Don’t let them take you for a ride!

udonthani

Most taxi drivers in Cebu are nice and friendly. They will give you your change back and help you get to a place. Although came across some that ran up a meter to 250 trying to find a location when he said he knew where it was and dropped me off in AS Fortuna. I wouldn't pay the bill cause I was now lost. He tried arguing at Guiseppe's restaurant but I said he's BOOANG and told him to restart and bring me to ayala instead.

He restarted it.

for this one you need to be sure where blame lies. For example, there's two Century hotels in Cebu city, one near Fuente and one in Colon. We were coming from the port in January this year and the girl I was with, who had never been to Cebu before, told him the name of the hotel and in good faith the fellow set off there. During the ride I realised we were going in the wrong direction, and questioned this, he said that its OK we're going there, trust me sir, trust me. I was sceptical and thought what is this is he trying to scam us or what. Only when I saw the sign of the hotel in Fuente a few minutes later was the mystery cleared up. I just laughed and said haha now we both of us know us know there's two Century hotels in Cebu city, let's head to the other one on Palaez street now then. It wasn't his fault. I guess it cost me an extra fifty pesos or so.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• sngbm87

• Martwain

• Experienced

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A taxi survival guide. It is not mine but was taken from a local blog that I follow. It is very readable and is full of relevant advise.   http://www.marketman...-you-for-a-ride  

I am heading for the PI's again to visit the wife's family. This experience will be marred by having to deal with taxi drivers near tourist areas. As a group they are a PIA, probably responsible for r

never been thru this.............

Posted Images

It was EVOO Restobar. I was on my cellphone not paying attention txting and stuff......

I guess you can't blame him entirely cause it was a new place. Although the sign had been up in big GREEN letters for 5 months.

Martwain

I've never had a negative experience with taxis here in Cebu. I have had PLENTY of bad experiences in Manila. So much so that I'm suspicious of every driver when I first get into the car. I had one try to shake me down for more money even when I paid him twice the fare reading on the meter! I thought I was being nice by tipping him well! So when he asked for more pesos I asked him to give me back my tip. He mumbled something and got back in his cab.

udonthani

for stuff like there's two or more of you, and you want a driver to drop you off in one place, and then go somewhere else and drop off the final passenger(s), the driver is within his rights to say ok I'll do it, but I'll restart the meter when I drop the first one off. He isn't within his rights to restart the meter without agreeing to it in advance.

but a driver is also within his rights to refuse a fare, just because he doesn't want to go into a particular area of town at a particular time of day. So when one of you is dropped off at the first location, and then you suddenly spring it on him that you want to go somewhere else completely different he can ask to restart the meter and if you refuse, he's entitled to say OK then, you can get out as well.

SkyMan
for stuff like there's two or more of you, and you want a driver to drop you off in one place, and then go somewhere else and drop off the final passenger(s), the driver is within his rights to say ok I'll do it, but I'll restart the meter when I drop the first one off. He isn't within his rights to restart the meter without agreeing to it in advance.
Yes, but restarting the meter doesn't make him any more money unless the 2nd trip is very short. Restarting just gets him the minimum fair again, but the meter isn't supposed to start adding on until the minimum distance/time has been covered. So, let's say you're taking your gf home and the round trip fair is p150. Restarting the meter should be about p75 each way.
Experienced

Yes, but restarting the meter doesn't make him any more money unless the 2nd trip is very short. Restarting just gets him the minimum fair again, but the meter isn't supposed to start adding on until the minimum distance/time has been covered. So, let's say you're taking your gf home and the round trip fair is p150. Restarting the meter should be about p75 each way.

Sounds logical, but that hasn't been my observation. The meters here start incrementing immediately when the taxi starts rolling. 3.50 PHP every 250M. If the behavior you're describing was in force I could go all the way to Ayala from IT park at the flag drop rate and I can assure you THAT never happens!

Had a wierd experience in Manila last month... got in one of those cabs at Terminal 3 (upstairs) with the funky pachinko-like meters that count down EVERY METER between fare increments. As you can imagine with the taxi running at speed the thing is screaming along which immediately got my attention because it seemed like the increments were adding up pretty fast. When the car slowed in traffic I was able to observe the metered distances and they seemed WAY off...the car was barely moving and the ticker is counting down 123, 122, 121, 120, 119... I started looking at car lengths and it was counting 12-15 meters to go that distance, or 50 meters to cross an intersection... again, only when the cab was creeping along. I complained to the driver but he didn't seem to understand. We started making speed though and when I got to my destination (CCP) I realized the fare was about right so I apologized and gave the guy a nice tip. Maybe this is some kind of "entertainment-oriented" animation and not part of the actual functioning of the meter? Or maybe the metering is inaccurate when moving at slow speeds but on most trips that doesn't make much difference because you spend so much more time (and cover so much more ground) moving quickly??? Anyone else ever notice this behavior?

Headshot

The meters count two things...time and distance. If the traffic is heavy, and it takes longer to get to a destination, the meter reading will be higher than the same taxi traveling the same distance in light traffic. It's really hard to figure out what's going on in the meter just by watching it. If it has a seal and a recent date when it was calibrated, then it is probably accurate. There is a pretty hefty fine for tampering with the seal.

Martwain

It's easy for me to tell if the meter is switched to what I call "turbo mode" after going a short distance (slow, fast -- doesn't matter) check out the meter. Turbo meters will go past 50 pesos so fast it's a joke. I then tell the cabbie to let me out and get another one. This happens about 1/4 of the time for me in Manila. Hasn't happened to me here yet but I don't normally use public transportation here.

Experienced

I had a "turbo mode" meter in Cebu once... I had just gone to Ayala and paid, I think 80, and the meter was already over that and I wasn't even halfway back home. I told the guy his meter was "broken" because I take this route all the time and I know what it costs and in fact I just came this way an hour ago and there was no traffic either time. He smiled knowingly and asked, "how much did you pay for the last trip? I charge you that," and turned the meter off.

Yeah, I should have reported him but I had other things to do that day.

And yes, Headshot, I do understand the time and distance thing... :lee_popcorn:

miles-high

Hmmmm, some people might blame me for being “too nice”, but if it is raining, late at night or no other taxi in sight, I would take it… there is not much difference between PHP100 and 400… give them a break – after all, we are rich foreigners… :lee_popcorn:

Jester

I am heading for the PI's again to visit the wife's family. This experience will be marred by having to deal with taxi drivers near tourist areas. As a group they are a PIA, probably responsible for ruining more trips and deterring returning tourists than anyone in the PI's. At the Fast Ferry terminal when returning from Ormac I gave up, threw in the towel, cried uncle. I am sick to death of hassling with taxi drivers near tourist areas. When I arrive I simply ignore everybody, I walk right by them, I do not make eye contact, I do not answer their questions. I walk down the street one block and hail a passing cab. Works for me.

• Like 2
Headshot

I am heading for the PI's again to visit the wife's family. This experience will be marred by having to deal with taxi drivers near tourist areas. As a group they are a PIA, probably responsible for ruining more trips and deterring returning tourists than anyone in the PI's. At the Fast Ferry terminal when returning from Ormac I gave up, threw in the towel, cried uncle. I am sick to death of hassling with taxi drivers near tourist areas. When I arrive I simply ignore everybody, I walk right by them, I do not make eye contact, I do not answer their questions. I walk down the street one block and hail a passing cab. Works for me.

Sounds like you do what most of us do.

udonthani

the best days for taxi drivers are the ones when they get to buzz around the city and getting lots of short sharp fares. They keep alert then, active. It's good hunting for them. The guys feel good about it. Those are the best days. Much better than the longer drive jobs, even if they make a bit more money maybe.

tokyoman
In a situation where you can not pay due to having to big notes, have anyone tried using pasaload? Would it be accepted?

With a Manila taxi once he accepted chewing gum for the fare as I only had a 1000 peso note