Thieves prey on 2 foreigners; British shot

David_LivinginTalisay

Seems some on this forum assume he was in the bar @ 4:30am because he was after women and was probably drunk.

Well they are ignoring other possibilities that involve why he had a friend or business acquaintance with him and his laptop.

What if he had flown in from Hong Kong, to Cebu, (on the Cebu Pacific Flight, that lands about 3:30)?

Wanting something to eat and drink and with his friend or business acquaintance to discuss business on the laptop, they go to somewhere they know will be open at that time in the morning and perhaps has WiFi? I also suspect he was not drunk as some on LinC forums assume, and I base my conclusion on his quick reactions.

How many of you, if you were drunk and perhaps hung over @ 4:30am after a session of drinking, would even notice someone had swiped your laptop and was making off with it. Would/could you have jumped up and rushed out of the bar, giving chase? Then if you got shot in the shoulder and stomach would you have tried to grab the laptop? Would you then, despite your 2 x gunshot wounds, jump in a Taxi, and say follow those men on a motorcycle!

Of course that might not be what happened also, but it leaves the options open for a more intellectual discussion about what you might have done in the same circumstances?

Anyone know what a Kensington Lock is?

220px-Kensington-lock-connected.jpg

A security cable attached to a Kensington Security Slot on the side of a laptop PC.

A Kensington Security Slot (also called a K-Slot or Kensington lock) is part of an anti-theft system designed by Kensington Computer Products Group,Ltd.. It is a small, metal-reinforced, oval hole found on almost all small or portable computers and electronics equipment, particularly on expensive ones, such as laptops, computer monitors, desktop computers, gaming consoles, and video projectors. It is used for attaching a lock-and-cable apparatus, in particular those from Kensington.

Locks are generally secured in place with a key or combination lock attached to a rubberized metal cable. The end of the cable has a small loop that allows the cable to be looped around a permanent object, such as a heavy table or other similar equipment, thus securing it in place.

Last time I was in the UK, I picked up a Kensington Lock Cable, from one of those 'Everything for £1' places.

Just need a decent Laptop to protect now - no one in their right mind would steal my Toshiba Satellite 4080CXDT that is 13 years old, and would not last long, without the PSU 'brick', and probably get fed up carrying it, as it weighs 7lbs!

Any replacement for that old, and now underspec laptop, without decent RAM memory, let alone built in Bluetooth or WiFi, would probably be an Android Tablet PC that has from Webcam and supports Skype Video, and may well have built in GPS also.

Seems there are plenty of Anti-Theft Apps on Android Market. Some are for Mobile Phones but if your Tablet has 3G SIM, they may work on such Tablet PC also.

Snuko Android Anti Theft Security. Instantly activate geolocation tracking, data encryption, data backup and device lock down to protect against unauthorised use, all at the touch of a button.

PhoneLocaterPro Complete control over your lost or stolen droid !

Find your lost or stolen phone, auto enable GPS(rooted phones), make it ring, remotely lock, remotely wipe, take a picture of the thief, hide the app, know with whom the thief is speaking!

AndroidLost

Lost your android? We will help you find it. See http://www.androidlost.com

Remote control your android phone from the internet or by SMS.

Features:

* read SMS inbox and sent

* wipe phone

* lock phone

* erase SD card

* locate by GPS or network

* start alarm

* send SMS from web page

* message popup

* forward calls

* remote install

* phone status: battery, imei, etc

* remote SMS alarm

* remote SMS lock and unlock

* remote SMS erase sd card

* remote SMS wipe phone

* remote SMS APN control

* start stop GPS

* start stop WIFI

* hide from launcher

* email when SIM is changed

* get call list

* take picture with front camera

* take picture with rear camera

* make your phone speak with text to speech

* SMS message command

* SMS speak command

* lock timeout

The app does no polling to a server, so there is no extra battery usage.

More details on the web site where you control it from: http://www.androidlost.com.

There are many more like these.

Sure better, and safer, than running after the guys that stole your laptop,

Fastening to the table you are sitting it, with a Kensington Lock cable, is a simple, but very effective deterrent, to stop it getting grabbed in the 1st place (do Tablet PC's have a Kensington Slot?)

Not as drastic as one suggestion posted as Comment to PhilStar.com

:

shaka1000 wrote:

buttons: yes well i am confused....the way it was reported...that the police were hot on the trail...when clearly the trail was ice cold...hope you understand that now that i have cleared it up for you.....a small explosive devise can very easily fitted into a laptop...set to go off by a mobile call to laptop....a small charge of semtax ...the size of a large marble...will take out both bike riders and bike and roughly 10 meters of surrounding area.....though how legal is that in phils...i don't know

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Stranded Shipscook

• Paul

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a better idea. Just don't hang out in bars at 4:30 AM with you laptop. If you are stupid enough to dangle temptations in front of thieves, you WILL get robbed. Present a low profile and do NOT

Hell Robert...you're leaving as fast as you can anyway. If you had buyers for your properties, you would be on the next plane out. I hope you don't ever get mugged in Phoenix and try to fight back. Th

We Brits (most of us) dont react well to guns. It is not unusual to see newspaper reports of Brits in the US, (usually holidaying in Florida) getting shot because someone threatened them with a gun,

Posted Images

Stranded Shipscook

Good point, i think i know the place in Lahug anyway. It's not a girlie bar as people think, just an open place. And no security guard either, but Free Wifi.

The kensingon lock is used by Peter from sailors cabin since years, he , as some know, almost entirely lives in his bamboo Umbrella in the back of the compound, but has to go to toilet sometimes.

funny the comment in Philstar about the explosives in the laptop. Good joke. But what is the purpose if we can not profit from it? data protection? I assume strongly that the thieves are not interested in our data, and most probably don't even know how to use a laptop and will fence it asap.

A_Simple_Man

This may sound a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has left but I have an idea. Some who are reading this may now be concerned about bringing their expensive laptop to a wifi cafe or bar. If snatch and runs are the concern then we need to start attaching the laptop to the table leg or chair leg with a device like the one I show here.

It will not hold up for a long siege but will prevent snatch and runs. I used to have one but lost the key. Anyone seen these for sale in Cebu?

post-2276-0-37753100-1317522452_thumb.jpg

I just hope that everytime we hear of these regular incidents in other parts of the PI, that some people are less quick to judge how Davao City deals with its criminal element.

You can bet your bottom dollar I never will. I'm all for the DDD (Davao Death Squad) to expand around the country, as needed, where needed.

Incidentally, for those who simply wish to give a criminal what he may want at the time he is robbing you - well, that's fine and good. But, there is nothing, and I mean nothing to guarantee that he won't shoot you anyway.

A hero dies one death, a coward, a thousand.

• Like 3

EX-PATS,NOW HEAR THIS!ARM YOURSELVES AND TRUST NO ONE**REPEAT**ARM YOURSELVES AND TRUST NO ONE!!!!!!!

Not an appealing advertisement for the ideal retirement location. I trust things aren't quite that bad. :rofl:

KennyF

You can bet your bottom dollar I never will. I'm all for the DDD (Davao Death Squad) to expand around the country, as needed, where needed.

Incidentally, for those who simply wish to give a criminal what he may want at the time he is robbing you - well, that's fine and good. But, there is nothing, and I mean nothing to guarantee that he won't shoot you anyway.

But they're both equally dead.

And I personally don't think giving a robber or burger with a gun leeway is cowardice.

But that's just me.

KonGC

• Like 1
easy44

While I admire your principles and dedication to them, if I am faced with a robber pointing a .45 in my direction I will give him what he wants. I don't think that is cowardice, just common sense. Sorry, but to do otherwise is foolhardy. The next guy you face with a gun will likely not run but pull the trigger when you come after him. It doesn't matter how big or imposing you are, a .45 will take you out, and there are plenty of guys who will not be afraid to pull the trigger.

• Like 2
Athena

well to me a thief is a thief and will steal anything of value from a white guy to an old grannie... the only good thief is a DEAD thief...and i might even give the guy my little net book as long as he can show me how his making 1 to 200p a day is MY FAULT till then .. this is my lap top there are many like it but this one is mine... steal my lap top and i will not call the police i will not say a word , i promise i will not get mad ,, even yes but mad no and do you think this poor ,,, has to steal person will sell the lap top to feed his 16 children... i dont think so this guy will sell it sure and then go buy some drugs so he can stay awake and find another person with something to steal and it could be a 95 year old crippled women or a young foreiger i am sure it dont matter... so if there is justice in the world some how some way this person will be put down like the animal his is... better dead then red

Hmmm…………….. Rather extreme Smokey but I know what you mean……………………..

Before I met my husband, he was in Peru and was robbed. He went up and gave chased to the robber. Like any 3rd world countries, robbers never work on their own but in a group. So, as expected someone did try to stop my husband giving chase. They ended up in a fisticuff.

I asked him, why did you do that?????????? You are an experience traveller, you know that robber didn’t act on his own, but you risked your life for what???????? And you didn’t even get your wallet back.

His reply was, I might not get the wallet back but I made damn sure he had a blackeye, alright ………..

JamesMusslewhite

Best to life the short life of a true hero, than the venerable existence as a coward.

Davaoeno

Best to life the short life of a true hero, than the venerable existence as a coward.

A guy running out of a bar at 4:30 am chasing 2 guys who are shooting at him in order to get a lap top back is not exactly my idea of " a true hero " ! But i do agree with you on one point- if he keeps that up it will indeed be a short life !

Maybe you can arrange for him to get a medal !.

smokey

to live a life hiding in the shadows trying hard not be noticed , giving in to everyone and every way is not a life its just a person taking up space

KennyF

to live a life hiding in the shadows trying hard not be noticed , giving in to everyone and every way is not a life its just a person taking up space

Are you sure you understand what this thread is about?

Backing off when someone tries to plug you with a 45 is NOT living a life hiding in the shadows trying hard not be noticed.

KonGC

• Like 3
Stranded Shipscook

mmh, hate to disagree. too many "unknowns". Yes, a man/woman is a hero when he/she defends the limbs and lives of others and place his own safety concerns behind partially.

But for a laptop ?

try to see this side:

He is from the UK, his family/government spend 6 digits to raise and "produce" a valuable citizen. Now through his impulsive action he looses his life.

6 digits down the drain. Thank God this person survived, but we all remember the young Norwegian Pinoy who got shot in Manila while interfering with a fighting couple.

We carry also a responsibility to our Nations, Families, friends which sometimes have to be placed above our own personal pride or possessions.

• Like 2
smokey

Are you sure you understand what this thread is about?

Backing off when someone tries to plug you with a 45 is NOT living a life hiding in the shadows trying hard not be noticed.

KonGC

and letting people bend you over without a wrap around is no way to live....get even .... save your money hire a sharpshooter so guys i would like to know what would you do if you were walking home and a women cried out for help.... run as fast as you can home.... if i become afraid of the philippines i am leaving as fast as i can...

Edited by smokey
JamesMusslewhite

A guy running out of a bar at 4:30 am chasing 2 guys who are shooting at him in order to get a lap top back is not exactly my idea of " a true hero " ! But i do agree with you on one point- if he keeps that up it will indeed be a short life !

Maybe you can arrange for him to get a medal !.

He already earned two pieces of worthless medal..........

Edited by JamesMusslewhite