Sign in to follow this  
JoeLansing

Building one to send to Bohol

JoeLansing

I've sent about 5 used Non-Clones to Bohol so far. 4 of them were "all in one" PC's. None of them lasted over 6 months. Out in the mango swamps on squatter land isn't the best place for a PC is all I can figure out. Monitors die, mice eat the motherboard, LCD screens die, on and on. So this time I'm building a clone. I got AMD A4 APU and motherboard. Case. 2 power supplies (1 as a spare). 2 WD Black 320GB hard drives, DVD burner, Multi card reader. Windows 7 HP 64 bit. 4GB of RAM. I'm going to include a Win PE disk that if you put it in the PC and boot from it. It will clone the 2nd hard drive to the 1st. I'll ship it with both drives cloned and bootable, but the 2nd one unplugged. And Log Me In installed on it so I can fix it remotely if possible. Can you think of anything I'm missing? I'm just sick of paying for their DSL every month and still having to pay for phone calls because their PC is dead. I'm willing to send either a UPS, or a Voltage Regulator if needed, but not both. So far the ONLY thing I've sent them that lasted is a Buffalo 54G-HP wireless router with SSID of IsogManuk. 20 years ago I'd already built 3,000 PC's so my skills are decent.. :banghead: Now I mostly do Firewalls, VMware, Cisco, blah, blah. I'd love to move down there and open up a repair shop, but in Sagbayan/Inabanga I'd probably be getting paid in Balut and Tanduay. They have one PC down there now. It only needs XP Pro re-installed. It has a valid sticker on the case, but nobody around there knows how.. :coffee: Anyways, sorry about the rant. Is there anything else I can include to give this bugger a longer life?

- Joe

USMC-Retired

Just order them used PC's at 50 dollars a pop. They have a 6 month warranty and do not break the bank. You will never win sending them computers the way you are.

open pinoy dot com is a great site. I have spent hundreds of thousands pesos with them never had an issue.

Jim in Cebu

Just order them used PC's at 50 dollars a pop. They have a 6 month warranty and do not break the bank. You will never win sending them computers the way you are.

open pinoy dot com is a great site. I have spent hundreds of thousands pesos with them never had an issue.

My guess is that Norseman means opening "openpinoy" (as opposed to opening "pinoy") dot com. The former is a computer website and the latter is a classified ad website (somewhat like craigslist.) [Thanks, Norseman, for the reference -- I wasn't aware of it.]

Regarding Bohol, my wife's family's farm is located in the northern part of the island. Electrical power in the area is horrible! -- Spikes, sags, and outages. Electronics (TV, refrigerator controllers, computers, everything) takes a real beating. At the farm, they run AVRs (automatic voltage regulators) to help limit the damage. (However, AVRs are also electronic or electronic/mechanical and can only take so much before they fail.)

Some UPSs have AVRs built-in, I understand.

If you really want to protect something, you could look at getting a auto battery charger (AC220v > DC12v) to charge an auto battery and then get a DC12v to AC220v inverter to supply the electronics. The auto battery would serve as a huge capacitor to take out voltage spikes, and the battery/inverter would serve as a UPS for low voltage and outages. The inverter needs to generate sine-wave output. Remember to maintain the fluid level in battery. -- Essentially, this is a poor man's UPS/AVR system that can be built and maintained with readily available stuff.

I hope this helps.

BoholoX

I have three clone PCs in the diveshop here in Bohol all of which have a hard life exposed to the sea air, sand and humidity. They are protected by APC UPS with in built regulator so even with our shocking (!) power delivery by BOHECO it's never the electrics that go rather rust on the components. They used to sit on the floor but I've had better reliability by putting them up on desks and covering them with those plastic covers. Seems to lengthen the life of the external USB ports. The PSU fan needs a regular clean out also. I get them made up in Tagb and expect a three year life span with a mother board change in that time.

The Linkys wireless has been faultless for three years and we have a new Globe router just replaced as it went pop after a good 6 years + service.