a bad reputation.

TheMatrix

i can call my workers anytime if you wish to work on your rings. When you meet me you will know the standard and quality and workmanship. dont want to further elaborate since jewelers here have a bad reputation.

Awesome! Look forward to seeing what you can do. Since you're a new member, I can't send you a private message, but I will ask System Admin (Paul), to forward my email/phone info to you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Davaoeno

You dont say what happens to the other 5 grams of gold ? I assume Steve gets that back in a lump ?

TheMatrix

You dont say what happens to the other 5 grams of gold ? I assume Steve gets that back in a lump ?

Good question, but I think somehow it is lost in the smelting process or maybe the grinding, polishing steps. But, I would like to be sure also. Anyone know?

easy44

Have a look at Suarez Bros., located at the lower ground floor of SM. Not sure if they do custom stuff, but think they probably do. They have been around for a long time and do most of the graduation rings for the local colleges.

Alfred E. Neuman

It is part of the cost in shaping the gold, my rate is 25% of the total weight(thus the 5 grams will be mine). Others charge 10%, the others 40% etc... You just calculate the total cost. That is why most stores charge by the gram average Php2,500 for 14karats even if the unshaped 14karats value is only 1,300+-(i will be hated for this).

Headshot

Good question, but I think somehow it is lost in the smelting process or maybe the grinding, polishing steps. But, I would like to be sure also. Anyone know?

You do lose gold in the grinding/polishing process. How much is lost depends on how good the casting was. A goldsmith can recover some of this lost gold, but not all. In the casting process, there will be a sprew (the little tube that the gold flows down to get into the cast, but that gold can be recovered. Of course the material from the first sprew will be remelted for use in the second ring unless both rings are cast at the same time. I hadn't even thought about the goldsmith taking a "cut" in gold. That would be unusual in the US, but maybe it's common here.

Edited by Headshot

Alfred E. Neuman

You can watch the process in my workshop yourself so that you will understand where the 5 grams will go

Paul

This is a bit closer to advertising on this site than I would like. This thread will now come to an end.