Sign in to follow this  
AlbinoPrincess

Ticket Prices From Chicago To Cebu

AlbinoPrincess

I was hoping to maybe visit in Cebu in January. I was shocked when I checked with two different travel agents and the plane ticket prices they quoted me were between $1,450.00 and $1,500.00! I found the same prices when I searched on orbitz. bt-store gave me $1,490.00. :) The last time I flew to Cebu was in May of 2006 and the ticket cost about $1,200.00 or so. I had expected the ticket to be a little more expensive this time with higher gas prices, etc., but not that much more. Have ticket prices really gone up that much or am I just not looking on the right days/months/times/etc? I want to visit Cebu so bad, but I cannot justify paying that much for a plane ticket for a two week vacation. If I can't find something less expensive, I'll just have to wait another year and hope that by then I will have things in place to just move there. :)

Steve
I was hoping to maybe visit in Cebu in January. I was shocked when I checked with two different travel agents and the plane ticket prices they quoted me were between $1,450.00 and $1,500.00! I found the same prices when I searched on orbitz. bt-store gave me $1,490.00. :) The last time I flew to Cebu was in May of 2006 and the ticket cost about $1,200.00 or so. I had expected the ticket to be a little more expensive this time with higher gas prices, etc., but not that much more. Have ticket prices really gone up that much or am I just not looking on the right days/months/times/etc? I want to visit Cebu so bad, but I cannot justify paying that much for a plane ticket for a two week vacation. If I can't find something less expensive, I'll just have to wait another year and hope that by then I will have things in place to just move there. :)

That was about the price I paid back in the end of April. So far the best days that I found were Tuesdays for travel. Adjust the days and play around a little. It is time consuming, but you'll find what you are looking for.

Bob Ward

With oil prices soaring it inevitable. The price has risen almost $20 a barrel in the last 30 days to $94.46 today. That almost 27% in a month. The tickets have risen at almost the same rate or about 23%. It will get worse!

squidjerky

I will fly into Cebu from San Francisco on January 8th. My round trip ticket cost about $1132 on hotwire.com. I did see the same ticket listed at up to $1800 on other internet sites. The only down side to my ticket is it is non refundable and on Cathay Pacific. I saw more flexable tickets on Expedia.com for around $1200. Try flying out on tuesday or wednesday. If you can not find a good price try different weeks or even months. Hope this helps.

Have you thought of taking a longer trip? It does seem like a very short trip for such a large expense. Especially for someone who states such love for the place in her posts. Hope you find a good price.

tim

I would try Feburary or March. I used to go over in early winter Feb-Mar and late fall, November, for the best prices. I would leave on a weekday and come back on a Sunday. I live in Memphis, TN. USA, so I would have to fly to the west coast and then fly over. I would always go thru 4 airports - no matter how hard I tried to cut down the connections, never could. Each connection adds a airport fee to the ticket. Then there is the gas surchange. So depending on where you begin the trip there are added costs. It is tough trip, but once you get there, it is worth it. Have fun.

tim

PS Hoping to be over in 2008

Edited by tim

Bob Ward
I would try Feburary or March. I used to go over in early winter Feb-Mar and late fall, November, for the best prices. I would leave on a weekday and come back on a Sunday. I live in Memphis, TN. USA, so I would have to fly to the west coast and then fly over. I would always go thru 4 airports - no matter how hard I tried to cut down the connections, never could. Each connection adds a airport fee to the ticket. Then there is the gas surchange. So depending on where you begin the trip there are added costs. It is tough trip, but once you get there, it is worth it. Have fun.

tim

PS Hoping to be over in 2008

Tim. from Mepphis you should be able to go NWA for a pretty decent fare. But that would be to Manila and then catch Cebu Pacific to Cebu.

T.S.

Try seperating the trip in 2-3 pieces and checking prices separately that way. Something like ORD-LAX, then LAX-CEB.... or ORD-LAX, LAX-MNL, and MNL-CEB. I have saved money doing it in the past. Maybe look for something cheap to Hong Kong or Singapore, then check the Cebu Pacific price from there.

Edited by T.S.

Bob Ward

I have found the same to be true as well. Many don't like to fly into Manila, but I've gotten the hang of it and found a decent place to stay overnight to catch the flights to Cebu in the morning. Got the hang of the Taxis at the Manila airport too so no hassels there either. It saves $2-300 easily on all the fares I've checked. The Hong Kong idea is good as well.

AlbinoPrincess
Have you thought of taking a longer trip? It does seem like a very short trip for such a large expense. Especially for someone who states such love for the place in her posts. Hope you find a good price.

If I could spend more time in Cebu, I most definitely would. Two weeks seems like such a short trip to me as well. The two times I visited Cebu, I stayed for the entire 21 days that the visa would allow without renewing and even that was too short of a time. Unfortunately, I only have two weeks of vacation time coming. ;)

Because of the cost of plane tickets, it looks like I won't get to visit the Philippines after all. Instead I might take a trip out to California and see a couple of my Filipino friends who are now living there. It won't be the same, but it will be as close as I can get.

Hopefully by the end of 2008 I will have everything in place to move back to Cebu and I won't have to worry about only having a couple of weeks.

AlbinoPrincess
Many don't like to fly into Manila, but...It saves $2-300 easily on all the fares I've checked.

I got prices from two different travel agents, as well as checking multiple online sites. All of them quoted me a price around $1,450.00, give or take $50.00. I don't remember what airlines all the online sites were giving me. However, one of the travel agents quoted me a price using Cathay and flying straight to Cebu. The other travel agent quoted me a price using PAL and flying through Manila. I could be wrong, but I am thinking that the PAL price was a little higher than the Cathay price. Even if the Cathay price was higher, I personally wouldn't mind paying an extra $50.00 to fly the better airline (in my opinion) and flying straight to Cebu. On the other hand, if I could find a plane ticket for a couple of hundred dollars cheaper on another airline and had to go through Manila, I would do it.

tradjazz

I returned last month from Cebu. It cost me 784 to fly to Manila from San Francisco. I went by van to Angeles City (another story) and then flew from Clark straight to Cebu, no stop in Manila. From Cebu I took the fast jetboat to Dapitan, and my lady met me there and drove me the rest of the way to Dipolog, my future home.

I caught a NorthWestern special sale and was a repeat flyer on their flights, so got a discount. They have these every so often, register for their web site or check frequently.

You can fly reasonably to San Francisco on Southwest Air, which I highly recommend. I don't know about fares now since oil is just under $100 a barrel. Northwestern has emerged from bankruptcy, but the pilot of my aircraft told me as we sipped coffee before take off that Northwestern could not continue to fly "if oil went to $80 a barrel." That was six weeks ago.

Yes, three weeks is not enough bang for the buck by a long shot. Plan on at least a month.

tom_shor

What time in Jan are you leaving? If you depart before the middle of the month you may still be paying the Christmas season prices. Try a departure toward the end of the month.

T.S.
I returned last month from Cebu. It cost me 784 to fly to Manila from San Francisco. I went by van to Angeles City (another story) and then flew from Clark straight to Cebu, no stop in Manila. From Cebu I took the fast jetboat to Dapitan, and my lady met me there and drove me the rest of the way to Dipolog, my future home.

I caught a NorthWestern special sale and was a repeat flyer on their flights, so got a discount. They have these every so often, register for their web site or check frequently.

You can fly reasonably to San Francisco on Southwest Air, which I highly recommend. I don't know about fares now since oil is just under $100 a barrel. Northwestern has emerged from bankruptcy, but the pilot of my aircraft told me as we sipped coffee before take off that Northwestern could not continue to fly "if oil went to $80 a barrel." That was six weeks ago.

Yes, three weeks is not enough bang for the buck by a long shot. Plan on at least a month.

Northwest. There is no "ern" on the end. :D

AlbinoPrincess
What time in Jan are you leaving? If you depart before the middle of the month you may still be paying the Christmas season prices. Try a departure toward the end of the month.

For curiosities sake I just got on orbitz and punched in that I wanted to travel from February 12 to February 28 (take off on a Tuesday and fly back to the U.S. on a Thursday). The least expensive ticket that came back was on Cathay Pacific and that still cost $1,418 (after taxes, etc.). PAL was $1,658!

Bob Ward

If you try travelocity for those dates from ORD to MNL, PAL is only $1,150 but you will need to catch a CP flight to Cebu! Good thing is you will get in at 5:25 am so no overnight stay!