Don’t let them take you for a ride!

On one of my first trips I just got out (without paying) and told them to f themselves when I realized they were trying to screw me, taking me on a slow route. I wouldn't do that now though after living here off and on for a few years but I would also probably not get into that situation either now.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• sngbm87

• Martwain

• Experienced

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A taxi survival guide. It is not mine but was taken from a local blog that I follow. It is very readable and is full of relevant advise.   http://www.marketman...-you-for-a-ride  

I am heading for the PI's again to visit the wife's family. This experience will be marred by having to deal with taxi drivers near tourist areas. As a group they are a PIA, probably responsible for r

never been thru this.............

Posted Images

I do that only to cab drivers who drive on incoming traffic. Or like it's F1 or something.

Jester

Sounds like you do what most of us do.

There is at least two of us ;)

• 2 weeks later...
sonjack2847

I have had this happen to me only once in 2 years.It was last Friday night. Me and my Gf got a taxi from Ayala to KFC at the back of Fooda on Mango ave. I looked at the meter and it said about 60p so I gave her 100p and got out. When we got into Kfc she told me he wanted 100p I said what did you do she said I gave him the 100 and told him to give me the change he kicked up a little fuss so she told him to FO. I wonder where she heard that, so much for shy Philippinas eh good on her though.

Brucewayne

I live in Tayud, so I have had problems getting a cab before I gave up and just bought a car.

I empathize with you, as I know exactly what you have been through with cabbies here.

A taxi survival guide. It is not mine but was taken from a local blog that I follow. It is very readable and is full of relevant advise.

http://www.marketman...-you-for-a-ride

udonthani

I do that only to cab drivers who drive on incoming traffic. Or like it's F1 or something.

that did actually happen to me once but not in Philippines. I got in the car without checking on how green the driver was - sometimes it can literally be almost their first day in the city, they've never been there before but got a job as a taxi driver straight away.

sometimes you can know how to get around the place better than them even.

this Bangkok driver had just arrived from Isan the previous day, and he just roared off at top speed into a line of oncoming traffic going the wrong way down a one way two lane highway. Scary stuff really, as soon as we'd survived the first 45 seconds and there was less oncoming traffic, I asked him to slow down and pointed him to a spot to stop, so I could get out. I paid him and everything, didn't leave a tip but did wish him luck in his new job.

KennyF

Give me London taxis any day.

Comfortable and fast.

post-4822-0-61910400-1335997602_thumb.jpg

Since 1865, London cab drivers have to have to pass a test called 'The Knowledge' which is so tough that it could take 12 months or more of riding around London on a push bike to learn.

From Wiki....

The Knowledge

The taxicab driver is required to be able to decide routes immediately in response to a passenger's request or traffic conditions, rather than stopping to look at a map, relying on satellite navigation or asking a controller by radio. Consequently, the 'Knowledge' is the in-depth study of a number of preset London street routes and places of interest that taxicab drivers in that city must complete to obtain a license to operate a black cab. It was initiated in 1865, and has changed little since. It is claimed that the training involved ensures that London taxi drivers are experts on London, and have an intimate knowledge of the city.

It is the world's most demanding training course for taxicab-drivers, and applicants will usually need at least twelve 'appearances' (attempts at the final test), after preparation averaging 34 months, to pass the examination.

http://en.wikipedia....e#The_Knowledge

KonGC

• Like 1
M.Baboy

I am heading for the PI's again to visit the wife's family. This experience will be marred by having to deal with taxi drivers near tourist areas. As a group they are a PIA, probably responsible for ruining more trips and deterring returning tourists than anyone in the PI's. At the Fast Ferry terminal when returning from Ormac I gave up, threw in the towel, cried uncle. I am sick to death of hassling with taxi drivers near tourist areas. When I arrive I simply ignore everybody, I walk right by them, I do not make eye contact, I do not answer their questions. I walk down the street one block and hail a passing cab. Works for me.

I will remember this tactic, thank you.
Brucewayne

I always had to remind my wife to be quiet because the drivers always ask her instead of me .

I told her we could go beyond the cluster and get a cab with a lot less hassles and they would be more willing to get us where we wanted to go without a lot of bargaining and such.

I will remember this tactic, thank you.

jake sakic

the complain thing is a problem here, but if you go for it, don't just claim you will call the LTO...tell them that your father in law is a LTO and you will complain to him...Familly tie is the only thing that works here.

Inrealted to taxi but just to show how the system works when using the "proper channel":

I tried to complain to the official site about Smart ripoff (long story short they send a fake date when you register for internet so that you pass the deadline. it's a computer program set for that and that only, so i was in my right to complain and they had a case...if only they wanted to.)

So, the official consumer affair office was actually pretty good they had a process in place that would work, if they were using it that is. they took my complaint, even started the official paper work until they ask me to provide the simcard number and name etc... when i ask why they needed my sim card(as the scam is still a global scale scam used agaisnt any mobile internet subscriber) they said that they will give all of the info to Smart as they would be the one in charge of the [email protected]#[email protected]

There you have it, even the office in charge do not investigate, they instead give the plaintif personal information to the accused so that the accused can decide of the verdict, hourrai!