Sign in to follow this  
squidjerky

What Does It Cost You To Call?

squidjerky

Ok maybe I am a stupid Kano. I wanted to make a long distance call to the PI. So I called up phone company AT&T. Added long distance to my phone service. Made a call for 32 minutes to touch bases with an ex pat. Next day received a call from AT&T will the bill payer please call AT&T. Called AT&T and the service rep said sir there is no such call on your bill. Few days later got another call from AT&T please call AT&T about strange calls on phone bill. This time was able to pick up before they hung up. I questioned about calls as mentioned in message. Well sir there was only one call. Asked why service rep could not find the call first time I responded. Sir you called AT&T not AT&T long distance. Asked what the problem was and why she was calling. Sir did you know that you are making calls to the Philippines. Yes I said about 20 minutes or so that why I added long distance. Sir you added long distance but not international long distance. Ok so I have seen calling cards and such with over seas rates before. I am thinking how much could this cost. Sir the current rate is $6 plus a minute peak time and $4 plus a minute off peak. Starting to sweat I think to myself ok it is bad but at least I called off peak as I made the call at around 10 P.M. No that is peak time sir. Ok I say how much do I owe. You owe $200 plus. You could hear a pin drop and there was a ringing in my ears for a few seconds. Then she says do you want to add international calling. So I asked how much and she said $5 a month. Then calls would run 17 cents a minute to a land line and 21 cents a minute to a cell phone. So if I had gotten the right plan the first time the call would of cost $5.44 plus the $5 monthly fee. A difference of over $190. The only good point was that I only made one call if I had made several I shudder to think what the cost would of been. I hope no one else makes the same mistake I did. I still can't help thinking that a good amount of my party budget got killed by this call. 200 poor ice cold san miguel soldiers that will never be bought :unsure:

I was wondering what it costs different people in different areas to call the PI from there locations outside of the PI. I was interested in knowing what phone plan you use and what the minute to minute charge is.

Steve
Ok maybe I am a stupid Kano. I wanted to make a long distance call to the PI. So I called up phone company AT&T. Added long distance to my phone service. Made a call for 32 minutes to touch bases with an ex pat. Next day received a call from AT&T will the bill payer please call AT&T. Called AT&T and the service rep said sir there is no such call on your bill. Few days later got another call from AT&T please call AT&T about strange calls on phone bill. This time was able to pick up before they hung up. I questioned about calls as mentioned in message. Well sir there was only one call. Asked why service rep could not find the call first time I responded. Sir you called AT&T not AT&T long distance. Asked what the problem was and why she was calling. Sir did you know that you are making calls to the Philippines. Yes I said about 20 minutes or so that why I added long distance. Sir you added long distance but not international long distance. Ok so I have seen calling cards and such with over seas rates before. I am thinking how much could this cost. Sir the current rate is $6 plus a minute peak time and $4 plus a minute off peak. Starting to sweat I think to myself ok it is bad but at least I called off peak as I made the call at around 10 P.M. No that is peak time sir. Ok I say how much do I owe. You owe $200 plus. You could hear a pin drop and there was a ringing in my ears for a few seconds. Then she says do you want to add international calling. So I asked how much and she said $5 a month. Then calls would run 17 cents a minute to a land line and 21 cents a minute to a cell phone. So if I had gotten the right plan the first time the call would of cost $5.44 plus the $5 monthly fee. A difference of over $190. The only good point was that I only made one call if I had made several I shudder to think what the cost would of been. I hope no one else makes the same mistake I did. I still can't help thinking that a good amount of my party budget got killed by this call. 200 poor ice cold san miguel soldiers that will never be bought :unsure:

I was wondering what it costs different people in different areas to call the PI from there locations outside of the PI. I was interested in knowing what phone plan you use and what the minute to minute charge is.

I use this. Plus you have call logs and you can register phone numbers to call from so there is no pin needed. Plus you can set speed dials.

http://www.ppldt.net

Land Line 14.5

JollyJim

I did almost the same thing, made several short calls then got the phone bill. Yikes! Found out it was costing me $2.48 a minute. $133.00 for less than an hours worth of talk. I signed up for the $5 a month thing and now only 21cents a min. This is with Qwest. Also found out it only costs me 5cents to text on my Qwest cell phone, now thats a good deal.

Aerosick
I did almost the same thing, made several short calls then got the phone bill. Yikes! Found out it was costing me $2.48 a minute. $133.00 for less than an hours worth of talk. I signed up for the $5 a month thing and now only 21cents a min. This is with Qwest. Also found out it only costs me 5cents to text on my Qwest cell phone, now thats a good deal.

We used to use ATT but we quit them and use only phonecards. We get them at the Asian Markets. They have a $5.00 card that they sell discounted for $3.50 and it is good for 40 minutes (9 cents/minute) to a house phone and just under 30 minutes (12 cents/minute) to a cell phone.

We have spare cell phones that we have Smart Buddy simcards for our texting. My sis-in-law gives us a PhP 300 load when we run low and it's good for 2 months before it expires. This keeps our phone numbers active.

Billy

Mailman

When I was back in the States, I would purchase calling cards from http://www.callingcards.com/. The various cards they have specifically for the Philippines averaged about 10

softail
Ok maybe I am a stupid Kano. I wanted to make a long distance call to the PI. So I called up phone company AT&T. Added long distance to my phone service. Made a call for 32 minutes to touch bases with an ex pat. Next day received a call from AT&T will the bill payer please call AT&T. Called AT&T and the service rep said sir there is no such call on your bill. Few days later got another call from AT&T please call AT&T about strange calls on phone bill. This time was able to pick up before they hung up. I questioned about calls as mentioned in message. Well sir there was only one call. Asked why service rep could not find the call first time I responded. Sir you called AT&T not AT&T long distance. Asked what the problem was and why she was calling. Sir did you know that you are making calls to the Philippines. Yes I said about 20 minutes or so that why I added long distance. Sir you added long distance but not international long distance. Ok so I have seen calling cards and such with over seas rates before. I am thinking how much could this cost. Sir the current rate is $6 plus a minute peak time and $4 plus a minute off peak. Starting to sweat I think to myself ok it is bad but at least I called off peak as I made the call at around 10 P.M. No that is peak time sir. Ok I say how much do I owe. You owe $200 plus. You could hear a pin drop and there was a ringing in my ears for a few seconds. Then she says do you want to add international calling. So I asked how much and she said $5 a month. Then calls would run 17 cents a minute to a land line and 21 cents a minute to a cell phone. So if I had gotten the right plan the first time the call would of cost $5.44 plus the $5 monthly fee. A difference of over $190. The only good point was that I only made one call if I had made several I shudder to think what the cost would of been. I hope no one else makes the same mistake I did. I still can't help thinking that a good amount of my party budget got killed by this call. 200 poor ice cold san miguel soldiers that will never be bought :o

Not sure if it is available to you, but I use a calling card called UNI Washington is $5 USA for 40 min, just a suggestion

mattwilkie

My last cell bill was $1200 before leaving the U.K. but now we have wireless landline and internet here. When i head back to the UK for work we will only be using skype. I can top the account up from the UK for my wife and there is free skype available on the 3G mobile network in the UK so hopefully no more suprises :-s

justplainlost

We used to use ATT but we quit them and use only phonecards. We get them at the Asian Markets. They have a $5.00 card that they sell discounted for $3.50 and it is good for 40 minutes (9 cents/minute) to a house phone and just under 30 minutes (12 cents/minute) to a cell phone.

We have spare cell phones that we have Smart Buddy simcards for our texting. My sis-in-law gives us a PhP 300 load when we run low and it's good for 2 months before it expires. This keeps our phone numbers active.

Billy

New guy with question for anyone on Calling and TXTing from U.S. cell to PH cell.

It seems that a good way to minimize cost of calling to PH cell phone is using prepaid phone cards (between $0.10 to $0.17 per minute depending) which is what I've been doing... so I think I'm good there (thanks for the useful posts here on that by the way).

When it comes to TEXTING (from someone that has NEVER sent or received a text message in their life), what is the best way to minimize the cost of texting "TO" the Philippines (assume CEBU) and for texting "FROM" Cebu to the U.S. I'm in the U.S. have been shopping for an unlocked quad (or at least tri) band GSM phone (likely one with GSM, Edge, etc.). I can sign up with any service provider in the U.S.

I am assuming with an unlocked phone that a Smart Buddy simcard in the phone while in the U.S. does not do you any good...and would only be useful when you are actually in PH. Correct?

Thanks!

Steve
I am assuming with an unlocked phone that a Smart Buddy simcard in the phone while in the U.S. does not do you any good...and would only be useful when you are actually in PH. Correct?

Not true, a GSM phone with a Globe or Smart SIM will work in the US if can pick up a signal from a service such as T-Mobile or any other GSM provider that is within frequency of the phone.

I have a Smart Buddy SIM and use it all the time to send and receive texts from my fiancee in Cebu. I can either have her reload my phone or use a service such as http://www.pldtonline.com/ which is the service that I use. The only downfall is that you can not send or receive calls when the sim is set to international.

Edited by Steve

Ken57

Using Cox with the $.99 per month international calling plan and pay .16 per minute to a celll phone in Cebu. It's been a great plan. The best I could ever do with a calling card was about .12 For the extra .04 I don't have the hassle!! Thank you Cox Communications!!

chimellie

I have been using Pingo.com and just started pennytalk.com.

I believe it's 17 cents a minute with Pingo, we like Pingo because it is reliable and clear audio . I can't tell you much about Pennytalk because I just joined them.

justplainlost

Not true, a GSM phone with a Globe or Smart SIM will work in the US if can pick up a signal from a service such as T-Mobile or any other GSM provider that is within frequency of the phone.

I have a Smart Buddy SIM and use it all the time to send and receive texts from my fiancee in Cebu. I can either have her reload my phone or use a service such as http://www.pldtonline.com/ which is the service that I use. The only downfall is that you can not send or receive calls when the sim is set to international.

Thanks Steve!

That is something to consider for sure (at least an excuse to pay way too much for a new phone).

I'll check out the pld link too.

Thanks guys for the other links. I'll try the cards/services you mention.

I don't mind paying a little more for clarity/quality. It is worth is. Having to repeat things can make for a frustrating conversation on both ends...not to mention it burns up what little money you might have saved going on the cheap. Better to pay a couple extra pennies.

Backup card is worldphonecard platinum (ok..but not great...sometimes likes to drop calls). I've tried many cheap ones but call quality for most is poor to terrible and/or they drop calls.

I just tried Noblecom's cheapest of 4 cards (http://www.noblecom.com) $0.089 per minute (I got 144 minutes in 3 calls over 3 days for $20 or $0.1389 per minute on average including taxes/fees with 2 minute increments). That is 2/3rds of the cost of worldphonecard and no drops so far + it has pinless.

TalkLoop (already paid for) will be tried with weekend at $0.165 per minute using local access ($0.195 per minute for toll-free ...ouch) supposedly including taxes/fees. Recommended here i believe. Pinless too. I'm hoping this will be the new fallback.

I had checked into Cox already. I can't get those rates where I live. Best I can do is $0.25 per minute to PH mobile under my grandfathered plan (for which I pay $2.95 per month) or go with the new plan at $3.95 per month, save a penny a minute on my AUZI and Canada calls (from my current plan) and only pay $0.21 per minute on PH mobile calls. I'm sure taxes/fees get added on top of that. Special occasions only for PH mobile calls using Cox I think.

Steve, Bob, Ken, chimellie...Thanks again for all your help!!

misty
The only downfall is that you can not send or receive calls when the sim is set to international.

Smart got a new Smart OFW sim.

What services are covered by the SMART Pinoy SIM?

The SMART Pinoy SIM, when abroad can only do SMS transactions, the voice service will be deactivated once the SIM is activated. Each International Roaming SMS will cost P20.

SMS from the Philippines to the SMART Pinoy SIM will cost only P1 (charged to the sender).

Notes:

Voice service can only be activated within the Philippines.

To activate voice, subs need to turn off the pre-activated roaming service by sending

ROAM OFF to 333.

http://www.smart.com.ph/Corporate/Services...OFWSIM_FAQs.htm

Troppo

Does anyone use Skype.com for texting and calls to Pi.?

edit: Sorry Matt, I didn't see your post.

Anyone else?

Edited by Troppo