Sign in to follow this  
squidjerky

What Does It Cost You To Call?

broden

since my wife is on vacation in the RP i'm calling over there now .. that's why i'm thinking of this now it's usually her calling so i don't give it much thought

anyway we buy cards from http://www.cloncom.com/

specifically we get a card called Philippines Saver it's rechargeable .. you can set it to auto recharge if you want but we don't .. amounts 10 20 30 and 50 dollars been using them for quite some time

we usually get 10 bucks it gets us 101 minutes to her moms land line

my wife actually prefers the limited time cards like this or she knows she would stay on the phone far too long and not even realize it

oh and they accept paypal which i like

kanoy
since my wife is on vacation in the RP i'm calling over there now .. that's why i'm thinking of this now it's usually her calling so i don't give it much thought

specifically we get a card called Philippines Saver it's rechargeable .. you can set it to auto recharge if you want but we don't .. amounts 10 20 30 and 50 dollars been using them for quite some time

my wife actually prefers the limited time cards like this or she knows she would stay on the phone far too long and not even realize it

Do they charge a connection fee? is their time done in 3 minute increments? are there any hidden costs? how is the clarity/quality? I know calling land line numbers is cheaper then calling cell phone numbers, he will be calling a cell phone, she has no computer, any idea on the cost to call a cellphone using this card?

Most cards are rechargable, but problem is with most you never know how good the quality os until you buy and use, pay for your trials kind of, looking for cards or other ways for a frind in the states to call here, cheap!!

will forward your info to him as I did the callingcards.com post above.

Edited by kanoy

broden

Do they charge a connection fee? is their time done in 3 minute increments? are there any hidden costs? how is the clarity/quality? I know calling land line numbers is cheaper then calling cell phone numbers, he will be calling a cell phone, she has no computer, any idea on the cost to call a cellphone using this card?

Most cards are rechargable, but problem is with most you never know how good the quality os until you buy and use, pay for your trials kind of, looking for cards or other ways for a frind in the states to call here, cheap!!

here ya go ... we usually use them for one long call or 2 to 3 calls over 2 to 3 days at most .. they work for us better then any other we've tried .. you actually get the time they say you'll get . alot of cards even the recording when you dial will tell you a time amount and you come no where close .. this card isn't that way .. the calls have been as clear or clearer then any other card we've ever used

we've only ever had a hard time connecting with this card once .. that was me and a week ago and i think it ws just a bad storm somewhere between here and there .. when i did get through maybe 30 or 45 minutes later it was clear as a bell

we're always looking for something better so we've tried tons of cards

Recharge Option: Yes

Pinless Dialing: USA - Continental

Rounding: 3 min

Connection Fee: none

Maintenance Fee: 99

liquido

I used these guys when I was back in the states..Very clear..http://www.g3telecom.com/us/Default.aspx

here ya go ... we usually use them for one long call or 2 to 3 calls over 2 to 3 days at most .. they work for us better then any other we've tried .. you actually get the time they say you'll get . alot of cards even the recording when you dial will tell you a time amount and you come no where close .. this card isn't that way .. the calls have been as clear or clearer then any other card we've ever used

we've only ever had a hard time connecting with this card once .. that was me and a week ago and i think it ws just a bad storm somewhere between here and there .. when i did get through maybe 30 or 45 minutes later it was clear as a bell

kanoy

USMC-Retired

Next time call him and have him call you back using Skype or Gizmo. The cost is 1.7 per min going the other way. It is a whole lot cheaper. Or you set up a Skype account and put money on it and give him the password to call you back if he is at a computer with a headset. Lot cheaper and it works really well.

daz

I call the Philippines to my wife for a very affordable price. I have a sim reader that I put into my usb port. I insert my Smart Sim, and I can avail of all the local promos. Unlimited texts etc...

So what I do is subscibe to unlimited calls. I pay 500pesos for 30 days unlimited smart to smart calls. Although they limit each call to 9min 55sec.

I subscribe to the internet service for about 15 usd a month.

I talk for at least 30 min per day. Have a local Smart number where people can call me as if I am in the Philippines. I can send and receive texts. The call quality is excellent.

You can also use a Globe sim if you desire. It also will accept Uk sims. So if you have a calling plan. You can use it where ever there is a broadband connection.

The computer does have to be on though.

This works great for me because at my location in the Philippines there is no internet. So my wife justs calls me or I call her via the Smart network.

Here is a break down of the cost.

(500peso=)10.55 +15.00= USD 25.55

$25.55 / 900+ min = $0.03 per minute

If someone makes lots of calls it is a great service.

Cheers,

Daddy Daz

ashlogcreek

Ok.....let's see if i can say this and keep my sanity: I'm with AT&T

If i'm in the usa, and use my cell phone to call a cell phone in the Philippines

it costs me 25cents per minute IF i have added the $3.99 "calling outside usa" feature

If i'm in the usa , and use my cell phone to call a home"landline" phone in the

Philippines, it costs $1.99 per minute

IF i have added the "Philippines" option, AND i'm in the Philippines, it costs me

$1.99 per minute to talk THERE locally...lol.....AND 50 cents per text message

EITHER way i'm using the same Philippines cell tower to connect.....yea i know....doesn't make much sense.....everyone is greedy.....usa included

You would think it would be the other way around.....but it isn't....it's the way it is.

This is why it's way cheaper, to buy a phone there, or replace sim card...to keep it from being so expensive overall.

Does any of this make sense? lol

IF you take your phone with you to Philippines, keep it cut off as much as possible to keep from being charged fees from text messaging or phone calls.

Edited by ashlogcreek

srfc1

Matt and Troppo are right.SKYPE!!Download for free.NO charges.I once spent 7 hours(dont know why!) on the line to the g/f in Cebu and no cost.Cant beat FREE calls can you???

rodora

trying having a skype account... they have "long distance calls" .. you have a choice of a monthly subscription with alloted minutes , or just minutes consumed.... try going to skype.com

it only takes about five minutes to download.... and you can find the plan that would suit your needs

RogerDuMond
I am assuming with an unlocked phone that a Smart Buddy simcard in the phone while in the U.S. does not do you any good...and would only be useful when you are actually in PH. Correct?

Not true, a GSM phone with a Globe or Smart SIM will work in the US if can pick up a signal from a service such as T-Mobile or any other GSM provider that is within frequency of the phone.

I have a Smart Buddy SIM and use it all the time to send and receive texts from my fiancee in Cebu. I can either have her reload my phone or use a service such as http://www.pldtonline.com/ which is the service that I use. The only downfall is that you can not send or receive calls when the sim is set to international.

It is more cost effective for us to use our Sprint cell phones for outgoing texts at $.20 per text and Smart sim phone for incoming texts at 1 pesos to the texting phone in the Philippines. At 25 pesos per text to the Philippines with the Smart phone on roaming, which is what we were quoted last time we were there, it would be over $.50 per text.

Cary

I use Mabuhay Phone to call my in-laws and not only do I get miles added to my PAL account but they charge me about $.13 to landline and I believe $.17 to cell phone.

goggleye

If you could call a landline - trac fone could be a good deal

the calls to the phils to a landline are the same usage and rate as calls to the US as low as 8 cents a minute if you get the right deal.

i dont have any landline to call only cellular so it doesnt work for me - Nobel calling cards bought online work well

KennyF

Does anyone use Skype.com for texting and calls to Pi.?

I have used skype for 4 yrars. I have three "Skypein" numbers in Australia (Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane) so prople can call me here in RP at my expense and of course I can call from RP to anywhere in the world. $US0.02 (2 cents) a minute either way.

Works well. Answering machine. Call forwarding to my cell if I'm not home etc.

Kenny in Camiguin